Tokyo nightlights

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 11:17 PM
gayle

Tokyo nightlights

Ive visited Tokyo a few years ago but had small children with me and didnt do much at nighttime.

Im returning in January and wish to experience Tokyo at night. Not fussed about bars just want to walk around in the best area for the neon lights and atmosphere. Where is the best area for this now? Thanks

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 07:23 AM
gaijin

hi,

If you're looking for Neon lights and walking around, no other place will beat Shinjuku! This place is riddled with replicas of the empire state building and neon as far as the eye can see. You can also pop into a few bars while you are at it. Shinjuku is also the home of Kabuki-cho which is probably the wildest district in tokyo for nightlife, but mind you the cabs from there can get quite pricey but fun

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 07:35 AM
nori

Yes, Shinjuku is a good place to walk around, and lots to see or buy. Kabuki-cho is a very tacky area even for a Japanese like me but may be interesting for you to take a glace. Still not a dangerous place even for a solo walker.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 07:48 AM
w

Shibuya is also good fun and not quite so tacky as Kabuki-cho

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Leslie

I'd been interested in suggestions of what to do after dark WITH kids. Mine are ages 14 and 12. Don't want to go to nightclub areas.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:29 AM
w

Go to Odaiba, ride the Big Wheel and other rides, enjoy casual restaurants etc. That's one choice anyway.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Nori

Gayle, sorry somehow I thought you meant "without kids" this time. With kids, it could be embarrasing to be in
Kabuki-cho but other parts of Shinjuku
is quite ok, with lots of young and after-work crowds. Speaking of young crowd, I hear Shibuya could get extremely crowded of especially youth
(eg, 12 to 20 y.o.) around the JR railway station area, more youth and even more crowded than Shinjuku,which is why I have never been to Shibuya for last 10 years. But in your case with 2 kids, Shibuya could as well be
appropriate.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 12:50 PM
stephen

Gayle,
I've been living in Tokyo for the past year and would not recommend Shinjuku as highly as Shibuya. Walking from Shibuya Station (on the Yamanote Line) up toward the 109 Building is Blade Runner, less the menace.

Also, walking from Harajuku Station (one stop from Shibuya), up Omotesando Dori to Omotesando Crossing, while there is less neon, is arguably a better walk.

Back streets off of Omotesando are also a delight: quieter, very atmospheric, and very safe. In fact, I've seen women walking on very quiet back streets (sometimes stumbling drunk) without a care about safety. This ability to discard concerns that I'd have in New York or Chicago and just take in the night is one of my favorite things about being here.

Hope you can make it back.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 03:52 PM
gayle

Thanks everyone for their help. The info is exactly what I was after. - Nori you were right my query was without kids, so thanks.
In answer to Leslie what to do with kids after dark, I must confess that when we took ours 9, 11, 13 we walked them so hard from 7am to 7pm that all they were good for was collapsing in bed ha ha. The tiny little restaurants with just a couple of tables were always nice and with kids, people always came up to us and tried to communicate. The fun arcades are also a good laugh a bit relaxing with many Japanese people surrounding us while my husband armed wrestled the machine and they all applauded when he won - the kids loved it.
Have a great time - Japan with kids is fantastic place to travel.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Leslie

Thanks, Gayle. We'll probably do the same - have dinner, take a nice hot bath and fall into bed!

Sorry to encroach on your post and confuse matters. I should have done my own post about what to do WITH kids in the evenings. We'll be staying in Asakusa so maybe the shops will be open?

Have fun on your trip.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 10:59 AM
Florence

Bonjour Leslie,

Asakusa shops close rather early, except for the bars located in the small alleys behind and to the right of the temple. They are fun to go since this is the place where people go to bet on horses, bicycle races, etc. and get cheap but delicious yakitori (barbecued chicken bits). You can safely take kids there for an evening meal, and you won't meet many tourists.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 09:17 PM
gayle

No problem Lynette, enjoy the trip - I cant wait - I love Japan, this will be my 8th trip but only the second time to visit Tokyo where Ill have 4 days so trying to think of all the things I really want to see and do. Cant wait for the nightlights, fishmarket, and trip to Hakone and then have to decide on the rest. Planning is 1/2 the fun isnt it.
Thanks also Stephen for your answer - Ive cut and pasted the info to take with me. - Gayle

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 09:19 PM
gayle

Sorry Leslie (typo Lynette!!)_