Reload this Page >

Chair Lifts at Badaling and Mutianyu

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 06:40 AM
susie

Does anyone know if either of these lifts are open after November 15th? I will be taking my mom and dad to Beijing on November 15th and would like some advice on the best place to take them to the Great Wall. My folks are in their 70's but are somewhat limited on going up and down stairs, especially uneven ones. Any general advice on how much time to budget for the wall and how much walking can be done on the wall would be appreciated. I hope to arrange a car and driver for this little excursion. Thanks for your suggestions.<BR><BR><BR>Susie

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 12:37 PM
TT

TTT

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 01:16 PM
Jessica

It's been a while since I was last there but let me try to help you! I went to Badaling and the stairs, at least to me, were massive. The stairs were very uneven and very large at some places at the wall. It seemed as though everywhere you turned there were stairs! I don't remember any chair lifts at all but again this was a few years ago. I would venture to say that Badaling would be easier than Mutianyu but I could be wrong. It's a great part of the wall though and I really enjoyed it but it was rather steep in places! I hope this helps! Enjoy your trip to China!

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Peter N-H

I believe the lifts at both sites are open year round, but you'd be safest at Badaling. There are steps up to the lifts at both sites, but those at Mutianyu are more difficult of access. The lifts take you to near the base of the stonework, not onto the Wall itself, so there is still some unavoidable climbing to do. Access at most sites tends to be to the lowest point of the wall, and it stretches fairly steeply up to either side, either as steep slopes, or stairs of uneven height, some steep enough to make even the hale and hearty consider using hands as well as feet. The only help for those not so limber is in metal rails bolted to the interior of the Wall at some sections. I'd suggest you prepare your parents for getting on the Wall, taking it slowly, but then just enjoying the way it loops off into the distance. Although Badaling is unfashionable, and the slightly more visited site, even from the lower point where you mount it there are views of it looping madly about every high point through a 180 degree arc.<BR><BR>One other spot to consider might be the relatively newly-opened Juyong Guan. Here the car park is at the base of the wall itself, it's less heaving with souvenir sellers, and it's less visited so there'll be less pressure to mount at speed. While (like all other officially open sections) the Wall has been rebuilt from the ground up, this important pass is the site of one of the earliest periods of Wall building, and there's one very unusual stone edifice at ground level, the Yuntai, which is genuinely very ancient, and covered in elaborate Buddhist carvings. <BR><BR>If you take the Badaling Expressway you'll pass Juyong Guan before you reach Badaling, and it's actually the closest officially open site to Beijing.<BR><BR>Peter N-H<BR>http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 07:23 PM
LEANNA

Just remember you only have to put one foot on the wall to say you've been there! I was in Badaling in april...and we walked up a slight hill, up a few stairs maybe 8 onto a courtyard of shops, then went thru a turnstile and climbed a few more steps. No one said we had to hurry and we didnt. Took our time and within maybe 20 more steps were ON the wall!!! That is the furthest you really have to go! It counts!!! I did venture a bit further but only to the 2nd tower...and that was enuff for me. Been there done that...and it was fabulous!!! <BR>Just offer them a solid arm and take your time...the wall is possible!!! Good luck! <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 07:04 AM
susie

Thank You Jessica, Peter N-H and Leanna for your infornative replies. I really appreciate your insights.<BR><BR>Susie