Heat /rain in Bangkok-Chiang Mai-April

Old Apr 11th, 2006, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heat /rain in Bangkok-Chiang Mai-April

I'm still asking questions to be fully prepared for our 26 day journey to Thailand and Malaysia.
While I knew April in Bangkok was very hot (94-96) I did not think that there was more than a 20% of rain. The forecast for the next 10 days has a 40-60% chance of thundershowers each day. Are these just the 30 minute vaiety once a day?
Also, I was hoping to get some temperature relief in Chiang Mai by 6-8 degrees but it has been 99 and is forecasted to be 95+ each day for the next 10.
I geared the trip around diving in Malaysia (March-July is best) but thought 90-92 was what to expect in Bangkok. Hopefully our 5 full days will be somewhat cooler in Koh Samui or am I dreaming? Just want to be psychologically prepared.Input from those just returning and those there now would clarify the above for me. Thanks!
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 05:52 AM

April - May are the hottest months of the year, especially 2nd half of April and 1st half of May. While in Bangkok day time will average 95 with highs over 100; Night time will not be much different (probably mid 80's). The north is even hotter in day time, but temperature drops to a bearable level after sunst (70's) and its a bit less humid with less chance of rain. Koh Samui temperature-wise will be like BKK but i think with a bit more chance of rain. Bear in mind that at this time of year the rain is not a day long drizzle but rather a short-lived heavy monsoon shower which actually cleans and freshen the air a bit. Lots of water and easy-going attitude and u'll be fine.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 08:21 PM

we found may and june not any more unbearable than nov/dec during our trips the last two years...

rain---we found that if we wanted to swim that we do it in the morning because it coulded up about noon every day....some days there was a 1/2- 1 hour rain in the mid afternoon and twice it rained right into the late evening... but after the rain it was fresh, but steamy, and you could go right on with your scheduled events...

when it rained however it really rained...you could not be out in it and the wind blew...taxis are of course more difficult to get then....we waited for one hour on new rd near harmonique for a taxi but never go one...even with thai help...

have alternative plans....take a nap...go to a good indoor restaurant....go to a mall...
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 08:21 PM

STAN---TIME TO STOP PLANNING AND START PACKING....SIT BACK AND ENJOY THE REST...

bob
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 08:22 PM

good buys on antiques during rain storms...no customers about so you get the "special" lucky customer discount...
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 11:02 AM

There is a surprising amount of rain this April but humidity is not too bad at all (that's what kills you, not the heat alone). Heavy, heavy rain forecast for the next few days in Chiang Mai, but Bangkok is looking like it should stay dry. After that it should be dry - like I said, the rain is very unseasonal for BKK + CM - although Bangkok will probably get very nastily humid as a result(we cannot carry on being this lucky). Rain has been more than the 30 minute variety - 1 hour or more variety, but plenty of blue skies in between.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

rhkkmk. We are packed-90% and off tomorrow.
The many questions I ask are for daily itinerary planning if when I get up the forcast is rain or mostly clear.
It just can be more pleasant doing certain things in the rain vs. in the sun. We have so much we want to do in 4 full days that as we travel the world I plan and plan and ask questions for this talk forum I think is just for that purpose.
We will be rinning around in Bangkok and Chiang Mai in city and day trips but then 5 nights to relax with maybe a 3 hour island tour at the most so no planning there really necessary except some good restuarants within 1-2miles of the Sala Samui. But, when I asked that question 3-4 weeks ago I got only 1 suggestion, I hate to leave it to hotel recommendations but to fellow travels.
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 05:27 AM

stan---i was just giving you a hard time...some many questions, so little time....

HAVE A GREAT TRIP...let us know along the way how it is going and make sure to write a full report upon your return for our benefit and for the benefit of newbies...
Old Apr 14th, 2006, 06:13 AM

Have a great trip, Stan!