Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Package for Thailand (Flying from NY to Bangkok)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for moderately priced package for Thailand that does not include airfare. I already have the flight covered, round trip from NY to Bangkok. I am going on my own from NY to meet up with someone from Europe. She is travelling with her family to Bangkok and has already booked a package. But I cant use it since its only meant for people from that country. Does anyone know of any reliable travel web sites or agents where I can get a package for Thailand that does not include airfare? Any ideas?
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 07:46 PM

quite frankly in thailand you do not need a package....hotels are very reasonable and getting around is also easy....you can do it all on your own and with short notice....

your airline however may offer a land package through its tour arm....ask them....

some large travel firms also sell "land only" packages, so you might check with them....pacific delight comes to mind as one such..
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 07:52 PM

To me, the benefit of a package would be save money on the total price of airfare and hotels. You haven't said what sort of package you are looking for or if you want to have the same intinerary and hotels as your friend or not, or where you want to go besides BKK.

You might find that some companies can give you land only prices, so you could join a tour after the air portion. There are also lots of tours you could join once you arrive in Thailand, for a day, a week, or a month. If a group tour is what you have in ming, you mgiht start by visiting your local travel agent and inquiring about land only pricing.

You could also book your hotels yourself, either directly with the hotel, or via a third party online booking agent like sawadee.com, asiahotels.com or precisionreservations.com...there are others, but these come to mind first.

If you want recommendations for places to stay and things to do, you'll need to say where you are going, for how long, what your budget is and what your interests are.

There is also an incredible amount of information on Thialand on this forum. Just type Bangkok in the search box and start reading. Try searching Thailand as well, and any other topics that interest you.
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

I am looking for land only package. Since I am using my airmiles, the airline I am going thru does not offer land only package.

I would like to go to Bangkok, Koh Somui, Phuket the least. I will be there for 15 days or more if necessary. My budget is about $3000 that should include food/hotels and travelling within Thailand the least.

I am very active individual. I am interested in outdoor stuff.
Are there any tours that anyone can recommend that are land only that I could join in Thailand that include Bangkok, Koh Somui, Phuket the least.

Thanks

Old Nov 24th, 2005, 08:22 PM

for $3000 you can stay at the best places and travel first class all around for 15 days...

why are you insistent on a package...

most 15 day package tours to thailand which include air, both internally and across the pacific, and most of your food and all hotels and other transportation do not cost $3000....
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the support. I knew that $3000 was a lot for 15 days excluding airfare but had to put it out there since its my first time to Thailand. I would ideally like to stay for 20-25 days and see more places including the ones mentioned for $3000. I will be leaving in early Feb 2006. I am not looking for 5 star accomodation but moderate accomodation. I would like to spend more money on food and doing things than accomodation.

I am going to do more research as mentioned by "KimJapan" and post again with my thoughts.

Thanks you guys
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 10:13 PM

I think you'll do better on your own. $3000.00 s plenty of money for 3 weeks. We have a budget of $3000.00 for 18 days, for 3 people, for Christmas/New Year (read most expensive time of the year). That budget is for everything except airplane, which we bought with miles.

There are plenty of activities and day tours you can join when you in Thailand. For example, we are doing a bicycle tour for one day in Bangkok...Ko Kret Island. We have been to Bangkok 4 times before, but never been up the river to Ko Kret, and we were looking for something different. We have arranged a private bicycle tour with spiceroads.com...the group thing isn't for us, but just us and a guide is fine.

We are also doing sea kayaking in Phang Nga bay with John Gray Sea Canoe http://johngray-seacanoe.com/ We did decide to join the group on this one...Hong by Starlight. If you are interested in a longer, more intense experience, they have those too. Also, Paddle Asia is a good company I've heard. www.paddleasia.com

February should be a lovely time to go. What I'd suggest is to spend a good while browsing hotels on sawadee.com. They also have good information on the areas as well to get you started. For under $100.00/night you can do very, very well. In the $50.00 range outside of BKK you'll do well too.
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 02:52 AM

As noted above, you can arrange the land portion on your own. However, if you want someone else to do it, try Grgg at Innovasian.com. He can do everything for you. Also, he is open to doing only a portion. For instance, last year, he was able to get a hotel in Phuket ( the Royal Meridien Phuket Yacht Club) at a better rate than I could find.