Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Just how cold is it in Beijing and Shanghai in Dec/Jan?

Notices

Old Jun 28th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I normally post on the Europe board as I am planning a trip to England, France, Belgium and Netherlands. In fact we leave in 13 days! I have planned this trip to death so now I feel the urge to start planning the next. I received a brochure from SmarTours for a ten day trip to Beijing and Shanghai for $699.00 plus $195.00 taxes and fees. I am thinking of taking my son so we will have to go in Dec/Jan so that he misses the fewest days of school. I have looked at wunderground for the weather and it states 15 to 30 degrees. We are from California and I can't quite relate to these temperatures. Will it be miserable? Snowy? Rainy? Will we be able to go to the Great Wall? (The number one reason for going on the trip at all.) Any comments on SmarTours China tours that are current? Any help is appreciated.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 06:49 PM

I was in Shanghai in January and it was COLD. But then this was a cold winter and it snowed in Jan tho not while I was there. The wind chill factor is quite high and unlike the US everything is NOT heated so getting inside is not necessarily warmer in many places. You can certainly still go to the Great Wall. Whether you come at all depends on how much you like cold weather!
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 05:36 PM

Shanghai likely will be very cool, drab, and wet. Beijing, especially in January, will be bitter cold and, probably, snowy. The weather should not hinder you from pursuing the usual visitor activities. If you have the chance to go and a good price, GO. ZZ
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 05:57 PM

I'll take Dec/Jan in these cities over Jul/Aug any day

It's such a subjective thing though. All I can say is I live in Southern California and had no problems with the temps that time of year in Beijing or Shanghai.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

hobbes, that is very interesting about not being able to always get in out of the cold, something we take for granted.

Zambezi, I think the tour price is so good that we will go for it.

Patty, I am glad to hear a fellow Californian braved the winter weather also. It is always easier to dress for cold weather than to "un" dress for hot weather.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. Now has anyone gone on a SmarTour to China recently?
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 12:46 PM

Here is another point of view:
We never vacation when its cold- we pay a lot of money to go on vacation and we want to enjoy it- meaning not having to bundle up or deal with bone chilling rain. If its a choice of hot/humid versus cold clammy wet - we will take the heat!
The point here is know thy self (and more importantly know thy spouse!) and plan accordingly
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

BillT, Very good point. My entire family loves to scuba dive including myself. BUT, I only dive in warm water. That cold water stuff is too hard. I should probably apply this same logic to this trip. It just seem that the price for the tour is to good to pass up and these dates are the only ones that my travel partner (my 17 year old son) would be able to go on. Gotta weight the pros and cons, thus the question about the weather.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 03:01 PM

I'm from S. Calif and was recently asking a similar question about an upcoming December trip. Was originally thinking Hong Kong and Beijing, but I have to say that I agree with Bill - being in weather that cold is just not my idea of a vacation!

So now for me, it's Hong Kong and Thailand. I realize you're looking at tours, but there may be other (warmer) options.

Old Jun 30th, 2005, 06:36 PM

Beijing was very very cold when I was there but I think it was a record cold spell. Shanghai was warm by comparison but still definitely winter. Sort of like NY. I didn't have any snow but it was definitely cold enough for it in Beijing.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 03:30 AM

Hi

My wife and I went to China in March a couple of years back. It was pretty freezing in Beijing in the mornings and in the evenings and when we went to the Great Wall at Simatai there was still a bit on snow left on the wall I have posted a trip report with some pictures on my personal homepage http://gardkarlsen.com. You can also check www.weatherbase.com for weather stats.

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway