Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

three young american girls heading to Thailand next summer...please help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi There!

So I am finally going to Thailand. You have no idea how excited I am! Anyhow, I thought turning to the fodors forum would be a big help since I found it very helpful on all my trips to Europe.

We are three american girls aged from 26-30 who are trying to plan a trip to Thailand in either May or July of 2010. We have looked at some guided tours but feel like we can navigate our way around ourselves pretty easy to see what we want and do it a lot cheaper. Am I right in this assumption? Opions on tours or self guided?

I will give you some specifics on a few things we want to see and do.
1. We want to start and end out journey in Bangkok. (suggestions on how many days we should stay there? What is not to miss?)

2. Would love to head to Chang Mai. (know any tours that leave from Thailand to guide us on that part? How many days is suffiecent?

3. Really want to go to an elephant reservation and ride an elephant. Any suggestion on where?

4. Would love to head south and go to one of the beaches in thailand. I've always heard that Phuket is beautiful but am told its harder and more expensive to get to. Heard ko samui area is nice. Any suggestions on beaches?

5. Lastly would love to get to Angor Wat but don't know if its feasible. Suggestions?

We are hoping to stay in Thailand around 14 days. If anyone has gone and done some of the similar things we want and has an itinerary that worked for them please post it. We are so lost on planning an intinerary or ever where to begin! We are thinking Bangkok is a good base if we are going to do this on our own and not a tour but are open to doing day tours with travel companies so any suggestions on those would be great or even tour companies that planned the whole trip for you. I've already looked into contiki, sta, and smartours but am sure there are tons other out there.

Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 11:22 AM

Bangkok is a good base. You will fly in and out of Bangkok. With 14 days, you should only go to three locations, including Bangkok. That means two of Chiang Mai, beach and Angkor Wat.

There are several considerations when deciding amongst the three choices. One is that the flights to and from Siem Riep can be a little expensive. You don't really have enough time to travel overland. But if you are going to Angkor Wat, you should contact Lori at thePLF.org. She is a Fodorite who established a foundation to help the Cambodian children obtain education. Many Fodorites have visited the schools and helped out when in Siem Riep.

Another consideration is the beach choice. In May and June, Phuket and the Andaman Sea are in the rainy season. Ko Samui and Hua Hin have the better weather. Check out Weatherbase.com. HH is a 2 1/2 car ride from BKK. It is not as splendiferous as KS, but the cost is lower.

In Chiang Mai, the Elephant Conservation Center has several programs that might interest you. Do a search on this forum for many Fodorites that have enjoyed their time there.

You do not need tours in Thailand at all. Guides can be helpful, but are not necessary. The tourist infrastructure is strong and you can do evereything on your own.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 12:45 PM

Do you think you'll have 14 days on the ground or 14 days door-to-door? Assuming you are from North America? - then you will use 3 days total getting to/from Thailand.

How much time you spend in Bangkok depends on what you like to do - 3 days minimum to get a feel for it but preferably 4 or 5. There are great sites, side trips, activities, restaurants, bars, hotels and shopping - give us an idea of your budget and your preferences so we can steer you in the right direction...

As Gpanda said, Chiang Mai is the place to do the elephant thing. That said many, including me feel that Chiang Mai is overrated.

Koh Samui would be the better destination weatherwise for the time you are thinking of going. HH = Hua Hin and is more of a family place and probably would not appeal to three women in their 20's.

If you never intend to visit SE Asia again, then by all means visit Angkor Wat. You need just 3 days there unless you and your friends have an extreme interest in Temples. Take the first morning flight out of Bangkok to use your time most efficiently. If you are philanthropically oriented, do contact Lori as she and others are doing great things at the schools in that area. We had a very memorable time there handing out supplies to young school children one morning during our stay.

On my first trip to Thailand, we did 4 places in 12 days - it was a bit much. If you have 14 FULL days, you might be able to do it, but it really depends on your likes and dislikes. SE Asia insists on being savored at a slower pace than say, Europe.

I think having a driver or a guide for a day or two in Bangkok would be helpful, especially for side trips. You can get almost anywhere else in Bangkok via the skytrain or taxis which are cheap. In Siem Reap (Angkor Wat) most people opt for a guide and driver.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 01:47 PM

At your age and timing of your trip, Ko Samui would be the way to go. I prefer the quieter beaches these days but if I was you, Lamai or the Southern end of Chaweng would be my choice.

Kachanaburi is another location that I love. The town is less developed but still has plenty to offer and the night market there is one of my favorites in Thailand. I have ridden Elephants all over Thailand, but the experience that we had with them near K'buri was by far the best. Riding them into the beutiful river Kwai and bathing them is absolutely magic. I really prefer this area to Chang Mai.
Old Oct 9th, 2009, 02:58 PM

Try to go to Koh Phi Phi while you are in the south. It is absolutely gorgeous especially when you're headed to the shore on the longtail boat, upon arrival.
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 05:13 AM

anyone want to join me backpacker to thailand-KL on 19-24 april 2010?? coz i'm alone >.< plz contact me [email protected]
how's the weather on april?
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 05:16 AM

Weather in April = hot in the morning, hot at mid day, hot in the afternoon and hot at night.
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 05:22 AM

yesss... i'd like it ^_^ so it's save to going outside. hehehehe...
can i take bangkok & phuket for 3 or 4 day??
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Thansk so much for the suggestions for far. I went a travel agency today and think that its more economical to do it on our own. But a question about going from Bangkok to Angor Wat. Does anyone know if there are tours that you can book say at your hotel or in the city that leave from bangkok to tour angor wat?
Are there any other ways besides flying to get there?
How do you get a visa and how much is it?
Are there accomadation around there, hostels etc? and how much do they range a night?
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 08:56 AM

If you go to Cambobia think about visas - what sort of visa - if any will you be getting for Thailand?
you'll get30 days visa exempt on arrival by plane.

If you go to Ankhor Wat (Siem Reap) and return by land you'll only get another 15 days.

tourist visas allow you 60 days each but expire on leaving the country - they can be "stacked" though.
"
I found it VERY useful to stock up with "one dollar" bills before going to Cambodia as the dollar is extensively used in tourist areas - but if you give a large denomination bill, you'll get and inordinate collection of Riel whichare pretty much imppssible to exchange outside Cambodia. it's hard to get these bills in Thailand so bring some from US.

For general tips on Thailand try this link......

http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...g-thailand.cfm
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 10:29 AM

KW's concern about your Thai visas is unwarranted, as you only have two weeks to travel.

You can get to Siem Reap via ground. But the trip there via any of the "travel agencies" will subject you to many rips offs. If you want to go overland, read all about it at www.talesofasia.com This is the best resource for overland travel. This site will answer your questions about visas, transport and even hostels.

One suggestion: you title your post as "young american girls" heading to Thailand. I'd suggest that you are not "young girls" but young women. While this may seem petty to point out, thinking of yourselves as young girls sets you up to be naive victims of scams. While some might argue that casting yourselves as "young girls" might get you assistance, I'd suggest that you recognize the personal power and responsibility you have as women (adults) and learn to take care of yourselves.
Old Oct 18th, 2009, 10:32 AM

Lol. Maybe she thinks we're all old travel geezers.