Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Not many days.. where on first Thailand trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After 3 nights in Tokyo we have 10 nights in Thailand (have to spend the last night in Bangkok to fly out on an early flight). I'd thought of 4 nights in Bangkok and 5 on Phuket or Koh Samui but I'm open to other suggestions- Chiang Mai, Angkor Wat? HELP!!!!! We'll be staying at the Four Seasons for whatever time (at least 4 nights?) in Bangkok.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

ttt.. and where did the one response go that Fodor's shows I had??
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 11:47 AM

Oh, sometimes this message board acts oddly. It may reappear later.

Where to go? It depends on your interests. If you've always wanted to visit the temples at Angkor, then definitely go to Siem Reap. Want a beach? There are many lovely beaches. Which one to visit depends on exactly when you are going. Want to go north? I'd recommend the Golden Triangle area. What to go back in time? I'd recommend Luang Prabang, Laos.

Your plan of just two places - Bangkok plus another place is perfect for your time frame.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 02:50 PM
dlh

Lucky you! As Kathie noted your plans in Thailand probably depend more on what you prefer to do on your holiday -beach, trecking, cultural etc. For a beach vacation I would recommend Phuket over Koh Samui (Koh Samui is a bit more backpacker oriented and laid back -nothing wrong with that but your choice of hotel in Bangkok might indicate that you are looking for a more luxurious holiday - and the beaches on both Phuket and Koh Samui are similar - also check which side of Thailand the monsoon is on at this time of year, sorry I can't remember, as it may effect the rainfall and water clarity) with a stay at either the Amanpuri (if it is in your budget) or the Chedi next door for a more reasonable stay (be sure to book a beach villa if it is available). If you prefer northern Thailand then I would highly recommend the Regent/Four Seasons in Chiang Mai (you can catch a quick flight to Luang Prabang in Laos from Chiang Mai on Bangkok Air for a two day stop if you think that Laos sounds interesting)also, be sure to visit the spa if you choose to stay at the Regent. Having said that, I must also say that Cambodia/Siem Reap is one of my family's favorite holidays! It is unquestionably one of those "can't miss" destinations (much prefer it to Luang Prabang - but that's a personal opinion). We usually stay at the Raffles/Grand Hotel d'Angkor but the Amansari is gorgeous and includes the services of a guide with your stay. You definitely want a guide to take you through the Angkor complex. Since you are asking for opinions, unless you are only interested in an Asian beach vacation I would choose to go to Siem Reap or Chiang Mai over Phuket although you could easily do both a beach and a cultural stop in addition to Bangkok in your time frame. Bangkok is a terrific city and you will have a great time! Three nights in Bangkok at the beginning of your stay with the fourth as a transit night before your flight home should be more than adequate. While everyone has their list of favorite things to do in Bangkok I would say: Don't miss the Jim Thompson House, the Grand Palace, the Weekend Market, or lunch/dinner by the river at the Oriental Hotel (they have a wonderful western buffet for breakfast and dinner and on the other side of the river (you will take the Oriental Hotel ferry boat over) their Thai restaurant is fabulous - you can book dinner with a cultural show but I think it is more fun to sit by the river and watch the boats and people go by). Also, a quick day trip to Sukhothai is worth the time if you can squeeze it into your schedule. Whatever you choose to do you will have fun - I'm so jealous!! Have a great time!!!
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 08:10 PM

Three night in Siem reap IMO is enough for you to get a good flavour of the temples so you could also add another place depending on how adventurous you are feeling. Otherwise you could think of increasing your 4 nights in Bkk to 6 and doing a day trip to Ayyuthya. Another option if you really want to do a beachy resort is Hua Hin - you could combine Bkk, Hua Hin and Siem reap. The advantage of Hua Hin over the beaches you mention is it is a comfy 2.5-3 hour drive from Bkk so easy to plan out. The drive time door to door will prob equal your door to door time to PHuket or Koh Samui and this gives you more flexibility.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 12:03 PM

I'd put more time in Bangkok...at least five full days. I've been there several times. I just got back less than two weeks ago. You'll love the Four Seasons...that's my home-away-from home hotel although I've stayed at many other hotels.It's beautiful and the staff is the best...friendly...cheerful...and not formal or stiff. It's VERY centrally located to the shopping areas and lots of restaurants and street life,too. Get a copy of Nancy Chandler's map of Bangkok. Nancychandler.org or net...I can't remember which.Plus the sky train is across the street from the hotel and only one stop to the main station...Siam...where you change trains and can go straight out to the weekend market...get off at Mo Chit station and the weekened market is right there...a block or so walk to the entrance. When visiting the river area you can take the sky train to the last stop or just take a taxi, from the Four Seasons, over to the Royal Orchid Sheraton and the River City Shopping Mall is connected by a bridge to the hotel. I usually eat at the Sheraton and then shop at the mall...then jump on a boat...at the pier next to the Sheraton and go up to the Grand Palace and do that area. You'll have a ball! I'm hardly over my jetlag and I'm already planning...in my mind...my return to Bangkok for 1005.Oh, Chiang Mai is great...3 days should be enough...I was there in 1998.Happy Travels!