Great Wall: Badaling or Mutianyu ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems that the Great Wall of China at Badaling is where the tourists throng to, although I have seen many postings here praising the Mutianyu section. Could someone please enlighten me on the pros and cons of visiting Badaling vs Mutianyu.

Also, which would be more convenient, if one wanted to combine the trip with a visit to the Ming Tombs ? Among the various Ming Tombs, which one is recommended to see ?
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 08:49 PM

The two are both good. It depends on your taste. Badaling is more convenient, if you want to visit Ming Tombs. The are totally 13 imperial tombs in Ming Tombs and not all of them are opened to the toursits. Only Chang Tomb, Ding Tomb, and Zhao Tomb are opened to the toursits. Chang Tomb is the tomb of Zhu Di, the third emperor of Ming Dynasty. The tomb has not been excavated. Ding Tomb has been excavated and you can go down to the underground grave.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 04:36 PM

I heard that Badaling is very touristy and can get crowded. I ended up going to Simitai, which was 3 hours drive away from central Beijing, and that was a tad busy...
but I loved it, the views, the drive etc. so if you hate crowds I would suggest staying away from Badaling.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

I know Badaling has more crowds. But what about the sights and "experience" of the Great Wall - which is better, Badaling or Mutianyu ?

And what is the Sacred Way ? Where is it ? Worth visiting ?
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 08:51 PM

Surely any standard guide book will tell you more.

But both Badaling and Mutianyu are thronged with tourists, with Badaling a little more so. If your plan is to travel by taxi then drivers currently prefer Mutianyu due to lower road charges and parking charges, and you should get a lower rate.

Mutianyu is greener, but the section officially open is shorter than at Badaling. Both have their chairlifts, and Mutianyu also has a kind of wheeled sled you can shoot back down to the car park on. Hardly dignified treatment for a national monument of this stature.

Bush went to Badaling, so did QE II. This is where Nixon said it was a Great Wall and had his words considerably expanded to heap praise on the Chinese when they were reported in the local media. It was good enough for all of them, and such is its meandering course here that it's possible to stand on top and turn through 180 degrees with it permanently in view.

But the section that's open nearest to Beijing is one that has lower tourism volumes than either, which is Juyong Guan, easily reached by aircon buses leaving every few minutes.

Most find the Ming Tombs a little unexciting, the one excavated tomb chamber open to the public having rather the same atmosphere as a Victorian railway station (whether a British or an Indian one). The two Qing sites, Eastern and Western, have far more to see and are far more atmospheric.

The Spirit Way (to each) is an approach road lined with sentinel figures.

Peter N-H
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 03:33 PM

In 2005 you could overnight at Jinshanglin.

It was a 2.5 to 3 hour drive from Beijing, but no one except our party of four was around.

I thought it was one of the most rewarding travel experiences ever to sleep on the Great Wall. I walked on the wall for hours in the late afternoon and early morning and saw no one.

It probably does not combine well as a stop with other activities, such as Ming Tombs, and required a night. We did stop at the Forbidden City on the way back, to give you an idea of timing.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 03:44 PM

bookmarking
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 01:24 PM

"But both Badaling and Mutianyu are thronged with tourists..."

I visited the wall at Mutianyu and it was not thronged with tourists. I would say there were 30 on the wall. I was able to take photos without anyone in them, or if there were people, it was very few. Maybe I was lucky in going in October. I'm sure at the height of tourist season it's a lot more crowded!

http://www.pileggiphotography.com/ga...13749172_JxUYz

Monica
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 02:28 PM

I agree with Monica. When we were at Mutianyu we arrived when it opened in the morning and had the whole wall nearly to ourselves for quite a while.
If it helps my husband has done both sections and prefers Mutianyu. He said it is not as crowded & slightly more scenic than Badaling.
You would probably only do Badaling if you were visiting the nearby Ming tombs.
Hmmm which tomb's
Ming Tomb's - Closest to Badaling & Chang Ling has great toiletsThere are 3 tombs open to the public but worth going & detouring for would be debatable.
The Eastern & Western Qing Tombs - as others have mentioned they are a bit of a distance away from anything. Both less touristy & the Eastern is the more scenic.
I could probably think of better things to devote my time to in Beijing but that is just a personal opinion.
Old Jan 27th, 2009, 03:39 PM

> When we were at Mutianyu we arrived when it opened in the morning and had the whole wall nearly to ourselves for quite a while.

If you arrive at Badaling very first thing you'll likely find much the same.

But the fact remains that of all the officially open Great Wall sites within reach of Beijing, these two are far and away the most popular. Even Juyong Guan, nearer to Beijing than either, sees fewer visitors.

Peter N-H
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 10:52 PM

I have been to Mutianyu Great Wall last year. It is very convenient to get to Mutianyu Great wall. We take a cable car from the foot of the mountain and then go up to the wall which took several minutes. And then we walk the wall to the end.
Here is a travel guide of Mutianyu Great Wall:
http://www.chinatravel.com/beijing/a...yu-great-wall/
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 04:26 AM

Mikkey: Please stop posting the link to your agency. This is illegal here and you may have to pay a penalty.