Help! Last minute plans to Thailand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please Help! I was able to get last minute tickets to Thailand arriving Bangkok late Dec.24th and leaving early morning Jan.1 (to Tokyo where I flights out on Jan 3 to NY)
I would like to know:
1. How many days should I plan in Bangkok 2 or 4
2. We were thinking of going to Ankgor Wat for 2-3 days......or Chang Mai.....or south to Phuket......What seems the most reasonable in the amount of time.
3. We then need to get back to Bangkok for New Years because our flight leaves so early the next morning. Any suggestions for New Years in Bangkok?
4. Any suggestions for the couple of days in Tokyo?
So many questions.....I am getting very confused. Please help in any way you can.
Thank you thank you thank you!
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 10:18 PM

By my reckoning, you will have 7 days. Phuket is very nice, but it is just a beach and not very Thai. Most activities are just for tourists. Either Chiang Mai or Angkor Wat would be fun for a few days. Do you want to see ruins (AW) or do outdoor stuff (CM). Pick one, you can't go wrong. If you go to CM, use Sergeant Kai at ChiangMaiTours.com. We just did and had a great time.
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your quick reply. How many days would you spend in Bangkok and how many days in CM or Angkor Wat? I have gotton a response from Sai of Gothailand tours. What is anybody's opinion on them?As always, Thank you thank you!
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 07:18 AM

If you're interested in Angkor, go now before there is more development in the area. You should allow three full days to see all the major temples. That would give you four days for Bangkok - a nice amount of time to get a glimpse of what Bangkok has to offer.

If you decide not to go to Angkor, I'd recommend the Golden Triangle area over Chaing Mai. You fly into Chaing Rai and it's an hour's drive north out of Chaing Rai. Search for the Anantara on this board, and you'll find rave reviews of this lovely hotel in the Golden Triangle.
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Is it necessary to have a guide like sai from gothaitours or can you do these things on your own? I am not concerned with saving money as much as I donot want to be part of a tour group. It might be nice for a short amount of time. Any comments?
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 02:53 PM

It certainly is not necessary to have a guide. Some people like to hire a car and driver in bangkok, though I never do. Most people hire a car and driver for the day in Chaing Mai, as there are places you'll want to visit that are out of town. By hiring a car and driver, you will be on your own, not in a group. Thailand is very easy travel, there is no reason to go with a tour group.
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 05:33 PM

In BKK, you do not need a guide. In fact, by not having one you will be able to go at your own pace and spend as much time as you want if you're taken with something. The thing you do lose is a recitation of the history and culture that a guide will provide. We've done it both ways and enjoyed both. Whichever you choose, don't do it in a group. I think you lose something in a clump of tourists.

Where do you envision staying in BKK. Many on this site, including me, think staying on the river is the only way to go. Depending on how much you want to spend there are several very nice options.

BTW, if I'm correct that you have 7 days, I suggest you spend 4 in BKK and 3 in the other location. We love BKK and almost always wish we had spent more time there.

Old Dec 4th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

I think 4 nights in Bangkok at either the Sukothai or Four Seasons and 3 nites in Angkor Wat (if I can get flights) and then back to Bangkok for New Years Eve because of an early flight out to Tokyo on Jan.1
Any suggestions for New Years? Any comments on hotels etc?
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 07:57 PM

Personally, I'd recommend a hotel on the river rather than the Sukothai or the Four Seasons. Being on the river gives a different feel to Bangkok, and the availablity of the river taxis is great. You'll find the air cleaner by the river and the traffic not as big a problem. Also, on New Year's eve you'll be able to see the fireworks from your room (breaking at eye level if you're on a high floor). Lok at the Pen, the Ooriental, the Shangri-La and the Royal Orchid Sheraton as possibilities. The Marriot Resort and Spa is a bit farther away, but you may want to consider it as well (it is the favorite of Bob, a regular on this board).
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 10:15 AM

I agree with Kathie. Staying on the river is always nice and easy. Watching the river traffic from your hotel room is a wonder in itself. Take a look at the hotels mentioned. You really can't go wrong with any of these. We always stay at the Royal Orchids Sheraton, but we use Starwood points and do so for free.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 02:09 PM

Centeno, I have a fabulous travel agent that has gotten rates for me at The Peninsula, Four Seasons, etc. in Bangkok for under $200 a night including taxes and breakfast. He can also help with private transfers, etc...as much or as little as you need. If you need his details, let me know! Nancy ([email protected])
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 02:50 PM

Agree with Kathie on Anantara Resort in the Golden Triangle area. Relaxing by their gorgeous pool is as good as the best beach you've ever been to.

Angkor was the highlight of our trip. Do at least 3 nights and 2 full days if you go. If you really want to spluge stay at Amansara. The rates include meals and 2 tours (1 morning, 1 afternoon) to Angkor per day.

In Bangkok even though a guide isn't necessary, it's nice to have one if you have limited time and don't want to spend time (or get stressed) figuring out how to get around on your own. We used a fabulous guide that I found via this message board. Her name is Tan and she speaks excellent English. She is freelance, and will customize your day however you wish. She can hire a car/driver to help with transport, or if you prefer (as we did) you can use public transport such as taxis or the river ferries to get around. We thought her rates were extremely reasonable and our 2 days with her were completely stress free. If you'd like her contact info please email me at [email protected]