Thailand in November

Search

Thailand in November

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand in November

Going to Thailand for the first time....and I am excited! I love all the help on this site.

I read about a giude named Tong, does someone have a number or email for him/her?

I will post my planned itenerary, when I have it, and hope for comments.

Thank you,

Lizzk
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 10:03 AM

TourwithTong.com

There is a very good chance that she is already booked for your dates. However, she can recommend someone else on her team. There have been many favorable reports of team members.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 11:30 AM

Hi,

You may not need a "special" guide called Tong! First, find a hotel near the Skytrain so you will have easy and simple transportation for most areas of Bangkok.

When you have to travel within Bangkok you can use the Skytrain or take a cheap METER taxi. In Bangkok avoid the parked taxi cabs, especially near expensive hotels, wave a moving taxi down - tell the driver meter only and the fare will be cheaper than bargaining. Air conditioned METER taxi cabs are cheaper than tuk-tuks.

Back to tours, once you have checked into your hotel take a look around your area. Usually in Bangkok there are hundreds of travel agents all over the city. These travel agencies serve as brokers for tour companies.

Travel agents will have a menu list of available tours. They have tours to almost all of the popular tourist attractions at reasonable prices. You can ask information and prices and compare those prices and offerings with other travel agencies. Choose the company you prefer.

Many hotels also can set you up with tours too! Often they end up with the same tour companies you can get on your own, except you pay a little more. Hotel tour desks are another source of good cheap information.

All of the tour companies pick you up at your hotel (or where you specify for the pick up) and bring you back there at the end of the tour. IT IS REAL EASY TO GET A TOUR ON YOUR OWN!

So, choose a hotel near the Skytrain, find nearest travel agent - book tour! Often you can book a tour the night before and leave in the morning.

In Thailand tourism is a major business, they are geared up to make your trip a pleasant experience. Thailand wants you to come back again and again!

Millions and millions of tourists go to Thailand every year - only a very teeny, weeny small percentage actually get private tours like Tong! Most of the travelers get tours on their own - unless they have problems making simple decisions.

Give it a try on your own.

By the way, taxi and bus service from the airport to downtown Bangkok is pretty easy to gett!

Good luck.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 12:32 PM

Sir Halberd is right that you do not need a guide. Bangkok and Thailand are easy to do without a guide, However, even though we've been there many times, we found one day with Tong tremendously enhanced our experience. Many other Fodorites have found the same. A guide is not essential, but can add to your good times. Either way, Thailand is super.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 01:57 PM

A guide is not essential, nor is any kind of tour. You can do it all on your own. But if a guide (or a tour) would enhance your experience, then by all means, do it. No matter what you decide do plan to use public transport when you can (especially the water taxis) as it will give you a real feel for the city.

By the way, all taxi cabs have meters, no matter where they are parked. You should ask every driver to use the meter. If they won't, get out.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 07:53 PM

Previous msg.

"By the way, all taxi cabs have meters, no matter where they are parked. You should ask every driver to use the meter. If they won't, get out."

True, most of them do have meters but if they are parked outside an expensive hotel they figure you are rich and can pay more! Parked taxi cabs lurking near hotels and even the bus station USUALLY want to bargain the fare!

Hail a moving taxi and tell the driver to use the meter, if the driver refuses grab another taxi - there's hundreds of the little buggers!

You can use public transportation to reach many of the popular tourist attractions. However, Thailand has two tier pricing, if you are Thai you can enter many places for free or real cheap, if you are a Farang tourist your price can be quite a bit more! Tour agencies often get their customers into tourist attractions at the lower Thai rate!

You can go it on your own, use an organized tour or pay a private tour guide like Tong - up to you!
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 08:15 PM

With regard to Bangkok taxis,the key is to insist on using the meter. Very often, the driver will want to bargain the fare or just give you a price which he claims will be cheaper. This is a NO,NO,NO. Always make sure the taxi meter is used.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 08:24 PM

get out if they won't use the meter!!!
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 02:21 AM

I was just in a taxi yesterday going from Oriental Place to Surawong and the guy tried to take off without turning on the meter until I said sternly twice..."Buet Meter Noi". If he had not turned it on then I would have said,"Yoot tii nee khaa!". I would have then gotten out of the taxi. The guy was such a jerk until instead of going where I was headed I told him to take me to the Saladang BTS station instead and then I got out, paid him and walked to where I needed to go. He lost out on extra cab fare which he would have made had he driven me to where I was going. Happy Travels!
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 05:13 AM
pat

taxi drivers tried to tell us that the meter was "broken." So we got out.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 05:32 AM

I can only remmember one time in all of my trips to Bangkok when a taxi driver wouldn't use the meter so I got out. I stay at expensive hotels and I have had none of the taxi drivers that picked me up from the hotel line balk at using the meter. I actually think that if you are nervous about it and want to assure that a driver will use the meter, have the doorman at a hotel get a taxi for you. Hotels don't like it if a taxi driver tries to cheat oone of their guests.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 05:37 AM

gune---i guess he did not understand your thai.....maybe you had the wrong inflection in your voice??