Need help planning Japan, Hong Kong, Thailand trip, please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having trouble planning a 6-week trip to Asia this fall. I'd like to see Tokyo and Kyoto while in Japan, spending maybe 7-10 days there. I'd like to go to Thailand for a month or so -- it will be my third trip there, and I can plan that pretty well on my own without any difficulty. Also, I'd like to stop in Hong Kong for a few days.

The main problem I'm having is in regard to airfares. I can fly between SFO and BKK for $800 or so. Adding the two stopovers, increases the cost substantially -- over $3000 on expedia!

My dates are pretty flexible, anytime after September 1. And I don't need to visit the places in any particular order. Any suggestions on how to keep the airfares costs down? I would be willing to eliminate a stopover in Hong Kong, if necessary -- or make it a side trip during my stay in Bangkok, if that would help.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 01:21 PM

Try dealing directly with the airlines over the phone. There are a lot of fares that offer a stopover in Tokyo en route to either Hong Kong and Thailand. Perhaps use a discount airline between BKK and HKG if you can't find a reasonable fare with 2 stopovers, or do an open jaw HOME - BKK stopover in Tokyo HKG - HOME with BKK - HKG on a discount airline with a seperate ticket.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 01:33 PM

I tried some dates on travelocity using the multi-destination option and got a fare of about $2100 (sept 1 to nrt, sep 7 kix to bkk, oct 5 to hkg, oct 10 to sfo). Probably would be lower to choose flying into and out of NRT enroute to BKK.

You could also take a look at air passes. The Star Alliance passses are described at this site: http://www.star-alliance.com
Also, Cathay Pacific has a pass that would work. All you flights would be via hkg.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 04:16 PM

I would also try www.airgorilla.com. I booked a 10 day trip to Tokyo and Hong Kong and spent a little over 1000 bucks on air faire.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 05:50 PM

Thailand is a popular golf paradise and home to many world class designed golf courses. There are many reasons for golf lovers to golf in Thailand... such as the many challenging and exciting golf course, the reasonable playing fee, the excellent club-house, beautiful course lay-out and the cheerful atmosphere with the charming caddies. Thailand is the best golfing holiday destination in Asia and the Far East.

Popular golfing destinations within Thailand such as Bangkok, Cha-am, Chiangmai, Chiangrai, Hua Hin, Kanchanaburi, Khao Yai, Pattaya, Phuket and Rayong offers excellent golfing experience with more than 200 golf courses to choose from. There are more than 100 international standard golf courses throughout Thailand and it makes Thailand one of the best golfing destination in the world. Reasonably priced green fees as well as caddies' fee makes Thailand the most popular golfing destination in the Far East and Asia.

We specializes in planning and arranging the best golfing holidays Thailand, home to some of the world's best golf courses. Our customers come to us because they seek professional expertise and one-stop convenience for Thailand golf holidays. We offer value-for-money services as all our golfing holidays are specially packaged with you in mind. With us hosting your golfing holidays, your only worry is the next shot!

Golf vacations for golfers by golfers... http://www.cuegolf.com

Old Jul 24th, 2006, 06:06 PM

hey, cue, no advertising allowed.
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 07:26 PM

never rely on expeia or travelocity for actual flights....they are good for planning but terrible if you want anything out of the ordinary....

call the airlines as suggested..

try the cathy pacific multi city pass....it might work for you---nope sorry your stay is too long...

most airlines allow at least one stop in asia and some allow one stop in each direction so work it from that angle...

try thai air from lax....

also northwest goes to all those places so maybe fly to bkk with a stop on the way in japan and then fly home from bkk with a stop in HK using a partner airline to get there?? this is the type of creativity you need to try....

or fly to taipai from CA using eva or china air and then fly to the other cities from there...

see what japan air could do for you...

use an air broker or an asia run travel agent in LA or maybe even in SF
Old Jul 24th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions. My dates and itinerary are very flexible, so I will make a few phone calls directly to the airlines and see what I can come up with.