Thailand Trip: An extra week!!!!

Jan 12th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Thailand Trip: An extra week!!!!

I will be ending my job at my current company right before I leave for my trip to Thailand and I have an extra week or maybe two before starting another career.

Because of this I am going to stay in Thailand by myself for a week or so. My boyfriend has to go back to work.

I am adventuresome, love to raft, hike, explore. Please keep this in mind when responding to this question.

As a 40 yr old female traveling alone for a week do you recommend Luang Prabang, Kanchanaburi or possibly somewhere else in Thailand?

If I like Bangkok during the time I spend there with my boyfriend I may stay there for a couple of extra nights but that still leaves me with 5 nights elsewhere.

We are spending 21 nights together on this trip and visiting:

Bangkok
Ko Phi Phi
Railey in Krabi
Chiang Mai
Siem Reap

I am a bit hesitant to visit Luang Prabang because that will entail back tracking through Chiang Mai.

I am intrigued with the area around Kanchanaburi because of all the parks, rafting, Tiger Temple, etc.

Another option I am considering is the slow boat along the Ping River.

Suggestions and comments are most welcome! Please help me decide because I leave in 3 weeks!

Thanks!

Tamara
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:01 PM

Well, you know I loved Luang Prabang. You can fly there from CM or BKK. With a week, you could fly into Vietienne, spend a couple of days, then do the short flight to LP.

I don't know that there would be enough in the Kanchanaburi area to keep you busy for a week.

Whatever you chose, I'm sure you'll have a great time!
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Hi Kathie,

I do know you love LP! Did you also enjoy Vietienne? That might be a good idea. If I remember correctly I can fly from Bangkok to Vietienne, right?
Jan 12th, 2006, 05:35 PM

Euro, I didn't get to Vietienne, but I understand from friends that it's worth a day or two, not as interesting as LP. You can fly (fairly cheaply) from BKK to Vietienne. You can then take a hop to LP and fly back to BK from LP.

By the way, did you see my note to you under Gloria's report? (about wine in Thailand and a Portland restaurant recommendation)
Jan 12th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie!

I haven't seen your note but I will go look now, ok?
Jan 14th, 2006, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Jan 14th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Euro-
How about another island on the gulf side? Ko Tao? Do you dive?

What about more time in Bangkok with some overnight trips to Ayutthaya or Sukothai?

What about going to Phnom Penh after Siem Reap and making your way back to Bangkok via Ko Chang?

Finally, what about a week in Myanmar (Burma)?
Jan 21st, 2006, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kristina.

You replied to my "dark cloud" post this morning.

I may not spend the extra time due to the prognosis of my friend. I will keep in touch with her via email and if it looks like she has several months left I may stay. If her cancer is moving quickly I will be coming home to spend some quality time with her.

I am so very sad...