Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

General observations about Thailand- your thoughts?

Notices

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 07:38 AM
Warren

Here are some general observations about Thailand I have developed after a recent two week visit: I am interested in other visitors thoughts- do you agree or disagree?

Thailand has a strong youth culture. Never see people over 30 working in the shops or any elderly people on the streets

Land of smiles? People generally pleasant but not overly friendly. Language part of the issue. No displays of emotion, touching or warmth between people. Little visiting noticed between Thais.

Shops are overstaffed in retail like most Asian countries. Most stores have many young women standing around waiting for customers. How can businesses afford such a huge staff standing around with little to do all day?

Thailand has a Shop house economy. Most business small and with few items. 99 percent of retail businesses are housed in cheap concrete buildings with tin roofs and no doors.

Television, radio and mass media weak in comparison to the US. No sign of American shows on Thai TV, unlike most of the world where American produced shows are dubbed in the local language.

There seems to be few recreational opportunities for the Thai people. Limited parks, recreation fields, movie theatres and golf courses. Shopping centers not popular with the locals, onlty the tourists.

Thai people seem uninterested in environmental issues. Lots of air pollution, litter everywhere, no landscaping, field burning not regulated, untreated water in canals and rivers.
Limited mass transit.

Outside of Bangkok, cities have few substantial buildings. Mostly tin roofs and concrete block construction.

Thai people generally lack emotion, at least in public. Hard to believe the Greek people and Thai people share the same planet! Thai's display little enthusiasm. No raised voices, anger or passion observed by any Thai.

The Thai people are slightly built. No one is athletic looking, tall or overweight.

Thai cities are not good for walking. Sidewalks are narrow and filled with food carts, sleeping dogs and potholes. Streets are difficult to cross because there are no walk signs.

No boundary line between residential and commercial areas. Shop houses and office buildings are put next to run down single family homes.

Service levels in Bangkok hotels very high. Outside of Bangkok just average. More smiles in Bangkok, believe it or not.

Touts and hawkers not bad compared to other places in asia. Tuk Tuk drivers will ask you but they do not follow you.

Walking around Bangkok is exhausting. Lots of pollution, exhaust smells, loud scooters and no crosswalks or stop signs.

Most tourists to Thailand are from Europe or Japan. Few Americans to be seen and NO blacks or Hispanics.

Very few Thais dress fashionably. No trendy hair styles or clothes. Simple clothes and no shorts.

Massage parlors everywhere. Price is low.

Too many businesses of the same type help keep prices low. Too many Internet cafes.

Thailand culture and business orientation towards the "shop house model, will limit economic growth in the country.

Old May 11th, 2002, 08:49 PM
jean

I think you should stay home. The Thai people are wonderful. I just took a group of seniors, none had been before. for every one in the group the Thai people were special. You can find things wrong everywhere but my experiences in Thailand are very positive. This was my 5th visit and going back for two months next winter.

Old May 12th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Oh No Not Again!

Here we go again.....! Warren you need a life!

Old May 13th, 2002, 12:48 AM
K

Warren seems like you went to Thailand with a closed mind. One must not make judgements based on a one time -2 week visit to a country like Thailand where the real Thai culture can be seen oustside of the capital. Of course every capital city of any country have somewhat same characteristics you described......... are you sure you went to Thailand????

Old May 13th, 2002, 03:05 AM
xxx

Its Groundhogday!!!!!!!

Old May 13th, 2002, 08:18 PM
AVE

The food is wonderful.The becah is charming.And the nightmarkets are interesting.Just wondering....why so many white men together with thai girls,are they couples ,friends,or....?

Old May 13th, 2002, 08:40 PM
rj

How can anybody compare Thailand with any country? It's not the USA or Europe. Get a life or why travel..

Old May 14th, 2002, 09:12 AM
ohgod!

warren has made these observations a great many times already. I don't know why. the recent visit has now stretched back a good couple of years.

Old May 14th, 2002, 03:43 PM
Roy

I think that ther is a lot of choice ass in Thailand, and I'm getting a turgid cock just thinking about all those little bitches wanting to suck on my nuts. Filthy whores.

Anywho, here are some comments.

If a whore looks like she has a cock, she probably ius one of them transsextuals and they are HOT!

If a very young cock sucker is working on your nuts, ask if her mother can watch. This i really enjoy while eating spagetti.

Old May 14th, 2002, 05:21 PM
Brigadier

That sucks!!!!!

Must say that I visit Thailand once every year (even if it means a stopover)just to feel the crowd and the smell.

As to culture, history, warmth - I prefer India any day.

Brigs

Old May 16th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Craig

To those of you that disagree with Warren's comments please tell us which ones and why. My just saying they are wrong it makes you look stupid.

I travel to Thailand on a regular basis and I think his comments were basically all true.

Old May 16th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Kathie

Craig, if you (or anyone else) is serious about the question, please refer to any of the previous times Warren has posted this message. At the beginning, we responded to his message as if he were serious and wanted input. It has become apparent that he has other motives for posting this tripe, so people have generally stopped responding to his messages, as it only keeps him in the limelight.

Old May 16th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Craig

Warren is only listed once as a poster. Those of you who try to determine if a poster responded to his own post by using a different name need a life!

What in Warren's post is wrong about Thailand?