Tips of using a tailor in HK

May 3rd, 2004, 11:26 PM
Original Poster

Tips of using a tailor in HK

Hello - I will be arriving shortly in HK and wanted to gather a few tips for using a tailor. When I go to one (per a recommendation), will i need to have a design prepared, or can i just describe what I am hoping to have made. Or, do they have patterns to choose from? Also, are the fabric choices in the tailor's shop or do I have to purchase the fabric beforehand?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
May 4th, 2004, 12:30 AM

In Hong Kong, it is usual to buy the material from the Tailor; most of them have a good range available.

If you have a photograph of what you want take it with you, but most of the Tailors I have used have dozens of trade magazines that ask to choose from. You can ask for any changes you want, number of buttons, number of pockets etc.

Do get as many fittings as you can, two is the absolute minimum.
May 4th, 2004, 04:20 AM

You don't say if you're a man or woman or the type of garment you're looking to have made.

For traditional men's clothing -- suits, sport coats, slacks -- you do not need any design, unless you're looking for something very unusual. In addition to basic style, you should be prepared to answer a lot of questions about the details: cuffs or no cuffs, width of belt loops, pleats or no pleats, number of back pockets, number of buttons on jacket sleeve, etc. If the tailor doesn't ask about these, you might want to look for another tailor.

Although you can bring your own fabric, all tailors will offer a selection. In general, the top tailors offer the biggest selection. Be sure to have the tailor drape the fabric over your shoulder so that you can get a sense of how each fabric and weight looks and feels.

When you go to the tailor, wear (or at least bring with you) the type of shoes that you'll wear with the finished garment. Finally, if you're male, find out (before you go) what the tailor means when he asks if you dress right or left.
May 4th, 2004, 05:31 AM

These are good guidelines above. I have just returned from Hong Kong and took an unusual silk blouse along that I love to have duplicated. Having something duplicated is exceptionally easy, as long as the tailor can get the kind of fabric you need. I used Maxwell's at 38-40 Hangkow Road in Kowloon and they did a great job. Note that tailors in Hong Kong are not inexpensive (like Bangkok, for instance).
May 4th, 2004, 06:22 AM

Kathie is absolutely right Hong Kong stopped being a cheap place for tailoring many years ago. I lived there from 1971 to 1993, but from 1983, when I started to visit Bangkok regularly, I had all of my clothes tailored there.
May 4th, 2004, 02:13 PM

I agree with all of the above. The days of cheap tailoring are long gone in Hong Kong (although still cheaper than at home). Bangkok is certailnly the place to have good, long lasting clothes made.The comments about fittings above is valid..you will need to have time to have several.