Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

General observations about Thailand- your thoughts?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:37 AM
Warren

Here are some general observations about Thailand I have developed after a recent two week visit: I am interested in other visiters thoughts- do you agree or disagree?<BR><BR>Thailand has a strong youth culture. Never see people over 30 working in the shops or any elderly people on the streets<BR><BR>Land of smiles? People generally pleasant but not overly friendly. Language part of the issue. No displays of emotion, touching or warmth between people. Little visiting noticed between Thais.<BR><BR>Shops are overstaffed in retail like most Asian countries. Most stores have many young women standing around waiting for customers. How can businesses afford such a huge staff standing around with little to do all day?<BR><BR>Thailand has a Shop house economy. Most business small and with few items. 99 percent of retail businesses are housed in cheap concrete buildings with tin roofs and no doors.<BR><BR>Television, radio and mass media weak in comparison to the US. No sign of American shows on Thai TV, unlike most of the world where American produced shows are dubbed in the local language.<BR><BR>There seems to be few recreational opportunities for the Thai people. Limited parks, recreation fields, movie theatres and golf courses. Shopping centers not popular with the locals, onlty the tourists.<BR><BR>Thai people seem uninterested in environmental issues. Lots of air pollution, litter everywhere, no landscaping, field burning not regulated, untreated water in canals and rivers.<BR>Limited mass transit.<BR><BR>Outside of Bangkok, cities have few substantial buildings. Mostly tin roofs and concrete block construction.<BR><BR>Thai people generally lack emotion, at least in public. Hard to believe the Greek people and Thai people share the same planet! Thai's display little enthusiasm. No raised voices, anger or passion observed by any Thai.<BR><BR>The Thai people are slightly built. No one is athletic looking, tall or overweight.<BR><BR>Thai cities are not good for walking. Sidewalks are narrow and filled with food carts, sleeping dogs and potholes. Streets are difficult to cross because there are no walk signs.<BR><BR>No boundary line between residential and commercial areas. Shop houses and office buildings are put next to run down single family homes.<BR><BR>Service levels in Bangkok hotels very high. Outside of Bangkok just average. More smiles in Bangkok, believe it or not.<BR><BR>Touts and hawkers not bad compared to other places in asia. Tuk Tuk drivers will ask you but they do not follow you.<BR><BR>Walking around Bangkok is exhausting. Lots of pollution, exhaust smells, loud scooters and no crosswalks or stop signs.<BR><BR>Most tourists to Thailand are from Europe or Japan. Few Americans to be seen and NO blacks or Hispanics.<BR><BR>Very few Thais dress fashionably. No trendy hair styles or clothes. Simple clothes and no shorts.<BR><BR>Massage parlors everywhere. Price is low.<BR><BR>Too many businesses of the same type help keep prices low. Too many Internet cafes.<BR><BR>Thailand culture and business orientation towards the "shop house model, will limit economic growth in the country.<BR><BR>

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:19 PM
Nan

Very interesting observations and more honest than the typical Thailand is perfect gargage that comes out of this board.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:53 AM
Andrea

There is certainly no perfect place on the globe. <BR><BR>Further, it would be a very boring world and there would not be a need to travel if all countries are built like US and all the people observe the culture and beliefs of Americans!<BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:25 PM
Confucius

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to post "general observations" and remove all doubt.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 04:48 AM
Tom

I agree with your comments about the Thai people haveing no passion, nice but cold also.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 09:28 AM
JR

No wonder the Arab call American "Satans"!<BR><BR>No Yanky TV show? Try the cable network - it's full of em. Thai shows are more than better than the average American junks like General Hospital, Ally Mc...!

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 11:29 AM
sagwa

Warren<BR>And your point is?

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 11:46 AM
jenomad

Who invited u into Thailand, anyways???

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 11:58 AM
John G

No American TV shows??? Gee, does that mean when I go to Thailand I will be forced to read James Joyce or Gunther Grass for entertainment instead of watching reruns of "Matlock?" How will I ever cope?<BR><BR>It is hard to be fashionablly dressed when you are poor. I bet, however, there weren't any Thai's running around in Walmart stretch pants with their celulite hanging out like they do in Ohio.<BR><BR>So people weren't pawing each other on the streets and at restaurants like they do in the US? You mean people actually have sex behind closed doors like they are supposed to? Egads!<BR><BR>As for pollution, it was just reported that 1/3 of America's coast lines are so badly polluted that they can't sustain marine life. <BR><BR>There are actually people waiting to take care of customers in Thai shops? You mean you don't have to stand in the middle of the aisle and scream, "EXCUSE ME, DOES ANYBODY WORK HERE?" like you do at a mall in the US?<BR><BR>There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Debra

You other people have obviously not been there. His observations are right on.<BR><BR>If you think it is so great, go see for yourself.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 03:55 PM
sagwa

Debra<BR>fyi--returned from my last trip about two weeks ago.<BR><BR>Wouldn't it be terrible if people from other countries created their "observation" of us--based on two week tourist visits to the United States---say to Walt Disney World in Florida? <BR><BR>

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 04:23 PM
Micky

Holy Sh*t! No American tv shows in Thailand? Oh... no, what will I do while I'm there.<BR><BR>Limited parks, golf courses, shopping malls... you have definately not been to Thailand! <BR><BR>So Warren you idea of a wonderful place to visit will be something like: lots of American TV shows, lots of parks, lots of malls, lots of old people, lots of recreational activity hey I know.. try Disney world!<BR><BR>Warren you're an ediot who has never been to Thailand!

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 07:11 PM
Kathie

And why are any of us (including me!) responding to "Warren" who has placed a number of previous posts like this? We should let this post die a natural death.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 08:17 AM
Mari

Those of you that are complaining about Warrens post really did not read it! He is totally non judgemental and states things as his observations, not as good or bad.<BR><BR>I think his comments are right. Don't you have observations about a place and its people after visiting it for a few weeks? If you do not where your eyes closed?

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 08:22 AM
sagwa

Mari<BR>You need to study his message a little more carefully. If you think his phrases are non-judgemental, you are very vulnerable to advertisement.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Harry

Thailand is overhyped, it is not all that nice!<BR><BR>In fact kinda slummy and poor!

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Sarah Rey

Well I am happy to live in Thailand. Most places are far from perfect, but it is only when I sit near a rabble of Westerners that I remember how happy I am to live here and not in the west.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 06:20 PM
carlos

im hispanic and i love tailand

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 01:21 PM
whatever

Sounds to me like Thailand could be gee...like... a third world country ???????? descriptions sound exactly like Mexico to me

Old Apr 20th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Howitzer

As Harry wrote, "its kinda slummy and poor" WELL, there are many places that could be described that way which are marvelous travel destinations..to name a few...<BR>Rio<BR>Mexico City<BR>most of the isles of the Caribbean<BR>New Orleans<BR>Philadelphia<BR>Cairo<BR> IF you like these places..you will probably love thailand..I DID!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -