First Trip to Thailand

Aug 29th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

First Trip to Thailand

I have been reading the treads for the last several days and would like comments and a few answers to my planned trip.

Arrive BKK 11/29/07. Haven't decided on the hotel yet. Have Tong for 2 days, 1 day on our own.

Would like to go to Laos and Anantara, spending 3 days at each. What is my best route. Do I fly to Laos first, then drive to Anantara or fly. Can one drive from BKK to Anantara and see Angor Wat on the way?

I plan on using R24 for Bangkok res, who do you use for Luang Prabang and should Anantara be made directly with the resort?

The trip is taking shape thanks to all of your postings. I will post upon my return and hope to be of help.

Lizz
Aug 29th, 2007, 11:10 AM

Take a look at a map.

Angkor (in Cambodia) is not on the way bewteen Bangkok and the Anantara at Chiang Sean, Indeed, getting from the Anantara to Luang Prabang isn't all that easy. You might like one of the boat options (takes one or two days). Flights would mean changing planes in Bangkok, or flying between LP and CM and a drive.

How much time do you have? The logistics are complicated.

You'll need to make reservations as soon as possible. Popular places such as the Anantara may already be booked.

Please post your intended itinerary and we can help you shape it.
Aug 29th, 2007, 11:14 AM

Lizz,

Are you referring to the Anantara Golden Triangle in northern Thailand?

Generally, you will probably want to fly to all of your destinations. Fly Bangkok - Chiang Rai then drive (or be driven) to the Anantara. Fly Bangkok - Luang Prabang and fly Bangkok - Siem Reap for Angkor Wat. You need at least 3 days for Angkor Wat. You may be trying to accomplish too much on this trip, depending on how much time you have.

I recommend checking prices on several hotel reservations sites (precision, asiarooms etc.) as well as checking prices on the hotels' own web sites.
Aug 29th, 2007, 11:44 AM

L-I would contact the Anantara to see if they have any suggestions how to get to either Luang Prabang or in the alternative ti Vientienne. I think there is a boat from Vientienne to LP.
Aug 29th, 2007, 04:11 PM

Lizz, I know you will really enjoy your time with Tong! Plus you get her for 2 days, thats awesome! She will be able to show you so much of bkk in the short time you are there! The time we spent with her last december was one of the best days in all of our world travels. Wish we could help more with the hotel choice, we have only been to bkk twice and for both trips we stayed at the marriott, LOVED IT! Everyone here has a different favorite place to stay, I am sure you have noticed that if you have been around here for any length of time. Its hard to go wrong with about any place that fodorites suggest!