Some input please.

Oct 7th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Some input please.

n May-June I will be traveling to Singapore, Thailand, then of to Hong Kong for my flight home. I have close to three weeks for this trip. The last 4.5 days are in Hong Kong flying in form Thailand,
Question is Hong Kong worth going to? or should I just stay in Thailand and fly home from there. If I do stay, can anyone recommend side trip(s). I will be in Thailand for 15 days if I do not go to Hong Kong. Also what will the weather be like?
Oct 7th, 2007, 06:25 PM
rbm

Hi ramz,
I lived in Hk for 20 years.Not much to recommend anymore. It is now just another Southern China city without any of the attributes that made it an iconic tourist "must-see" in the past. Weather in Bangkok at that time should be fine as November approaches.
Oct 7th, 2007, 07:00 PM

Hong Kong is certainly worth going to. I've been several times and have always enjoyed it. 4.5 days is good for a first visit. Do note that HK is quite expensive, as hotels are high priced.

You could easily spend 15 days in Thailand and not get bored. With 15 days on the ground, you could visit 3 places in Thailand. People on a first trip often choose Bangkok, a northern Thai location, and a southern beach. Thailand is much les expensive than either HK or Singapore. So budget may play a part in your decision making.

For weather (it will be hot all of those places) take a look at www.weatherbase.com

Pick up a good guidebook to Thailand to help you decide what locations you might be interested in.
Oct 8th, 2007, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Rbm, Katie, I think I might be leaning towards not going to China at all, and just tour Thailand more. How would you divide 16 days in Thailand to make sure i get the best understanding of the land, and the culture. Also a day at the beach might be in order. By the way I am single male 42 yrs and will be solo,
Oct 8th, 2007, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

oh by the way if anyone will be there May/june lets hook up for a drink or a tour.
Oct 8th, 2007, 03:39 AM

ramz - you owe it to yourself to take heed of Kathie's tips.

You have six months to go. Why not do some research - get a guide book, read up, ask specific questions.

Me personally? I wouldn't pass up the chance to visit HK. Three days would be about right for someone with limited time.

Can't you do that? Must it be 4.5 days or not at all?

Oct 8th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks chimani I will need to buy a plane ticket to get to hong kong, then I hear it's not cheap for hotels. As all other legs are covered with points I redeemed. Just thinking that My dollar will go further in Thailand and the surrounding area. Like you said I am still aways away and will do more research
Oct 8th, 2007, 08:41 AM

So you have 16 days on the ground in Thailand? Give us some more idea of what you are interested in and we can be more helpful.

I'd certainly spend a fair amount of time in Bangkok - you'll want to visit wats and shrines, ride the water taxis on the river, eat fabulous Thai food, perhaps shop, get great massages. etc. There are some very interesting house museums as several places that are worth visiting if you are interested in the arts of SE Asia, but we need to know more about your interests.

You'll want some time in the north. I'm not fond of Chiang Mai, though some people on this board love it. I'd suggest perhaps a loop through some of the smaller towns in Northern Thailand, such as Mae Hong Son and Pai. There is treking, rafting, elephants, etc in the north.

There are lots of beachs in Thailand. If you just want a day or two at the beach, you'll likely want somewhere you can drive to (well, actually be driven) from Bangkok, so you might consider Hua Hin or Jomtien.

You could certainly spend your whole 16 days in Thailand and nver run out of new things to see and do. But if you are interested in visiting the temples at Angkor, you might consider this for a minimum of three days in Cambodia. If you think you might want to visit Angkor, buy a copy of Dawn Rooney's book, Angkor.

You are welcome to view our photos of SE Asia at www.marlandc.com Sometimes a photo can be the inspiration you need!
Oct 8th, 2007, 09:10 AM

I think most visitors still find Hong Kong a very interesting place to visit for a few days; and it's still very distinct from the rest of China.

But if you're looking for the best for your buck in terms of hotels, especially highend ones, then yes, it's expensive. A 5* hotel costing $150 a night in BKK will cost $500. But there are more affordable 3*s around.

And, you can visit Macau from Hong Kong. An hour ferry ride, no visa needed. Hotels are cheaper there too. You can probably still get the Venetian or Wynn for about $120-150. Many other 3-4* hotels for $50 and up.
Oct 8th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie such wonderful pics. Being A first timer this trip seems A bit over the top for me. I will surly read up and do my homework on places to go. I may divide my time in Thailand with a trip down to the resort area e.g Phueket (sp).
Oct 8th, 2007, 05:51 PM

Since you are going in May/June, Phuket won't have the best weather for a beach location. You could opt for the Hua Hin area, or Koh Samui depending on exactly when you go. The weather link I gave you earlier will be helpful in deciding which beach area to visit.
Oct 9th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks katie. Just how much rain should I expect in Thailand May\June.
Oct 9th, 2007, 03:15 PM

Different areas have different weather patterns. Take a look at www.weatherbase.com and check each location you plan to visit. Compare the rainfall in Phuket at that time of the year, with another beach area like Hua Hin.