Reload this Page >

The Great Wall - Juyongguan Pass

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2002, 07:33 AM
Terry

Has anyone been to Juyongguan Pass? Is it more scenic and less crowded than Badaling? If I leave Beijing downtown early in the morning, say 7am, can I do it in half a day (be back to downtown by 3pm)?

Old May 21st, 2002, 10:35 PM
Peter N-H

Juyong Guan is brand new old. A few years ago there was merely the strewn rubble of the base, and now in China's most expensive reconstruction project, it's been built from the ground up. But then the other open sites are the same--they've just been rebuilt a little longer. However, Juyong Guan is still little visited, has one very ancient carved stone gate next to the rebuilt tower of its main entrance, is a location of historical importance, and the Wall does sweep very impressively down the mountain to either side.<BR><BR>You can catch an aircon express bus, the 919, from the east side of Desheng Men on the second ring road which will get you to Badaling non-stop for Y8. You can then double back for 15 mins on the slower, non-aircon stopping version of the same bus to Juyong Guan, which you'll have passed at high speed on you way up the expressway. Leave at 7am and you can be back by 1pm without much hurry. Take the stopping 919 until you reach the third ring and jump in a cab, or to the second ring and walk west ten minutes to Jishuitan metro station.<BR><BR>Easy, comfortable, quick, and cheap.<BR><BR>Peter N-H<BR>http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html

Old May 22nd, 2002, 02:10 AM
Terry

Thanks a lot, Peter. That's really informative!

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Sooner Kid

How long would it take to get to the pass with a private car? Thanks

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 03:11 PM
Peter N-H

Depends on starting point in Beijing and time of day--its getting across to the north side of the city and out between the third and fourth ring roads which takes a lot of time. Assuming your driver knows where to get off the Badaling Expressway, and uses that road, should be under an hour.<BR><BR>Peter N-H<BR>http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Susie

Which area woud be the easiest for my year old parents to access the wall. Dad is in pretty good shape but Mom has trouble going up hills and does better with flat walking surfaces. How much time does one usually spend at the wall?<BR><BR>

Old Jul 11th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Susie

Which area woud be the easiest for my 70 year old parents to access the wall. Dad is in pretty good shape but Mom has trouble going up hills and does better with flat walking surfaces. How much time does one usually spend at the wall?