Tokyo only tour

Search

Tokyo only tour

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2022, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tokyo only tour

Looking for a tour toTokyo. I prefer one that would allow me to stay in one place, that is the same hotel, and then take side trips. I don't do well on long bus trips. Plan to travel solo. First time trip to Japan. I've been looking at various tours such as Road Scholar, but they include too many bus rides and destinations for me. Suggestions are welcome. Thank you.
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 02:44 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I think most people buy tours to get hauled all over a country or region & stay in a variety of places, many for just a night or 2. What you want is just the opposite & what I prefer myself, sometimes staying for a month. I don’t know if a tour is for you as you can easily arrange an accommodation that suits you very well, then buy day trips & city tours for walking, history, cooking, whatever interests you. I think by doing that you’ll get closer to activities & sightseeing that suit you than a generic tour or even one with a particular emphasis. If I were you, that’s how I’d approach it.

Old Oct 9th, 2022, 04:37 PM

Yes, I agree 100%. You really don't need a tour - there are local tours you can arrange if you really feel you need help. Have you looked at japan-guide.com?

I did my first trip to Japan - Tokyo - on my own - very easy....
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 05:07 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you are only visiting Tokyo (or even if you were to do say Tokyo + maybe Kyoto or someplace) there is no reason at all to need a tour. Book Flights, book hotel, read up in a couple of guidebooks to see what your "must do's" are - and go.

Is there a reason you think a tour is the way to go??

My first trip to Japan was very short and solo -- 3 days/nights in Kyoto, 2 days/3 nights in Tokyo, flying in to Tokyo followed by train to Kyoto, then train back to Tokyo for the last 2 nights . . . and it never crossed my mind I'd need a tour company. Not sure what advantage there would have been.

Sometimes (just sometimes) for a multi city, complicated itinerary one might benefit from booking a tour -- but a single city trip?? no need . . .
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 11:28 PM

There are a lot to see across the Greater Tokyo area, so sticking to tokyo alone can make sense. Rather booking a tour, perhaps book a couple of day trips.

Tokyo train and metro system is extremely extensive, efficient and effective. A tour is probably not needed for transport reasons.

For museums, especially national museums, they should provide audio guide in English.

Maybe consider the following programme?

https://www.japan.travel/en/plan/lis...unteer-guides/
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your thoughts. Normally, I would not look for a tour, but I am under the impression that Japan is only open now for tour groups.
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 12:19 PM
mjs

Nope
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

thank you,mjs. I'll check that out. It would be so much easier not to use a tour.
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by mjs
Nope
agree, a big NOPE.

annetti, Japan re-opened to DIY travel on Oct 11 The plan was announced last month.
Old Oct 12th, 2022, 10:52 AM

Be aware of the requirement to have the MySOS app on your phone. It will allow Japan entry without the 72 hour test or quarantine. It’s not difficult, just a bit tedious to complete.

You need to upload your passport and proof of three shots, as well as flight information, hotel address and complete a health questionnaire. For US citizens a blue screen and QR code signifies application approval.
Old Oct 13th, 2022, 10:52 AM

MySOS is for pre-registration for quarantine procedures. Do it and you can use what they are calling Fast Track.

It can be done via the MySOS App or via MySOS Web. I started the process on my laptop and finished on my iPhone. I will probably add the app to my iPad (wifi).

From the website you can print out the blue page and the page with the QR code and use them. I see the blue page on my iPhone and it says that is all I need, though I don't see a QR code - just have to click a button on the blue page to see the QR code, just like on the website. I have to look into this. I will probably take the printouts too.

There is also the Visit Japan Web which I just used to register and complete the immigration and customs forms.

The following website sounds like the MySOS pre-registration is going to be folded into the VJW for use by arrivals starting Nov 14th
1_MySOS Web : Pre-registration for Quarantine procedures
https://teachme.jp/111284/manuals/17089694/

[my understanding is that MySOS is no longer required and you can still get in using paper (vax card or test certificate), but it is required for Fast Track]

Last edited by mrwunrfl; Oct 13th, 2022 at 11:22 AM.
Old Oct 13th, 2022, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all again. All the registration apps sound a bit daunting. Annetti
Old Oct 13th, 2022, 06:11 PM

It would be, I think, only the MySOS registration that would make a difference and that would be only when they have the proof of vaccine or test requirement for entry. That could go away at some point and maybe come back.

The other registrations were for immigration and customs. It is just filling out the forms online in advance. Those are the forms they have always handed out on the plane. Maybe the MySOS gets you to an immigration officer before most people on your flight Bur, pre-pandemic, I got into the long immigration line at NRT an hour before a connecting flight to ITM and had no problem.

Saw one youtuber who was on a domestic flight on the 11th and stopped by the HND international terminal. He was there 3 hours after flights from the US and elsewhere had arrived. Some people were still just getting to the arrival hall. My guess is that the MySOS people had already arrived.

Another youtuber couple flew into KIX on the 11th and, using MySOS, "jumped the line". She said it only took 10 or 15 minutes though am not sure for what. Probablty just I&C.

Last edited by mrwunrfl; Oct 13th, 2022 at 06:14 PM.
Old Oct 13th, 2022, 07:49 PM

While true you can do everything upon arrival, I think it’s just so much easier doing it at home at your time and convenience. I wouldn’t want to do it on an immigration computer, inputting the necessary information after a long flight like a family friend just had to do because of a phone problem. I want to get out of immigration asap. Just my opinion.

And one needs to keep up with any changes to the entry requirements as things progress.
Old Oct 13th, 2022, 07:54 PM

And like mrwnrfl, I’ve been in that hour plus line at Narita immigration when multiple flights arrive simultaneously. Yuck!
Old Oct 14th, 2022, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by curiousgeo
And like mrwnrfl, I’ve been in that hour plus line at Narita immigration when multiple flights arrive simultaneously. Yuck!
I wasn't clear. It wasn't a one hour line. I made it through I&C and got to the gate of my connecting flight to Osaka in less than an hour. It was a long line of people but moved quickly enough.

Found my flight info: This was in 2017
(LAX) 12:35 PM TOKYO, JAPAN
(NRT - NARITA) 4:25 PM (31MAR)
(NRT - NARITA) 5:55 PM OSAKA JP
(ITM) 7:15 PM

Of course, the number of visitors to Japan continued to increase in the months and years after that trip, so I would imagine that lines got longer. Still, I don't recall any issue with long lines at NRT in Nov 2019.

I did all three registrations, but my point was that if that sounds daunting then I am suggesting that the first one, for the quarantine procedure via MySOS, is the one that is very worthwhle doing. At least for now.

Am not sure if pre-registering for immigration and for customs will save me any time. I will still have to see an immigration officer to get the entry stamp and the 30-day Temporary Visitor sticker. A few minutes for immigration and then a few seconds to get by customs.

Maybe it will save time, but at least there is the benefit of not having to fill out the paper forms on the plane: my handwriting has gotten awful and I sometimes forget to take a pen. Even just checking a box, neatly and clean, is no sure thing anymore.
Old Oct 14th, 2022, 10:14 AM

That hour long immigration line was January 2020, spilled out of immigration into the hallway leading into the area. The majority of our previous trips were relatively quick, with a few more crowded than others. I suppose it just depends on air traffic at arrival time.

Covid was just a blip in the news on that last trip, but Japan immigration had temperature monitors set up and everyone working at the airport, flight crews, shop and restaurant workers, airport staff were all masked.
Old Oct 16th, 2022, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Lots of information above. Thanks you.