Thailand -- Early Nov -- Weather in Andaman Sea vs. Gulf of Thailand

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Visiting Thailand in late Oct./early Nov. Want to spend first week of November on a nice sunny beach. Which area would you recommend: locations along the Andaman Sea (i.e. Krabi? Phuket? Other?) or along Southern Thailand in the Gulf of Thailand? Any help would be appreciated.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 12:23 PM

Late October and the beginning of November is when the seasons change, rain eases off on the Andaman side (Phuket, Krabi, Koh Lanta etc) and starts up around Koh Samui. Unfortunately it's a bit of a gamble either way! As it it a period of season change it is 'impossible' to say for sure which will have less/more rain.
Here are the stats and you will see clearly what I mean, these are rainfall in inches for Oct and Nov

Phuket=12.0 / 8.2
Samui= 10.2 / 11.9

So you can see end Oct into beginning of Nov is a toss of a coin but if I had to make a bet I would go for Phuket. If you head to krabi and it rains it's not so good because the beach at Ao Nang is not good and people tend to go to Railey or Phuley for best beaches, so if it rains it wrecks that idea. I would go for Phuket and I would probably also opt for a busier than quieter beach area so if it does pour down you have quick and easy access to places to go like Shopping/restaurants.
Unless you are really unluckey you should get sunshine, it doesn't help even looking at say Hua hin which has about the lowest rainfall for any beach because that goes up to 7.9/8.0 around that time ( though the only 2 months of the year to actually get any 'solid' rainfall ).

Old Apr 20th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

I like your idea of having the possibility of other options if the weather does not cooperate. Thinking more and more about Phuket. We do not want to be totally isolated either. Want to be able to explore, etc without being tied to a hotel's shuttle/boat. Any suggestions for Phuket? Which beach area? What would you recommend?
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 03:57 PM

Kata beach on Phuket has a little of everything, beach is very nice plus there are restaurants nearby without it being packed, if you want night market stalls, busy area and nightlife you are about 20 minutes from Patong, it's a convenient location, quiet enough without being isolated whatsoever. Kata Thani is a good safe bet, across the road from the beach, or the Kata Beach resort is right on the beach. Flights are easy and plentiful, Thai Air Asia and Nok Air(starts June) are budget carriers, book a few months ahead to get the cheapest fares. Flight takes 1.10.