Recommendation of Tailor in Hong Kong

Old Apr 18th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommendation of Tailor in Hong Kong

Arriving in Hong Kong on April 25 going to Beijing April 28 and returning to Hong Kong on May 2 for 2 full days. Does anyone have a recommendation of a tailor in Hong Kong for mens suits, etc? I have sufficient time for 2 or 3 fittings in Hong Kong. In Beijing I have a busy schedule and would have to have clothing made in 24 to 48 hours which may not be a good idea. Staying at the Park Plaza Wangfujing in Beijing if you think it would be better to have made in Beijing under a tighter time schedule.
Old Apr 18th, 2008, 10:20 AM

You'll get much better tailoring in Hong Kong, and you'll have time for enough fittings there. I like Maxwell's - it's on the Kowloon side, near the Star Ferry. I have the card somewhere - the address has also been posted here before.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 09:33 PM

24-48hrs in Beijing for ordering suits won 't be a wise idea, esp for the first time.

The tailor I use in HK is Mode Elegante (previously at Penninsula mezzanine, now operating from a different building in Kowloon) for suits. For shirts, I'd recommend David's Shirts on Kimberly Rd on Kowloon. (Not cheap, but excellent fabric). Both places have websites.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 10:20 PM

Two tailors I can recommend in Hong Kong are:

Maxwell's Clothiers Ltd.
7A Han Hing Mansion
38-40 Hankow Road
Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon
e-mail: [email protected]
tel 852-2366-6705
fax: 852-2366-6658

This is a long-established tailor in Hong Kong. I have used them in the past, and many of my friends use them as well. They are in Kowloon, sort of behind the Peninsula Hotel. Maxwell's is located in the Nathan Road area of Kowloon, where you will find a ton of tailors. There is a map on their website showing their location. You have to buy fabric from them, but they have an astonishing selection. They will keep your measurements and you can order from them on-line in the future. I would make an appointment with them.

William Cheng & Son
8/F, 38 Hankow Road
Kowloon, Hong Kong
Tel: 852 2739 7888

This is a tailor which I have not used, but a friend of mine has used a few times as he felt Maxwell’s was getting too expensive. I have seen the suits he made, and think they are very good. These tailors about at least a third cheaper than Maxwell’s. They are also in the TST area near the Peninsula.

Tips on using tailors:

Do some comparison shopping for ready-made clothes before you leave home so you know whether what you are being offered is a bargain. All things considered, I don't know how cheap Hong Kong tailors really are anymore. I think for men's shirts and maybe very simple women's shirts and skirts they are probably a good deal. Otherwise, you are going to pay about the same as off-the-rack at home. However, to me the advantage of a tailor is be able to choose the fabric and the design, using a very good quality fabric or a luxury fabric like cashmere and getting a custom fit.

It is advisable to make an appointment, esp with better tailors. You won't be rushed or pushed aside for other people coming in. In my experience, they all speak English; it would be most unusual to find a tailor catering to Western tourists who does not. The level of English in Hong Kong is generally excellent.

You can bring a piece of clothing you like to have it copied. They will not take the item apart to copy it. They may not even keep it, and may only take a brief look at it and take some measurements.

Tailors can copy from a picture; however they need front, back and side views; esp if it is a dress with a low back or similar feature. If you don't have pictures from all sides, be prepared to describe features that are not included in a photograph. If the picture is of a dress by a well-known designer, then just a frontal photo should be OK, they should be familiar with it (or have copied it for someone else.) You can choose to use a different fabric if you like, but do consider their recommendations as to how different fabrics will hang and wear, etc.

Some tailors require that you purchase fabric from them, others have a selection but will also work with fabrics that you bring in, but will charge you a bit more for labour than if you used their fabric. Maxwell's only allows you to use their fabric to the best of my knowledge, the others below will all either use their fabric or you can bring in your own. I have listed some suggestions on where to buy fabric in Hong Kong.

Some tailors will have a posted price list, but you can bargain, esp if you are ordering a large number of pieces. Custom work and copying from pictures or your existing clothing will cost you more than using one of their designs.

I assume you are aware of the fact that May 1-4 is a major holiday weekend in the PRC. This is the first year when the entire country will not have the week of May 1 off, just a long weekend. Traditionally, tourist sites like the Forbidden City are very, very crowded during this holiday period as it is not a religious one and no one has family obligations ilke they do at other times (e.g. New Year). You might want to plan accordingly. The plus side is that there may be fireworks (there usually are in HOng Kong on May 1, but you will miss those. Hong Kongers do not have the long weekend off, must May 1. It's Labour Day, as in organized labour.)
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 06:33 PM

While this may be a bit late for hsmolin, I recently returned from Hong Kong and bought two suits from Creative Tailors over in the Standard Chartered Bank Building in Central on the Ground Floor.

Now, the suits WEREN"T cheap, ($4800 for the first and 1/2 price for the 2nd), I was pleasantly surprised by the quality, multiple fittings, and overall fit/comfort of the suit.

Highly recommended.
Old Mar 8th, 2009, 07:33 PM

$4800 HK dollars, US dollars, Australian dollars?
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 06:53 AM

Ooops...Ok, they weren't that expensive

$4800 and $2400 Hong Kong Dollars for the first and second suits!

George
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 01:29 PM

We were referred to LUKE SAMTANI at Ash Samtani on Nathan Road. We had 2 suits and several shirts made. Fantastic fit and quality adn service:
Email: [email protected]
[email protected]
Tel: (852) 2367 4285
Fax: (852) 2367 7598
ASH SAMTANI CLOTHING LTD.
92-94 NATHAN ROAD, GROUND FLOOR SHOP I
TST, BURLINGTON ARCADE, KOWLOON
Old May 10th, 2009, 06:24 PM

If you are looking to have some shirts made then I can recommend: www.smartshirt.asia
This is an online tailor made shirt website (based in HK, workshop in HK, Chines Tailor). Very good experience and they are fast. 2 weeks!
No need to actually go to the tailor. ;-) No suits however.
Old May 13th, 2009, 06:41 PM

Custom Tailor shops is a sunset business in Hongkong. Its booming years were in the 70s during the Vietnam War.
There are Indian tailors and Shanghai Tailor in Hongkong.
Shanghai tailors are more expensive but the quality and workmanship are the best. Most Hongkong tailors offer two fittings within 48 hours.
Baron Kay's Tailor, 43, Mody Road, 1st Floor, Kowloon, Hong Kong is the tailor I would recommend in Hongkong.
This is the website.
http://baronkaytailor.com/contactus.php

Mr. George Kay RIP
Old May 14th, 2009, 12:55 PM

My husband has used Ying Tai in the Peninsula Hotel, Hong Kong for many years. Not cheap, but excellent materials and fit. Plus, they come to US and he has had them do alterations and repairs.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 06:34 PM

You can check out my blog on my experiences with bespoke suiting from William Cheng & Son. I have included quite a lot of information with pictures: http://bkarmstrong.blogspot.com/2010...hong-kong.html