Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > English/Japanese speaking companion in Tokyo

English/Japanese speaking companion in Tokyo

May 31st, 2004, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

English/Japanese speaking companion in Tokyo

Hello,
We will be in Tokyo for 3 days, the first week in August...there are 5 of us, my husband, myself, and our 3 children (teen and pre-teen). My husband and I were in Tokyo by ourselves a few years ago, and thought the language barrier was a big obstacle. We thought that this time, it would be great to have someone with us during the day....who could speak both Japanese and English fluently, who knew their way around the city well, and would translate both the language and culture around us. We don't want a professional tour guide, both for cost reasons and because we like to be spontaneous. Maybe a college student would be the perfect thing. Any ideas on this? Has anyone ever done this, and how, and did it work out? Any ideas where to find someone?
Thanks so much in advance!!!
May 31st, 2004, 01:02 PM

The Japan National Tourist Organization has a list of professional and voluneer guides. Information is on this Web page: http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/GJ/travelS...html#guidesPro

If you are willing to settle for non-fluent English, you can also contact the English departments of Tokyo colleges. There may be students willing to show you around just for the chance to practice speaking English.

Search this Thread