Thailand- Karon Beach vs. Kata Beach

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The last time I posted this it did not go in the Thailand section.
My new husband and I are coming to Phuket for our honeymoon in November. We have a Jr. Suite booked at the Katathani in Kata Beach but then just saw a special going on at the Crown Plaza and it has tempted us to switch our reservations. Can anyone tell me which destination would be better for our honeymoon, Kata Beach or Karon Beach? Does anyone prefer one beach to another? How far away are the two cities from each other? Thank you so much.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 01:54 PM

I just stayed at the Katathani about 4 weeks ago, also in a jr.suite, and it was very lovely. I really think you would be very happy there. Another choice would be the Villa Royale which is just steps away from Katathani, but up on the rocks next to Kata Noi beach rather than directly ON the beach. Villa Royale would be a wonderful honeymoon destination, unless you really want that BEACH FRONT location.

The Katathani is located on Kata Noi beach, not Kata Beach. Kata Noi is a smaller (but lovely) beach just south of Kata Beach. Kata Beach would be my next choice, not Karon. I've not stayed on Karon, but would choose not to, just my opinion.

Kata and Karon are both smaller towns that have shops and dining options. Kata Noi is smaller yet, but does not offer much in the way of dining right there, other than the Katathani itself, which has several options. We found it very easy to get to Kata Beach and also Patong (the busiest town, also biggest beach) by just getting a driver right outside the front door at the Katathani. There are taxis and vans waiting, ready, willing, and able to take you to Kata or where ever you want to go on Phuket!

Two of the best restaurants on Phuket (IMO) are located at Kata Beach. One is the Boathouse Grill, located at Mom Tri's Boathouse resort. The other one is Mom Tri's Kitchen, located on the Villa Royale property.

I have not seen or stayed at the Crown Plaza, but I cannot imagine that it would be any nicer than the Katathani!

Kata Noi, Kata, Karon, and the busy Patong are all in a row, one after the other, along the southwest coast of Phuket. You can get from one to the next in very little time (taxi or tsongtau.. tuktuk truck) in about 10 minutes, depending on traffic. Kata Noi to Patong is more like 25 minutes, up and down the hills, and along the beach road. It's a fun and scenic ride in places. Great photo ops from the hilltops, looking down along the beaches.

Enjoy your Phuket visit.

Carol
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 02:20 PM

Karon beach is lovely. What about Marina Phuket Resort, on the headland between Kata and Karon beach? It is a great looking property.

We stayed at In on the Beach, on Karon Beach, recommended by JamesA. It was delicious! But not for a first honeymoon. More a second or third honeymoon. Karon is around 3-4 kms from Kata. The beach joins the two destinations, around a headland.
I liked Karon Beach better than Kata, but Kata town has lots more restaurants & bars than Karon. If its beach, then its Karon, for me. For nightlife, its Kata. It's a 200 baht taxi ride between the two. Have a magic honeymoon.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 10:19 PM

Stick with the kata Thani, both are small beach resort areas, the Kata Thani is a long established place with a good reputation the Crown Plaza has been mentioned but to my knowledge this is new and hence some low rates, go with the Kata Thani is my suggestion.