thailand organising your own trip...NOT TO DO

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 01:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok my brothers and me decedied to organize our own trip..
yes we did it
we are doing in the end, Bangkok, sukhothai, a must see apparently and chiang mai, by bus and returning from CM by plan BKK

1. BUT BUT when you order your tickets or hotels make sure it is a currency that you want to pay
we fell for the trap
and yes instead of paying 8000baht we paid 8000hong kong dollar which is a huge difference

2. you can definitely organise yourself but take hostels look according to their location in the city
of of our hotel in bangkok is quite far from everything, but ok well it was cheaper
hostels are definietely possible some of them have quite good reviews
so follow your mind and do it if you like it

3. I WILL DO IT ON MY NEXT POST AFTER MY TRIP...
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 01:41 AM
Original Poster

3. yes do not take thai airways
it is said on the thailand website as one of the low cost fares but if you can find chepaer do it

it is totally not like ryanair and easyjet kind of price
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 05:31 AM

thai air is not a discount airline like some you have mentioned. it is a full price, full service airline with all the associated benefits of a major airline.

remember cheapest is not always best.... that applies to airlines as well as hotels.... they cost more for a reason: serivce, location, on time, ameneties....

i love air asia and i find that even with all the add on amounts it is still way cheaper than a full service airline.
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 06:54 AM

Your post is more about the hazards of not doing your research than having anything to do with traveling to Thailand. The hazards of not doing your research are the same no matter where you travel.

Did you get charged in HK dollars because you used a HK site to book?
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 07:23 PM

simply challenge the transaction with your credit card company and it should be reversed and fixed
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 08:22 AM

Do some research. I've been planning my own trips around the world since I was a teenager in the 70s. And that was way before personal computers, travel forums, and all of the info available these days. And I came out fine. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 09:58 AM

Your posts seem counter to the thread title. The title advises not to book things yourself, but then advise on using hostels and not Thai Air. I don't get the point except that their is some useful advice in there.

1. Ok, so your advice is to know how much something should cost before you pay for it. Are you saying that I should have a travel agent do that for me instead of doing it myself?

2. The advice here is: instead of only looking for hotels which may be at a poor location, a traveler should also look for hostels in good locations at the same price. This is good advice for travelers whose primary consideration is price.

3. The advice here is to shop around. I don't use TAs but suspect that they don't do this to the degree that you might do yourself. Anyway, you did not give an alternative.

As far as Thai Air goes, that is who I used to go to Chiang Mai and back to BKK. The fare was good, they used wide-body jets, and they allowed me to use their modest lounge at BKK before departure. It may have not been the rock-bottom lowest price way to get to Chiang Mai, but it certainly was acceptable.