Planning a honeymoon... late April early May BKK, Koh Samui

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So 4/29-5/11 next year I am looking into booking my honeymoon. We were planning on flying into Bangkok and staying there for 4 or 5 days, then Samui for a week. Just fishing for any pointers/advice on what to do where to go, etc....
Some questions I was curious about...

--THE HEAT...unfortunately this is the only time my fiancee's school schedule will allow us to go, but we are Floridians.... how does the heat/humidity compare?? Florida is extremely hot and humid in summers, but we are accustomed to it (although not crazy about it).

--HOTELS--We have Marriott points to use (about a weeks worth) but the Renaissance on Koh Samui seems to be on a less popular, not as nice beach (Laem Nam). I also noticed on agoda.com hotels on Samui are not very expensive for places that seem very nice. Has anyone stayed at the Renaissance Koh Samui? Would you recommend it? If not what resorts good for a honeymoon or which beach is best to saty on.... We could just as well use the hotel points in Bangkok... anyone know anything about Marriotts in Bangkok?

--TRANSPORTATION-- What is best way to get around Koh Samui? If we rent a jeep or motorcycle do we need a special driver's liscence or insurance?? What about getting around Bangkok... is the skytrain and subway pretty easy to navigate???

Any general info about stuff to do, places to check out, bars/restaurants (we are food snobs, lol), and entertainment would be appreciated... it will be our first time in Asia

Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 09:19 PM

Koh Samui and Bangkok will be a fabulous place for a honeymoon.

I would use the Marriott points in Bangkok and stay at the Marriott Resort and Spa on the river. It has the most "resort" like feel of any of the Bangkok hotels, beatiful pool area and lovely rooms. We tend to stay closer to central Bangkok these days, but for a first time visit and particularly a honeymoon, the leisurely Marriott boat ride to the Skytrain station will only be a very minor inconvienience and out weighed by the positives. The rail system is very easy to navaigate, as are the river boats and between these two modes of transport you will have easy access to many of the main shops and sights.

In Samui, I would recommend staying at a property on Choeng Mon Beach. It is my favorite beach on Samui these days, great sand and lovely clear water, without the constant noise and bustle of the other main beach areas. We recently stayed at the Whitehouse resort, which is a good 3 star standard and well situated in the centre of the beach, but there are several more upmarket properties if you are after something deluxe. They will all be a short walk to many excellent restaraunts.

Hiring a jeep in Samui is easy. There is a travel agent in Choengmon called TA travel that hire Suzuki Carribean hard-top jeeps for around 700 baht a day including insurance (10,000 baht excess) or you can spend more and hire something from Budget and pay extra for excess waiver. THe roads are good and easy to negotiate.

This will really open up your options. There are some fantastic beachfront restaraunts at Bophut beach which is about a 5 minute drive away.
Old Aug 15th, 2009, 11:46 PM

Hi

My wife and I went to Bangkok and Samui a couple of years back and we had a great time. We have been to Thailand before and it is a great vacation destination. Here is a Bangkok trip report that I made http://gardkarlsen.com/Bangkok_trip_report_2007.htm and a similar one from Samui http://gardkarlsen.com/Samui_trip_report_2007.htm . I hope that you can find some useful info there to start with. Get in touch if you have any questions

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 04:49 AM

The Renaissance is supposed to be very nice, but I'd have to agree to using your points for the Marriott in Bangkok and stay another place on Samui. Two suggestions for Samui would be the Anantara, which is a short walk from Fisherman's village, where there are several very nice restaurants, and none of the craziness you'll find in the bigger beaches; or the Muang Kulaypan at the north end of Chaweng. There are, of course, dozens if not hundreds of choices.

You will need an international endorsement to your drivers license to drive in Thailand. These are issued by AAA in the US. I don't recommend driving in Thailand, but other people do it without accident (although I like to point out that Samui has one of the highest accident rates in Thailand). Actually, there's not a lot to see in Samui. You can rent a car & driver for the day and see most of the islands sights in that one day. I consider Angthong to be a "don't miss" day trip.

Back to Bangkok - the Skytrain and subway are easy to navigate, as is the river boat, which is what you'll want to use to get to the main sights such as the Grand Palace, Temple of Dawn and Temple of the Reclining Buddha.
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 05:41 AM

What a fantastic idea for a honeymoon! Good for you! I'd stay a few days in Bangkok at the beginning of your trip, then head to Samui, and then return to Bangkok for at least the last two nights before flying back home. Bangkok has so much to offer. You will want to return there before you head home.

You can try two different hotels/areas in Bangkok by splitting up your visit. Do stay at the Marriott on the river when you arrive. You will enjoy the respite from the heat and traffic.

When you return to Bangkok, try staying in a more "central city" location. I always stay in the Sukhumvit area. I'm in the city right now, as a matter of fact, until Wednesday, when I'm returning to the USA. I like staying on Sukhumvit soi 8 at a place called the Adelphi Suites. It isn't the Marriott... but soi 8 is a very interesting look at "real" life in Bangkok. The people here are very friendly. Good restaurants and shopping are nearby. And the skytrain is about a 2 minute walk!

I just stayed at a 3* on Samui this past May. You probably want more lux for your honeymoon. It is very hot at that time, but if you are from FLA, you will be pretty used to what Thailand has to offer, weatherwise. Depending on your budget, you might like either Poppies or the Regent Samui on Koh Samui island. Both are on Chaweng beach (at opposite ends of the beach). Poppies is on a better area of beach, in my opinion. I like having the restaurants and night life options right outside the door of the hotel.

Taxis and tsongtaus (like mini trucks with seats in the truck bed) are plentiful on Samui. The price is pretty much not negotiable, but if you don't feel like driving you can still get around the island. Driving on Samui can be a bit crazy, but it is pretty hard to get lost! haha

In Bangkok, definitely use the skytrain and subway! Traffic in this city is unbelieveable!

Have fun planning. Give us an idea of what you are looking for. We're more than happy to help.

Carol
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 08:39 AM

There is lots to do in Bangkok. Start with your guidebook, then read some of the hundreds of trip reports here. Tell us what you are interested in and we can give you additional suggestions.

Bob has a list of Bangkok restaurants, but many foodies here have written extensively about food in Bangkok. Kristna has both written about and photographed Bangkok food. Look for her most recent rip to Bangkok report.
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 08:46 AM

Keep a really good trip blog The folks at home want to see it all. Good luck
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 01:15 PM

the renaissance is somewhat new, but if i am not mistaken it is a rework of an older holtel....the anantara is owned by the bkk marriott people...

using points in bkk is a good idea and the marriott resort and spa is my favorite....i will be there in november... the rooms are older but well maintained and the pool and garden area are the best in bkk... its a great place to hang out on day one and two when you are tired from your flight and you will be...

the peninsula is nicer and more high tech but also costs more, but it is your honeymoon...

staying along the river makes all the difference in the world... its easy to get to the skytrain and to the center of town from there plus its a bit cooler i think...

bkk vs fla.....no comparison---much hotter and more humid than fla 24/7, but november is the coolest time really..

ask for my restaurant list: [email protected]

everything in bkk has a/c so its not an issue, but walking is a drag...

have you thought about splitting your time in bkk? a few days at the beginning and a few at the end...it works well...

tons of shopping in bkk for men and women ....great household stuff.. check out the jim thompson main store...

ask us for more help when you have your plans set...

hire a jeep in samui ferom a travel agent in any town
Old Aug 16th, 2009, 11:17 PM

As Michael says, the Angthong Marine park is a fantastic day trip. It is a great place to kayak around some stunning little Islands and there are many great snorkeling spots around the park.
Another great thing to consider doing is a sunset cruise on a yacht. There are many operators, particularly on the Northern beaches that will take you out either as a part of a group or by yourselves.

I find driving around Samui to be very interesting. There are lots of great little undeveloped spots to stop and explore and heaps of beachfront eateries dotted around the Island. I particularly enjoy heading inland and driving through the tracks through the mountains. This is the Samui that few tourists see, amazing coastal views and waterfalls and you will even come across a few restaraunts perched up in the highlands. This is where you be happy that you choose to hire a vehicle with 4WD.
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 01:45 AM

I would thoroughly recommend hiring a 4WD on Samui - it is the best way of getting away from the lumpen masses.

get up in the hills, there's loads of interesting places to eat, waterfalls and spectacular views!!

However do BE CAREFUL when hiring. I would suggest you pay the little extra and go with Budget or any international company.
the problems start when something goes wrong and you find you are not insured. (even though you paid for it!!)
Strictly speaking you need an IDP (and your national licence) to drive....however the local hire companies will hire you anything you like on production of little more than your passport or library card.

If you are unfortunate enough to have an "incident" then that's when things get tough and you might find you have to pay out all sorts of cash to make it go away.

One tip is to photograph your vehicle from all sides before you drive off, so they can't make any "erroneous" claims as to body damage. It also will put off a lot of scamsters before they even start.
PS - suzuki jeeps have a rather high centre of gravity, so don't overdo it on the lateral lean!
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

WOW!!! thanks for all the responses. I am nervous about renting a car/jeep on samui given all the accidents, but it seems worthwhile, we'd love to explore a little bit.

We like bar hopping, meeting interesting people, and eating good food..... so it is hard to decide which part of the island to stay on. I want to be nearby the action but not in the middle of it... I want the hotel to be serene and beautiful, and on a nice beach. Not that any of the beaches on Samui look ugly from any of the pictures I have seen, but some reports have said that some are shallow, disappear when the tide comes in, and have lots of seaweed on it....

Given these little points, which beach is best on Samui??

I'm sure I'll be posting more as I make more plans... Thanks again for all your help and suggestions...
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 04:04 PM

i like the area around bophut, but when the tide is out you can walk for miles and still be only knee deep in water...

i personally love a pool right by the beach so you have the best of both....

as far as car traffic, there is not that much so don't be nervous about renting...now renting a scooter is another matter....they are dangereous in themselves and add the sand...
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 04:44 PM

The beach at Choeng Mon is pretty shallow at low tide but you can still get a good swim in at any time of day, you will just need to walk further. I cant recall seeing any sea-weed in our two weeks there but there are a few rocks that get exposed at low tide at either side of the bay. The central part of the beach has nothing but sand,glorious sand.

There are not many bars around Choengmon and the ones that are there are fairly quiet. If the nightlife is important you can easily cab it to Chaweng for 200 baht (some will charge 250-300 at night) It is certainly not isolated, but it has no night clubs, more a beach restaraunt type of place.

The water at Lamai beach is deeper and we went there several times and again saw no sea-weed. There is much more in the way of bars and nightlife here without the "craziness" of Chaweng. I used to love Chaweng but I wouldn't stay there now, just too many beach vendors and jet ski's and the beach front restaraunts there are way too expensive. I love the locally owned, non corporate type eateries where "Mama" is still in the kitchen cooking up a storm. These places have disappeared from Chaweng unless you go to the backlots, but there are still plenty of authentic Thai places with romantic sea-front settings on Lamai. For our next trip to Samui, we will stay in the Lamai Wanta Resort which is superbly located but not as "deluxe" as I think you may want, but if you find something that suits in this general vacinity, I would go with it.

Here is a link to my Photo page that has a few pics of Choeng Mon, Chaweng and Lamai.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38802197@N04/

I would concur with Bob (rhkkmk)in that it is more likely to be the scooters and motorbikes that make up the majority of the accident statistics on Samui. I never felt at danger. Just drive defensively and slowly in the built up areas. The majority of the roads carry very little traffic.
Old Aug 18th, 2009, 06:34 PM
Original Poster

ok shanek.... are those tigers on samui??? I would love to see them!! How beautiful!

I agree with you in that I prefer authentic/family owned restaurants vs. any kind of chain or super touristy restaurant. I love exploring places and happening upon places like that!
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 02:50 PM

Samui has an Aquarium that also has Tigers and quite an amusing (in a kitschy sought of way) exotic bird show that includes an appearance of the tigers. There are opportunities to get a photo here but not anything like the ones that I have uploaded. These were taken at the Tiger Temple near Kachanaburi, a few hours west of Bangkok. It can be done on a day trip and combined with a visit to the Floating and Train Track markets.

Many people will tell you not to go there as it has a reputation for some questionable breeding practices, but it is a pretty unique experience, particularly if they have cubs on display. My recent (incomplete) trip report includes a detailed report on our trip there.
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 05:17 AM

bkmk
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

UPDATE

So the flights are booked! Well from the states at least...
ATL-NRT then NRT to BKK we will be getting to BKK at 1150 pm
I was thinking going right over to hotel and trying to sleep a little and wake up at a normal am time to help with jetlag... but then again we'll probably be sleeping a lot on the plane rides over... any advice on combatting jetlag?

On many of your advice, we have decided to split the time spent in Bangkok. We will stay at the Marriott Resort on the river until May 1 when we plan to fly to Koh Samui. There we have booked 6 nights at the Sandalwood Villas, very well rated on tripadvisor (anyone heard of it or been to it?) Will return to Bangkok on May 7 where we will stay at the JW Marriott I believe this is in Sukhumvit area as some of you recommended.

After reading so many wonderful reviews, I am going to try and book at least day with Tong. What sights are best with her as a guide, and which can be easily done alone? I really like the idea of going to the Tiger Temple and Floating/Train markets, but have also heard that some of the markets are very touristy. I am not much of a shopper but enjoy trying local foods, seeing local customs/way of life, etc. What about Tong's "secret place" can this be combined with anything else? Any ideas/suggestions a great help!

Also, my search so far has been limited to the internet... although vast and full of information, I was going to get a tour book to bookmark and write all over. Any recommendations? Should I get one for Bangkok only or another for Koh Samui as well.

Once again thanks for everything, I look forward to hearing all your suggestions!!
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

just to add... I had sent an email to Tong as I wrote the last post, and she has already written me back to let me know most of the dates we are there, she is available!!! So exciting!!
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 09:48 AM

Glad things are coming together for you! Sounds like a plan to me. I have no comments on your choices or what to see with Tong, but I think you are on the right track! Have a great time. (prepare for hot hot hot as April is the hottest month in Thailand)
Carol
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 11:12 AM

Get yourself a Thailand guidebook. Fodors has a new edition out.

Jetlag - there are lots of posts here about jetlag. I always get in to Bangkok the same time you'll be getting in. I go to my hotel, get settled, a good shower and go to bed. If you can leave the curtains open in your room, it will help you awaken at the appropriate time. Get out and get some morning sunshine to help re-set your body clock. Stay up all day and try to get yourself on Thailand time as soom as possible. Don't spend time thinking about what time it is back home. I'm usually pretty tired by the end of the day and go to bed early that first day, but otherwise, I'm pretty much on Bangkok time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -