Thailand worth it?

Search

Thailand worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2018, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand worth it?

Is a vacation trip to Thailand worth it? If yes, what time of year is best?
Old Feb 8th, 2018, 08:17 PM

Well, I love Thailand, so it is worth it to me. I've been to Thailand maybe 2 dozen times since may first trip in the 1980s. SE Asia is our favorite part of the world, so we often use Bangkok as ur gateway to other places in SE Asia.

Whether it is worth it to you depends on your interests. You may find our photos helpful. they are at www.marlandc.com
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 07:57 AM

I'm confused. "Worth it?" What does that mean exactly?

Worth the cost? No idea what your budget is.

Worth the travel time to get there? No idea where you are.

Worth visiting? Thailand is a country with many very different offerings, from culture to history to shopping to food to beaches to trekking to cityscapes to rural villages. No idea what you enjoy.

Maybe you could be a little more specific as to what you want to know.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 09:25 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't bother with Thailand (or anyplace else) until you feel you MUST go. There are places I know other people love that simply don't interest me. It seems that's akin to how you currently feel about Thailand, a place I love. So don't worry about it and certainly don't take a stranger's word for it being a place you shouldn't miss. Nothing very bad will happen if you don't go, until you can't imagine not going. The question will then have been answered, far better than we could for you.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 11:10 AM

Not once has this person replied to a post. Why waste time on them?
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by crellston
Not once has this person replied to a post. Why waste time on them?
I guess because it takes less time to reply than to research all their posts? And I've always wanted to say "It's not worth it" when someone asks if it's worth it.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 03:34 PM

nolefan86

Without any feedback or direction from you there is not much sense in going into too much detail in an answer.

You could throw a dart at a map on a wall and probably do no worse.

You could even simply do a Google search and see what comes up.

I have lived in Thailand and traveled there frequently off and on for a couple decades. For me, any time of the year is worth a visit, no matter if rain, heat or mild weather.

Up to you. (A term frequently heard in Thai beer bars.)
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

All who have replied with helpful answers, thank you. The rest who have been critical, thank you as well.
I have never experienced any place outside of the Western Hemisphere. I'm making plans, so that one day in the near future I can put my plans into action. I'm just looking for ideas, not judgements.
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 01:55 PM

nolefan - Thank you for coming back and responding to answers to your post. I don't think people are being critical (at least that wasn't my intention) - but your question is so broad and open-ended, there really isn't an answer.

If you give people an idea of what activities you enjoy when traveling, or what your budget is, or any area of interest you have, or any other specific questions you would like the answers to, I think you will find lot of good ideas here.

I just returned from my first trip to Thailand a couple weeks ago. Would be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 03:25 AM

Nolefan.

Purchase a travel guide for Thailand. Or if you are from a country with a free library you can check out a travel guide or two. This is an "old fashioned" type of planning that still works today.

If you haven't got a passport yet get hot and apply now! If you need a visa to visit Thailand or not depends on the passport you use to enter the country and how long you will be there. From many Western countries (England, Germany, Canada, Australia, USA, etc.) you can enter for free for 30 days. However to enter with the free 30 day Visa Exemption stamp you get on arrival at the airport you need a round trip plane ticket or a flight out of the country before 30 days is up. This requirement may be enforced at your departure country. Other countries might require a VOA or other a visa you apply for ahead of time. Depends on the country your passport is issued through. Over 30 days usually requires a tourist visa you apply for ahead of time at home.

What country are you from? How long will you be in Thailand if that is the place you want to visit.?

You will have to work up a budget and decide how much money you will have per day after paying for your flight. Usually round trip to Bangkok is a start. Only you know how much per day you want to spend on a hotel room. You may be a luxury traveler sleeping in expensive hotels and eating at expensive restaurants. Maybe also choosing expensive nightclubs for drinking and whatever. Or someone like me who is a cheapskate and chooses hotels that are mostly basic with A/C, hot water, private bathroom/toilet, TV and hotel maid clean up. A room like this in Thailand (low season) begins around $20 USD or 600 baht. The more money you spend the more toys you have at the hotel such as a pool, fancy lobby, choice of in hotel bars and restaurants, gym, etc. For drinking cheap in Thailand there are places called beer bars and some expat pubs too. Eating doesn't cost that much. Food courts in malls, small cheap private restaurants, some supermarkets have lunch counters too. Street vendor food also available. Supermarkets available for stuff you can bring to your room, lots of Seven Eleven stores for snacks and beer.

Tourists visit every day of the year. The most expensive time of the year for hotel prices (in general some better beach weather too) is late November through early February. (High season.) Highest prices for hotel rooms closest to Christmas and New Years holidays. From some countries this is also when plane tickets are higher priced. Also hotel bookings tighten up during this Christmas - New Years period. Nightlife available all year long. Shopping available all year long. Even during the rainy season there are beach areas with sufficient sunshine to give you a tan.

Some tourists go for history and culture, some for the beaches, some (both men and women) go to rent companionship and party. Or a combination of these choices. All of Thailand has warm weather not just a beach. I like the rainy season when plant life looks like it is alive and hotels are cheaper. Some tourists from distant countries first fly to Bangkok. After a day or two fly or travel to a beach location good for the month you visit. Then fly nearer the to the top of Thailand for a look at this part of the country. (Chiang Mai is popular up north.) Before your flight home, return to Bangkok a day sooner to shop, eat and look around the city. Easy to get back to the airport from city hotels.

From Bangkok, Chiang Mai and major beach locations you can often sign on to a shared tour in person. Your hotel might have a tour desk or you go to the nearest travel agency that advertises tours. You choose a tour and next day a van picks you up from your hotel front door or pick up point.

You can purchase your own fights to Thailand using your computer. Only you know what airports are convenient for your departure. For Thailand most Western currencies get a better return changing that money in Thailand. Do not rely on a single source of spending money. Debit card, cash and a couple credit cards for emergencies that could come up is recommended.

Thailand is an easy break in country for a first visit to Asia. Very tourist friendly. Good long distant bus rides. Long distant train service. Cheap local discount airlines available. Bangkok has 2 international airports. Suvarnabhumi is the primary airport for long distant flights. Bangkok is a big city, close in size to London. Bangkok has some good city transportation by meter taxi, buses and city rail service.

For me, it helps to know if you are male or female. It helps to know if you are a retiree, a kid in school or just out of school or whatever.

Make Google your friend.
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 12:42 AM

My personal opinion is that Thailand is the best country in Asia. The best time for visiting is between 15 November to 1 March because the temperature is fine.
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by mikebangkok
Its worth it ;-) !!! 100%
Yes, it is. 100% for me, but certainly not for 100% of travelers and that's the point being made, obviously. I hated BKK on my first visit but have come to love it. If I'd only gone there on my first trip I'd never have gone back. We can't make the leap that because we like a thing, everyone will.
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 12:18 AM

I'm confused. "Worth it?" What does that mean exactly?
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 09:56 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Of course it's "worth it"! Worth what? Long flight? Cost of flights? Inexpensive place to visit. I was looking at my photo album from Thailand last night and it was such an incredible and beautiful trip.
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 12:03 AM

I'd advise that you travel to Thailand in the cool and dry season -- November to April. After living in Bangkok for 18 years, my favorite month is December as it's not so crazy hot!

As to whether Thailand is 'worth it' for a visit, I'd say absolutely!!! If you give more details on what you're looking for, I/we can try and give you advice on where to find it...

;-)
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 02:31 PM

Hey, BangkokUnmasked, April is the absolute hottest month of the year in most of Thailand. If people are looking for cooler (really, just less hot) and drier months, November through February are best.
Old Feb 24th, 2018, 08:50 PM

Certainly thailand is worth it, I just did not enjoy trying some more exotic dishes that I found in the restaurants there, but it is certainly a culture that we need to know, very rich in every detail and with incredible places and places visited, with people from all over the world.: tu:
Old Feb 25th, 2018, 03:57 PM

Agreed Kathie. I think it's best [if possible] to avoid monsoon season i.e. May to October. [Especially if you want a beach holiday].

Early April can be ok in terms of temperatures, mid-April is usually scorching hot - hence the Songkran holiday. [It is dry though...]