Shinagawa? Tokyo

Search

Shinagawa? Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shinagawa? Tokyo

After looking at all the different Tokyo neighborhoods and getting some advice here on the message boards, I figured that Ebisu would be the best place for me. The Westin, however, is a little too pricey for me , and the Hotel Excellent Ebisu seems a little too no frills. I have been trying to locate any other hotels in this neighborhood, but can't seem to find any others on the net. I really want to stay in a neighborhood that has things going on, but that is not too crazy. I want to experience ALL the craziness that Tokyo has to offer, but actually stay in an area that is slightly more low key. What is Shinagawa like? I know that the Shinagawa Prince Hotel is not too far from the Shinagawa station - (the website makes it look like a nice hotel complex) what is going on in this area? I have read on here that there is not too much going on here.. While I would like to stay in an area that is lower key, I still would like to be in an area that still has something going on.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 04:14 PM

If you want to go to a "happening" spot, I would suggest the Rappongi district. Another happening spot where I have stayed at on my last 2 trips to Tokyo is Shinjuku. It's a little more low key than Rappongi.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 04:20 PM

apatinage:

Have you looked at Shinjuku?

A couple of subways stops past Ebisu, Shinjuku is a vary vibrant suburb in Tokyo. Lots of restaurants and shopping in this neiborhood. The Shinjuku station is one of the major stations in Tokyo so connections to almost everywhere in Tokyo eminate from there. Others will have suggestions. Check out the hotel link below to some of the hotel choices in that area

http://www.keioplaza.com/index.html

I also stayed at the hyatt in Shinjuku which was very nice. you can try hyatt.com for that one.

Aloha!

Old Jul 24th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

so, Shinjuku is a neighborhood that has alot going on (restaurants, shopping), but not necessarily an over the top "Times Square" like place with billions of neon signs everywhere and a mad rush of people?
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 05:06 PM

actually Shinjuku does have a "Times Square", and does have an area with a lot of neon and if you go to the train station area during morning and evening rush hours you will see literally millions of people moving like ants on a hunt, it's unbeleivable!

Aloha!
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 05:11 PM

a little more Shinjuku information

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3011.html

Aloha!
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Looking at the photos of Shinjuku, it looks like an AMAZING place! I can't wait to visit, however I am wondering if there is a neighborhood that is not as over the top as Shinjuku. Living in Manhattan, I know that if I were a tourist, I would want to visit Times Square, however I don't think I would necessarily want to stay in a hotel around there and be greeted with thousands of people when I step out of the front door- I would rather stay in an area like the Upper West Side - a vibrant neighborhood with plenty of shopping and restaurants , but that is not over the top. As I have never been to Tokyo, is there such a neighborhood on that side of town?
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 06:22 PM

If you look at the map on the link that ht gave then you will see the "skyscraper district" to the west of Shinjuku station. Except for the hotels it is mostly office buildings which means that it is pretty quiet at night in the neighborhood. It is a short walk to the action packed areas of Shinjuku and/or some hotels (the Hilton at least) have shuttle buses to the hotel.

But any decent high rise hotel will be quiet enough.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 02:15 AM

I would not call Shinjuku a nice residential neighbourhood--it's more Grand Central/Midtown with a big train station terminal and office blocks.

Areas near Hilton etc are not THAT busy, but 10-15 min walk from the station would be.

You can even find hotels in Roppongi that is "not too crazy" if it is not
facing main street. Areas around Hotel Okura is actually very quiet (neighbours including US ambassador).

If you want something really quiet--more like W80s and WEA, you can try Miyako Hotel near Meguro. Several subway stops from Roppongi/Azabu Juban, but not much happening around Meguro.

Old Jul 25th, 2006, 02:38 AM

since I am travelling to Tokyo for the first time myself, I am very interested in this thread. This Shinagawa area where the Shinagawa Prince Hotel is located... what kind of area is this? things to do? over the top? more laidback?
Are there any other hotels in Ebisu besides the Westin at the Yebisu Garden Place and the Hotel Excellent Ebisu? I have been trying to search online and I can't find anything else in Ebisu.