Tokyo

Apr 3rd, 2006, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Tokyo

Hi,
How difficult is it to stay in Tokyo and get around? Do all hotels speak English? What about transportation? I would like to go and maybe visit a school or two, would this be possible? I am a teacher and want to see how we differ or are alike.
Apr 3rd, 2006, 03:30 PM
emd

Re English: It depends on what kind of hotel you stay in. Higher end western hotels usually will have an English spekaing staff/concierge. Japanese business hotels or lower end hotels, maybe, but moaybe not (more likley not from what I hear on this board and others).

Tokyo is easy to get around in with gret train and subway systems. Signs in the trains and stations are in English and Japanese. Most people who do not speak English have no trouble getting around.

On the teacher thing, I doubt they are just going to let you have access to a school unless you arrange that ahead of time. There is a teacher named Lyndie on the www.japan-guide.com board who has made connections in Japan and does some school/educational work when she goes to Japan. You might try posting on that board, I bet she will see your post. But do not title it something vague like "Tokyo". Title your post, "Teacher with Interest in Visiting Japanese School System" or something like that to catch her eye (and others who might have the info you are looking for). She posts here too but not as much as on that other board.
Apr 3rd, 2006, 09:23 PM

from my experience, even though they do not speak much english, they would be able to understand basic english. We didn't have much problem even at a budget hotel in Asakusa. We even managed to send our luggage from that hotel to a Marriot hotel with the help of the front desk staff who barely speaks english and we barely speak Japanese!

Transport is pretty much covered by train (JR and the metro system).
Apr 4th, 2006, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks much. What would be the best means to find a reasonably priced room and what would you consider reasonable in Tokyo? I am thinking of something comparable to, say, $150 in the U.S..
Apr 4th, 2006, 05:33 AM

Hi

I think that it was quite easy to get around Tokyo. We used the metro a lot and that was not that much different compared to the metro in NYC, London og Paris. I have posted a trip report with pictures and links on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/japan_tokyo.htm . Maybe you can find some useful info there. The people didn't seem to have a great urge to speak English but it seemed like they understood. But with a bit of pointing and creativity you can find out a lot

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Apr 14th, 2006, 03:35 AM

Get in touch with your embassy and/or an international school. I have an Aussie mate who works in a kindergarten in Tokyo and she has lots of ex-pat friends (American). Just get in touch with the american schools if you want to look around.