Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Is it wise to visit China 5 months pregnant?

Aug 26th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I want to take one last international trip before our first child is expected at the beginning of January. We have always wanted to go to China, and are considering going mid September. I will be a little over 5 months pregnant and am reasonably fit considering I am pregnant. Is this a wise idea? All thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Aug 26th, 2007, 08:23 PM

Please check with your doctor first.
Aug 27th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

I have spoken to my doctor and while she wasn't completely against the trip, she did have reservations regarding the long flight time, as well as the air pollution and food/water concerns upon arrival. I guess it's unlikely, but I was curious if anyone had visited China while pregnant and had any thoughts on the matter/
Aug 27th, 2007, 07:14 PM

I would not go. I was not pregnant when I went, but I researched the medical side of China fairly extensively before I left, and the consensus seemed to be that it was best to stay as healthy as possible while there. (Or as one of Fodor's competitors essentially said in their guidebook: stay as far away as you can from the Chinese medical system.)

Nobody plans on being sick when they travel, but you're also never as likely to need to see a doctor as when you are pregnant. Do you want to take that chance? Not to mention, as your doctor said, the food/water issues, the pollution, etc. China may be a fascinating country on one level, but there are many factors that, in my opinion, do not make it the best choice to visit for someone who is pregnant.

Aug 27th, 2007, 07:58 PM

Would you consider a differet Asian location? Thailand is more tourist-friendly, better infrastructure and an excellent medical system. Likewise, Malaysia has good infrastructure and excellent medical care.
Aug 28th, 2007, 12:51 AM

The air is so bad there. I have been to Fujzhou and Beijing and I know that here in Korea where we are living, we get "yellow dust" that drifts over from China. Having children is not the end of the world. I have had four and have traveled a lot. Please don't risk the long flight and exposure to the elements, etc. My retina detached while traveling in Cambodia and that was so scary! I had to leave and fly to Bangkok to seek treatment. I ended up coming back to Korea and having surgery (not fun in a hospital where no one speaks English, even though they have an "international wing". The only one who spoke English was me! Congratulations on your baby. Bask in the happiness of the moment and go somewhere else close by! pat w.
Aug 28th, 2007, 09:03 AM

About medical care... We are US expats who gave birth in Shanghai. My doctor here is Chinese but educated in the US and worked at the Cleveland Clinic for 20 years. My daughter's pediatrician was also educated in the US. My US expat colleague also gave birth here but chose a different hospital.

China is a pretty big country with varying quality of care. I'd expect bigger cities to have foreigner clinics and hospitals. Some of these take US insurance too. My clinic takes Aetna and some others, for example. I wouldn't count on foreign-trained docs in cities with small expat communities.
Aug 28th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think we are going to plan a trip to eastern europe instead.
Aug 28th, 2007, 08:15 PM

I'd suggest you choose carefully the countries Eastern Europe.

A couple of years ago I met a young intern from the Czech Republic. She said that she had come to the States to train on a special piece of equipment (sorry, don't remember the name of the equipment). She said that most large hospitals in the US had this equipment in-house, but that there were only two in the Czech Republic.

Why not go to Thailand or Malaysia, as Kathie has suggested, or Western Europe or somewhere with adequate and good medical care? This is such an important period of your life and your child's life.
Aug 30th, 2007, 06:40 AM

I agree, other parts of Asia would be great. In China, Hong Kong and Macao would be perfectly safe. Or Japan.

I know lots of women (expats) who were pregnant in China. About 50% decided to return to their home countries to give birth. The other half delivered at local Western-run hospitals. The care in big cities like Beijing and Shanghai would be fine, but once you travel outside these large cities I think it would be more limited.
Aug 30th, 2007, 08:40 AM

I think that's a pretty good decision. From just experience of my family members and various trip reports here, the incidence of travelers getting respiratory problems (mild coughing), or mild diarrhea is relatively high when traveling to China.

Not a big deal for most, but why subject to that risk for both the future mom and the fetus?