Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam

Old Sep 25th, 2003, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam

In December I am going on a three week trip to Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam that is sponsored by our college. The itinerary is fixed. The places we will visit are Bangkok, Maha Sarakham [Thailand]; Phnom Penh, Siem Reap [Cambodia]; Ho Chi Minh City, Hanoi [Vietnam].

As I stated there is absolutely NO itinerary flexibility. What I am seeking are folks "top three" sites in each location. What are the absolute "don't misses." I am also interested in good, moderate, easily accessible restaurants.

Thanks!
Old Sep 25th, 2003, 07:43 PM

bangkok---grand palace, trips on the river, shopping, wat arun

siem reap: temples, temples, temples---all are equally interesting---eat at red piano and la noria

hanoi--halong bay, old quarter, pottery towns outside of hanoi

haven't been to the other places

you will love it...
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 01:59 AM

ho chi minh city:
1.war museum
2.chu chi tunnels(about 30 kilometers outside hcmc)
3.president palace
4.former us embassy (you can not get in there)
5. 1000000 markets
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 03:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help rhkkmk & jannik. It is gratefully received

And I'm open for more here
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 11:10 PM

Bangkok: Grand Palace, Wat Arun, shopping! Restaurants: My favorite restaurant in Bangkok is, as a friend said, the last one I ate in.

Siem Reap: (this is tough) Angkor Wat, Bayon, Ta Prohm (but surely you will see more) Restaurants: Butterfly House, Kampuchino(sp?)Pizza, 2-for-1 happy hour at the Grand Hotel when you've GOT to have a margarita.

Phnom Penh: National Museum (lots of stuff from Angkor is here), Foreign Correspondents Club (visit it, eat & drink there), one of the large markets.

Have a great time -- December is a really good time to be in Siem Reap. Weather is at its best.
Old Oct 1st, 2003, 07:21 PM

In Hanoi: the Ancient Quarter; an evening performance of the Water Puppets; Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum & Museum; if time permits, the Temple of Literature. Also, take an early-morning walk around Hoan Kiem Lake. For restaurants: check the Fodors reviews but do try the Cha Ca La Vong and the Hoa Sua - a Web search will find them - and for coffee, the Cafe Au Lac.
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies folks -- it's very helpful indeed.

Unfortunately, because of "scheduling" -- we will have only 24 hours in AW -- the good news is that we can see it at night -- and it's a full moon The bad news is that we will have only a partial day there the next day and we will be guided so not much choice there
Old Oct 4th, 2003, 12:52 PM

sfowler, the park closes at sunset so unless your group has made special arrangements, you may be disappointed about seeing the full moon over Angkor Wat.

On the other hand, if it happens to be rising early, and if you manage to stay behind on the top of the Bayon, and if you're very quiet about it, it may be several hours before a guard discovers you are there, and you may see a sight of rare beauty as the full moon illuminates one massive stone face after another.

I'm not advocating this, of course, but it could happen...