Thailand trip 21-31 Dec: Suggestions?

Jul 26th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thailand trip 21-31 Dec: Suggestions?

I want to visit Thailand 21-31 Dec (travel dates inclusive) and need help w/hotels, etc. My hotel requirements include rates between $70-100 per night and opportunities for spa services, either on- or off-site. I'd like to spend the first few nights in Bangkok to shop and visit some cultural spots (museums, historical sites, etc). For the rest of our stay I'd like to travel by train or bus to a location that allows relaxation on the beach in between whitewater rafting and trekking along nature trails. My preference is to stay in quiet hotels that are off the beaten path and offer views of Thailand's natural beauty.
Numerous posts I've read in this forum have been helpful. I anxiously await your suggestions. Thanks.
Jul 27th, 2004, 06:33 AM

Try hotels in the Accor chain. Try the Novatel at Siam Square in Bangkok and there's also the Chateau de Bangkok by Sofitel. Happy Travels!
Jul 27th, 2004, 10:00 AM

Not easy to mix water rafting with beach, you could choose after a couple of days in Bangkok to go just a couple of hours to the River Kwai where there are all kinds of water rafting, kayaks etc, elphant rides, treking, and then just take a taxi/car+driver to a beach, perhaps Hua Hin if you want quiet, 3 hrs from River Kwai, try the Anantara resort and Spa or the Hyatt regency resort, both very nice. South of Hua hin is Sam Roi Yot National Park with hilltop temples, caves, fruit plantations etc, nice for a day trip. Do remember you are choosing the absolute peak 10 days of the year so do plan as soon as you can. You could aslo travel by road or a short 40 minute flight from bangkok to Trat/Koh Chang which is a wuiet relaxing island, the Panviman resort and Spa is quiet and relaxing and the island is not as commercial or crowded as say Phuket or Samui, that is if you truly want quiet. You could also opt for the Marriott Resort in Bangkok and the Marriott Resort and Spa in Hua Hin, and between spend a few days at the River Kwai. The Felix River Kwai is a good reliable hotel resort

http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/ka...felix/details/
Aug 4th, 2004, 01:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Chateau de Bangkok appears to be a beautiful property.
Aug 4th, 2004, 01:53 AM
Original Poster

JamesA: Thanks for your reply. Your responses in this thread are consistently thorough and specific. I appreciate your advice and am leaning towards BKK and Hua Hin.
Aug 4th, 2004, 06:41 AM

I'll be in Bangkok this month and will be at the Chateau de Bangkok for one night. I'll try to post how it was. I'll be in Bangkok for 7 nights and will be staying at five hotels. Bangkok has such great hotels until it's always hard for me to choose so I pick several and stay in different parts of town. Happy Travels!
Aug 4th, 2004, 02:55 PM

guenmai; seven nights at five different hotels? lol. it seems like half your time will be consumed in packing, unpacking, checking in, and out, and getting to your next hotel. when do find time to see bkk, unless, you have been there so often, that you've already seen alot of bkk. are you going to hotels you never used, or just want to relive an exceptional experience at these various hotels.
Aug 5th, 2004, 12:03 PM

To Kuranosuke- Changing hotels is really easy. I just get up early, and eat breakfast, and then check out of hotel#1 and have them hold my luggage for me. I then leave and go out and enjoy that area of Bangkok. Then I return to the hotel around 1:30 and pick up my luggage, and then hop into a taxi and go to hotel #2 and check in, shower, and go to lunch, After lunch, I walk around the new area and check things out and then go back to the hotel and rest up a bit,in hotel#2 and go out later when it's a bit cooler. As for the luggage...well...I've gone to Southeast Asia, in the past, for three weeks...Bangkok,Chiangmai, Bali and Singapore, and have only taken one 22-inch carry-on wheeled suitcase and my purse...that's it...packing light allows for flexibility. I usually also pack one, sturdy,preferebly Kipling, nylon bag too.Then I can fill it up with the things I have bought... and on the flight home I can check in the suitcase and take the items bought... on the plane. It's great staying in different areas of the city. Plus, my first hotel choice(Chateau de Bangkok) is only for arrival night...the next morning I'll fly to Singapore first and check into the "YMCA Hotel" and stay there nearly a week and then back to Bangkok for 6 nights...four hotels...and then fly back to L.A. from Bangkok. Happy Travels!
Aug 5th, 2004, 01:08 PM

guenmai: sounds like you got it down pat. i like the idea of staying in a different location, and exploring the area around your new hotel. saves alot of travel time.don't forget to eat some laksa in singapore. will be there in oct.
Aug 7th, 2004, 01:38 PM

Kuranosuke- Yes, laksa in Singapore and all of the other great dishes! Singapore is a fabulous place to eat until one can eat no more. Have you tried Indochine, on Club Street? There are three other locations,too. It's fabulous and the Laotian style sticky rice and mango is THE best...a lot less sweet than the Thai version. And then of course there's Lei Garden in the Chijmes complex and the Vietnamese restaurant in the same restaurant,near Peter Hoe Evolution store...where the fried bananas are great. And last, but not least is the Thanying Thai restaurants...one in the Amara Hotel right at the Tanjong Pagar MRT stop and the other at Clarkes Quay...fabulous. There are two in Bangkok,too that are also fabulous. Anyhow, Happy Travels and have fun in Singapore!
Aug 7th, 2004, 01:42 PM

Correction...I meant to type"... and the Vienamese restaurant in the same COMPLEX,near Peter Hoe Evolution store". Sorry.