Reload this Page >

Update on Vaccines for Beijing CHINA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 09:15 PM
Michiko

Ok... I went to a new travel doctor in Tokyo and he said in Japanese (my translation)"You need to get the Hepatits A shot, but forget the others since you will only be in Beijing." I had a tetanus/diptheria booster shot about 10 years ago, but they wont expire actually until 2003. Lucky me! Also, he said Polio has been eradicated in China since 1995, so it is not essential to get the Polio booster shot if I do not want to (I also had the full Polio series vaccines when I was a kid). <BR>So... Do you think this doctor knows what he is talking about?<BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 11:38 PM
Paige

We just spent a week in Beijing and our doctor in Germany recommended the polio vaccine. I have no idea if we really needed it or not. He looked it up in a book which recommended polio shots for trips to China. I figured, we might as well get them because we travel a lot. We've already have Hep A & B shots so I don't know if those were recommended or not.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 06:50 AM
Dave

Check out &lt;http://www.cdc.gov/travel/eastasia.htm&gt; <BR><BR>Hepatitis A immunization is a good idea if you are going to be traveling almost anyplace overseas.<BR><BR>Your tetanus protection does not expire on Dec 31, 2002 at midnight. You should consider a booster shot now. Who knows?<BR><BR>My wife and I had the Hep A and B and tetanus shots a few years ago. We did not get any others before we went to China recently.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Bob H

Hep B protects you from poor medical care. Two doses are required, 30 days apart. Hep A also requires 2, 6 to 12 months apart, but you're well protected after the first one. Both are strongly recommended for China.<BR><BR>Also recommend that your tetanus is up to date.

Old Aug 24th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Mike

We went to China in May. The only vaccination we had was HepA. We even spent a week on the Yangtze, didn't even see a mosquito. China, what we seen in three weeks was fairly clean. I would get a HepB vaccination if I went back. The traffic there is unbelievable, the chance of an accident is higher than you might think. Better safe that sorry.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 11:13 PM
lze

Yes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. I did get the Hep A and B shots. Also the polio booster and tetnus. Considered Japanese Ensephilitis (can't spell that one) but did not get it and it was not necessary. You can go to the center for disease control and read the recommendations. That might help you decide.