Japan version of Mapquest

Aug 28th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Japan version of Mapquest

Mapquest and Mappy don't provide directions (they do provide maps) for driving in Japan.

Is there a website that does?
Aug 28th, 2007, 10:53 AM

http://www.mapion.co.jp/ is very good, but not in English. Yahoo also does a map service in Japanese that is very good. I don't know of any site that provides driving directions in English.

Most people now have navigation systems in their cars. There are some systems available in English in rental cars picked up in the bigger cities through the big international rental agencies. Japanese navigation systems are rather intuitive though, and can be programmed with just the phone number of the destination. Although I do read Japanese (not perfectly though), I can easily use our Japanese language navigation system...I could not use the English language navigation system in my father's car this spring to save my life though, and it wasn't a language issue...if you intend to drive in Japan a navigation system is better than any paper map as the good ones tell you how to avoid traffic jams and reroute you if you make a wrong turn or miss a turn or something.
Aug 28th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Kim.

I hadn't thought about the language difference.
Aug 30th, 2007, 06:29 AM

This may help, you can at least look up addresses and place markers in English and then toggle onto Google Maps.

http://diddlefinger.com/