Looking For Reliable Tour Operators For Thailand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2018, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone, 31/m here, single, looking to escape winter. I'm interested in joining a tour of like minded people (singles hopefully) for a trip to Thailand, can anyone recommend a reputable tour operator? Ideally I'd like it to start/stop in Bangkok, tour the islands and optional do the full moon party (not a priority, but it would be cool to see a party of that size and magnitude). I'd like to spend no more than $2000 USD, and be 10 - 14 days in length. Any ideas?

So far I have found Intrepid, G Adventures and Thai Experience, can anyone speak to their reputation?

Thanks!
Old Dec 18th, 2018, 12:53 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I suggest you forget a tour and just do it yourself. Thailand was the first country I visited in Asia some years ago and now with all the online resources it's easier than ever. I don't know anyone who's bothered paying someone to lead them around this easiest of counties for visitors.

I suppose there are some or the tours wouldn't be offered, but on your own you can choose where to go & with whom, people you'll certainly meet along the way. And easy to change directions as you go, rather than being stuck with an itinerary & companions, enjoying them or not. I strongly suggest striking out on your own, easy & as cheap as you need it to be. There probably have been no other responses because few have any experience with a tour to easy easy Thailand.
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 02:54 AM

You can book your own flights to Thailand. Round trip to Bangkok. Hotels available in various price ranges. Bangkok, a beach area and a visit to Chiang Mai usually gives most tourists a little bit of everything. Final night back in Bangkok will allow final tourist shopping and set you up for an easy ride to the airport. (Bangkok has 2 airports. Don Muang is the older and smaller airport. Don Muang has a lot of local flights.)

You might be getting a little old for Full Moon Parties which often have teenagers doing things they don't want their parents know about. Some older males do go there looking for foreign women who are passed out on drugs or alcohol.
Full Moon Party, Fullmoon Party, Koh Phangan, Thailand

For Bangkok many younger tourists head for Khao San Road area to be around other younger tourists. My particular preference is other parts of Bangkok where I can use the local city rail service. Bangkok is a huge city!
https://www.fodors.com/world/asia/th...ods/banglamphu
https://www.tripzilla.com/areas-stay-bangkok/45342

In Thailand if you are in one spot long enough you can sign up for shared tours through local travel agencies. Some hotels may have a tour desk too. A shared tour is you and a few other tourists in a van going to various tourist sites. Sometimes you make friends and sometimes you do not. You are old enough to hit up a cheap beer bar. Lots of friends there even if you rent one!

Phuket is popular with tourists. Phuket is also more expensive than Bangkok. (Local transportation is really cheap in Bangkok when you figure out the meter taxis, use buses or your hotel is near the Skytrain.) Chiang Mai is a nice area to experience a little culture. But if nightlife is your thing Bangkok and Phuket or Pattaya will have more.

Many tourists visit Thailand on their own without an organized tour. Thailand is tourist friendly. Good long distance buses, trains and discount airlines available.

If flying long distance from N. America or Europe stay for 14 days.

Always read up on scams to avoid. Research how to get from airport to hotels. (Thailand has some hostels, some are about the same price as guest houses or small private hotels.)

Buy or borrow from a library a guide book for Thailand. Plan a budget out, figure out how much money you have available each day after paying for your plane rides to Thailand and back. Bangkok to "good" beach area down south is not a short ride. Also Bangkok to Chiang Mai is not a short ride. Google search will give you some advice for how to get from Bangkok to Koh Phangan, to Phuket or to Chiang Mai.

Lots of people travel solo. Retirees, widows and widowers, kids on school breaks.

If you were thinking of traveling this month keep in mind that December - January is high season for hotel bookings and the cost of hotel rooms. Also sometimes the cost of flights might be more than other times of the years.

Good luck.
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 05:08 AM

I assume from your comment that "interested in joining a tour of like minded people" . You do just that and prefer not to travel alone.

Of course it is possible to go it alone, but if you prefer a tour for social reasons why not.

I have never used a tour myself, but have had friends who have used Intrepid and were pleased ( never heard of the other two).
I am sure you can get info on age ranges etc. Even if I were 31, I wouldn’t want to spend two weeks with either a bunch of 18year olds or a group of 60 somethings!
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 06:43 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I still can't help but wonder, how does one determine which tour has the "like-minded"? Seems a tricky proposition to me.
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 10:10 AM

I agree MmePerdu, I doubt I would find many like minded people, especially a bus load of them! But you never know and plenty of people do seem to enjoy these trips.

Intrepid especially does have extensive trip notes (which I sometimes refer to in planning trips) and I am pretty sure Intrepid at least, detail the median age range and type of trip e.g. bare bones or slightly luxurious etc.
Old Dec 19th, 2018, 11:16 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
A young relative goes on Insight Tours as well as travels independently.