Tokyo: Disney Sea hotels

Sep 27th, 2005, 01:58 PM
emd
Original Poster

Tokyo: Disney Sea hotels

We are going to Disney Sea at end of a few days in Tokyo and want to stay in one of the hotels close by or on site. Has anyone stayed in any of those hotels and how was it? Room-type recommendations would be appreciated for whatever hotel you've experienced.
Sep 27th, 2005, 02:32 PM

We've stayed 3 times at the Tokyo Bay Hilton. Always great. Easy walk to the monorail, or they run a Mickey Bus to the monorail station, which is fun at least once. The restaurant Square in the Tokyo Bay Hilton is EXCELLENT. It's a buffet, but stations where a country is represented (Asian in the section we ate in), where you can take already plated portions, or order what you'd like from a short menu, made to order.

Room type...doesn't matter one bit. You won't be in it except to sleep. Just book the cheapest room, and keep checking rates, becaues they often go down.

Finally, do NOT go to Disney Sea on a holiday, Saturday or Sunday. It's just too crowded to enjoy. Everyone who I know who has been on a weekend/hoiday has spent most of their time in line, even with the fastpass system (you can only get one fastpass ticket at a time), and ridden only 5 or 6 attractions. We've always gone on days that school is in session and had minimal or no waits...much better.
Sep 27th, 2005, 02:56 PM
emd
Original Poster

We would be there on a Thurs. night (for the evening ticket) and Friday in mid-April (april 13 and 14) then going on to Hakone early Sat., then on to Kyoto and beyond.
What kind of rates do you get at that Hilton, Kim? I know you like to book and keep checking back- does that strategy help at that Hilton (maybe not so much since it is a resort area)?
Does the buffet have food for a vegetarian, like pasta and veggies (my 13 yr old daughter, no fish, no meat)?
We would really like to stay onsite at the MiraCosta, but it is so expensive and we need two nights.
And is there an exec. level at that Hilton?
Thnaks, Kim. Didn't orinignally want to go to a park like this, but after looking into this park the theming looks fantastic, unlike any other park we've been to.
Sep 27th, 2005, 03:18 PM

Friday should be fine. We've been that week in April, and the Disneyland Park has had some school groups, but Disney Sea was just about free of lines. The show in the harbor at Disney Sea is very nice. Even my husband, the Disney hater, likes Disney Sea. There is a new loop roller coaster atraction. See the show "Mystic Rhythms" near that and Indiana Jones. The Journey to the Center of the Earth is our favorite...just try to keep your eyes open (you'll know just what I mean after you've ridden once). A nice place for lunch is the Italian restaurant on the Venetian Harbor. You can make a priority seating reservation when you go by it in the morning. Ask for an outside table next to the gondolas. The food is OK...not great, but certainly not bad, but the outdoor atmosphere is relaxing and the wine is good

The Miracosta is nice, but IMO it's not at all worth what they charge for it. The Hilton, Sheraton, Tokyu, Okura...they are all 10 minutes from the park, not an inconvenience at all.

Tokyo Bay rates...we've never paid more than 20,000/night, with breakfast. This is one Hilton where I would skip the executive floor. The lounge is small, the breakfast scant up there, and the place closes at 5:00 pm, so no evening snacks and drinks. We've never paid for it there, but were upgraded to it once...room was the same size with different soap, and the lounge was of no benefit to us at all. Really, book the cheapest room, a bounce back rate will have breakfast included, which is nice in the restaurant, and expensive if you pay for it. I do keep checking rates, and they do go down. Last year, I originally booked with points, but changed it to pay because the rate got so low...13,000 yen I believe. As long as you don't book a net direct rate or other that is paid in advance you can change to the lower rate at any time. Yes, the strategy works.

For vegetarians, no problem. The places in Disney Sea have tons of choices, and the Hilton restaurants do too. The staff speak great English there, and are very accommodating.

Sep 27th, 2005, 03:46 PM

for vegetarians, i recommend natto with negi with a dollop of wasabi. yum. .
Sep 27th, 2005, 04:13 PM

kurano
you just got to eat that natto and onion over a hot bowl of rice with a little bit of shoyu
Sep 27th, 2005, 04:18 PM

ht, that is good too, with a side of vienna sausage. lol.
Sep 27th, 2005, 04:22 PM

If you're going to eat natto at all, you should include the raw egg cracked over the stop and gently stirred into it. Greatly increases the stretch quality of the stuff. Ask my daughter...she loves the stuff. Me - I don't touch the stuff.
Sep 27th, 2005, 04:35 PM

hai, tamago, oishii with natto, and steaming gohan. your daughter must be a gourmet, like ht and myself. next time, try it with some diced maguro mixed in with the natto.
Sep 27th, 2005, 05:03 PM
emd
Original Poster

Konnichi wa. Hajime machite. Watashi wa emd-san desu.

I just came from my first Japanese for Travelers class.

Thanks very much for the help, Kim. But kuranosuke, I don't think my daughter will go for the natto. Japanese pastry for breakfast will be her speed.

Ja mada!
Sep 27th, 2005, 05:41 PM

emd, your japanese is excellent. ja atode.
Sep 28th, 2005, 02:19 AM
emd
Original Poster

Tokyo Bay Hilton is 39000 yen for a normal twin rm. for 4/13/06. Right now, it is 7000 more than the MiraCosta, but I'll check back later and see how the rates progress.
Sep 28th, 2005, 03:39 AM

Too early to book discount rates for next April. After January they will be loaded, maybe sooner, but in my experience, not till after the New Year. 39,000 is rack rate. The rate will be nowhere close to 39,000/night...99% guarantee. You could book at that rate if you want to and change later, but I wouldn't even bother. Just check every now and then until 2006, then check often.

Note that the Miracosta's rooms aren't too badly priced for the low grade rooms...the ones that face the parking lot and garden side...not a bad view, but not special at all, nothing dynamic to see at all. The only thing I would stay there for is a room directly on the Venetian Harbor, and I'd want a balcony. Great view of the night time show in the harbor and fireworks. The Port Paradisio Side rooms with full harbor view and up are the only rooms I'd consider, and they start at 49,000/night. Your week in April is regular season (seasons don't really change from year to year beyond a day or two), so that makes it 59,000/night. No breakfast. Plus tax. As much as I'd love to splurge on that, I can think of lots of things that money could buy and get better value.

But, it's your vacation, your special trip with your daughter, so if you want to stay there, it's not a bad hotel at all. Just really do it right, take the plunge and get a great room with a view. The other rooms are no better than any of the other hotels that will cost you much less.

Wherever you stay, do try to eat the Square in the Hilton. We found the Miracosta restaurant to be nice in atmosphere, but short on food quality and quantity.