Notices

How cold in Beijing and Shanghai

Old Aug 4th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How cold in Beijing and Shanghai

We have paid for a trip to China on Air China, leaving December 29.2011 from Los Angeles and returning February 7, 2012. The price was to good the pass up. However, how cold is it in China during this time. I am wondering what to bring for warmth. I don't mind bringing warm clothes, I would rather be warm and drag all that stuff i.e coats, muffs, boots etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 03:58 PM

www.weatherbase.com

It will be cold.
Old Aug 4th, 2011, 06:35 PM

It will be cold. We were in Beijing last Nov. the cold temperature does not bother us, but strong gusts of wind often accompanied by dust made being a tourist a difficult task. Sometimes the gusts were so strong that I wanted to just stay indoors!!
So you need to take scarves, mitts/gloves, warm socks, boots etc. etc.
In addition, the rooms in buildings are heated, but hallways, stairways are not. Thus, when you come out of a room you will be bone chilled and then go out in the cold wind.
It was not too pleasant.
Thus, wishing you good luck with weather. Maybe this winter will be better.
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 04:08 AM

I was in Shanghai and Beijing in January, 2011. Shanghai was cold, but, Beijing and further north ( Harbin @ Minus 20C ) are really cold.
Beijing will be around Minus 5 C or so. Agree about all the above for clothing. Take a beanie if you have one as well.

I was waiting in Tiananmen Square in the late afternoon for the flag lowering ceremony. Just froze. The police clear everyone out of the square immediately after the ceremony. Walked about a kilometer and could hardly feel my feet and hands, even with boots on, good socks and inner liners,as well as good gloves .
Finally found a KFC and went in there to warm up.
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. I am still looking forward to China. I will take all my warm clothes.
Old Aug 5th, 2011, 07:16 AM

Forgot to add--during the cold weather, we noticed that all over Beijing there were street vendors selling a huge variety of hats, scarves and gloves at a very, very reasonable price. And all the high end stores also had tons of winter wear at affordable prices. In addition, there are millions of varieties of coats at the stores.
Thus, if you dont want to carry everything you might need to stay warm, plan to buy there.
Of course, when you begin shivering you can run to a McDonalds, KFC or Starbucks for warmth.
Have a great trip and enjoy the planning.
Old Aug 6th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

It's nice to know there is a KFC and McDonald's, I don't even eat at them here in CA, but I may have to there after hearing about some of the food they serve. Can anyone recommend a restaurant in China?
Old Aug 6th, 2011, 10:25 PM

It's not a huge freeze but it's cold. Shanghai is wetter than Beijing so it's colder to the bone. Beijing is dry... so dry it's blue skies and no snow (mostly). Pack some gloves and a jacket or trade light and buy them there as disposables. Cold either way but no freezing.
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 01:37 PM

A few photos taken in Harbin and Beijing in January, 2011. Lets you see how the locals handle the weather
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...79a2288&type=1..
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 04:59 PM

@gearsau, hello i have seen your photos in the link and they're great. I just want to ask if a DSLR can handle outdoor cold whether for the whole day? I will go to Shanghai this december. Thanks.
Old Nov 6th, 2011, 09:43 PM

You camera battery will not last the whole in sub-zero temperature unless you keep it warm.
Restaurants in China? Your question is too broad. Millions of restaurants in China. Please be more specific.
Old Nov 8th, 2011, 01:29 PM

>>

This is like saying "can anyone recommend a restaurant in the USA? I was in China last December for almost 2 weeks and never had a problem finding food. The trick is simple... look for a place with tables and chairs and go in and give it a try. I often ordered whatever seemed to be closest to sweet and sour chicken/pork (called "cherries meat" at one place) as I knew it wouldn't be too spicy for me. Give the food a chance, you might be surprised at how incredibly good it can be. I think the best steak in my life was at a restaurant in Shanghai.

As for cold temps, layers are your friend. I was in Beijing and Shanghai the second half of December and was often running around in Cuddl Duds, jeans and a sweater. Sometimes I added the fleece liner of my coat and sometimes the shell of the coat. LAYERS. Wind was the main issue in Beijing so adding a lightweight base layer (think lightweight long underwear like Cuddl Duds or Underarmor) really helped keep me comfy. It really helped block the wind, but wasn't insanely hot inside. A scarf was an easy layer to add or leave off. Thin, knit gloves were great. I didn't take boots but did take a pair of SmartWool socks for in my tennis shoes if needed. I think I also packed a pair of tights for yet another light layer but never needed them.

Granted, I'm used to Iowa weather and you're not. Beijing was warmer than what I'm used to in December.

As for the question about the camera battery, it really depends on how cold it is and what you're doing. Weather fluctuates. I didn't have any issues with my battery (I had a point and shoot). If you're worried that it's simply too cold for it, make a point to put it inside a bag when you can. Wrap it in your scarf in your bag if you're going to have it put away for a little while. If you're going to stop for lunch, pull the battery out and put it inside your coat, close to your body, to warm it up.

Do remember a second (or third) battery, but I would suggest that for any destination.
Old Nov 9th, 2011, 06:09 AM

About the post above that says "look for tables and chairs", I would add, also look for people. If the place is full it is a good sign. If it is empty then avoid it. Locals know best.