Thailand/Cambodia Honeymoon Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have finally come up with our itinerary and booked the flights. I've done a lot of reading on these boards and appreciate all your opinions. Here's what we have:

4 days in Bangkok
4 days in Siem Reap
5 days in Koh Lanta - Pimalai
2 days in Bangkok - 4 Seasons

Any and all feedback is welcome. We are also still undecided as to hotels for the first 4 in Bangkok and also in Siem Reap. I have read all about the river hotels in BKK, but aren't sure if we would waste too much time going back and forth? If we don't stay by the river what is the best location as a base for siteseeing and shopping and eating? We are looking to spend ~100/night since we are splurging the second half of the trip.

We've booked a guide in Siem Reap but still no hotel. Recommendations for $70 or less per night? We just require a pool and clean rooms, since we won't be spending all that much time at the hotel. Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 14th, 2005, 07:52 PM

you might not get a pool in SR for less than $70...as an idea why don't you ask your guide for his/her suggestions on a hotel...?? gpanda did that with good results recently...

i don't see the issue of staying on the river as one of wasting time, i see it as a much more pleasant part of the city, observing the river life (which was after all the history of bkk), and a bit of an oasis in a bustling city....i further like the marriott partially because of the more than pleasant 12 minute boat ride each day or several times per day enroute to the skytrain or other river hotels and that general area....

if you have been warded off from the river then i would suggest that the most central place to stay would be along sukhumvit between sois 2 and 21....on sukhumvit itself this includes the jw marriott, majestic grande, landmark, sheraton grande, westin and perhaps the emporium suites...there are also many many hotels, serviced apartments and guesthouses on the sois in this area, but they are not as convenient as right on sukhumvit...

a second alternative would be in the wireless rd, ruam rudee, rachadami rd areas...hyatt, plaza anthanee, conrad, 4 seasons, marriott mayfair, centre point, intercontinental, holiday inn plenochit, and many others...

there is no one area that is perfect in bkk...things are so spread out...the skytrain is a wonderful addition in combo with taxis for getting around quickly and inexpensively...

don't know where you are coming from but if it is a long airplane ride like from usa, you will be beat for at least your first day or two, so this is almost wasted time...

have you looked at the www.huahin.20m.com hotel site...quite a bit of savings there...inclusive pricing...your $100 will not go too far for lux in bkk....one addition is the chateau de bangkok not far from the 4 seasons...
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. I will check out the hotels along sukhumvit, though we may still stay by the river....too many options!
We are coming direct from JFK so we will be tired, but we have written off the first day for relaxation and recovery.
Our prices are fairly flexible, so we may decide to just spend the $ anyway since its our honeymoon. I was thinking if we can still get a decent place for $100, then that is more money left to shop with!
Thanks again for all your feedback. I'm sure I'll have many more questions as it gets closer!

Old Aug 15th, 2005, 04:26 AM

In BKK, stay on the river. It provides a respite from the go-go of the city. it's essential to have a relaxing base from which you can sally forth. You can probably get the Marriott Resort or the Royal Orchid Sheraton for $100-$120.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 05:05 AM

Another vote for the river. Check out the marriott or Royal Orchid -- the latter being more convenient. You also might check out the Shangri-la which often has some good specials.
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, I think we might go for the river now, esp since we'll be at the four seasons later in our trip. And I think my fiance would prefer the river, too, so it wouldn't hurt to compromise a bit. I'm sure we won't be disappointed. Looks like we can get a good deal at the marriott.
For those who stay by the river, do you leave in the morning and not come back until the end of the day or do you make trips back and forth? And do you travel by taxi mostly or is boat/sky train the way to go along the river? Thanks for all the feedback!
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 11:49 AM

If you are not used to the heat and humidity that BKK will have then I would suggest early morning out and back to the hotel mid day to rest, refresh, pool/spa- then out in the late afternoon.
Another way to beat the heat is have Ratt take you around to all of the sites. Do a search on this forum for Ratt and you will get a lot of info about her and her services. I would book Ratt for half days. However you choose- take it SLOW- don't try to cram too much into each day- the heat will drain you!
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 07:09 PM

like bill has said and i will add since i am from boston so assume you have a similar climate where you are....the heat and humidity will be something that will be completely foreign for you...remember the very worst day in your locale during the last couple of weeks...well that is bkk 24 hours a day, 365 days per year...other than getting to bkk, this humidity is the only negetive i can think of...anyways...

we find that we plan to do one or two things in the morning and usually one in the afternoon...often we return to the hotel in between...

the marriott has a wonderful boat taking you back and forth to the skytrain and it takes 12 minutes...on the way back they give you ice cold bottled water and an iced face cloth...you die for those every trip...they are the only hotel that does this by the way...

we find that the very best way to rejuvinate ourselves from the heat is to use the pool...we usually do this in the morning before we leave and at least one other time during the day...

we use the sky train and we use lots of taxis...taxis are very cheap...they start at 35 B and the meter goes up slowly...so if i were going to shop at some place like the jim thompson outlet on soi 93, sukhumvit i would take the boat to taskim and then the skytrain to on nut station and then promptly hail a taxi for the next couple of blocks...the a/c can make all the difference in the world...so you will arrive at JT not all sweaty and worn out from the heat....sometimes even though the skytrain is across the street or a block away i bag it and take a taxi back to the hotel just for comfort and ease...it takes way longer however...
the skytrain is very well air conditioned....sometimes almost too cold...
the sub way really doesn't go any place tourists want to go except the nite market and the weekend market...so it is almost useless for you....

you might want to hire someone like ratt to drive you around to some of the tourist sites...you can easily do it on your own but if she drives you you will have the benefit of cold water and a cold car in between sites and also you do not have to do any of the planning as i am sure you will be planned out after the wedding...just a thought for you.,..

go for the river ...it is the best...many couples that i have suggested the marriott to have thanked me afterwards...its not the most lux but it is very nice and the price is just what you are looking for...
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Just wanted to thank you all for your feedback. We decided to just splurge and booked the Peninsula for our first 4 nights in bangkok. You only honeymoon once, right? My question is whether it is worth it to upgrade the room or not? Its somewhere around $25 more for the grand deluxe, but I'm figuring the regular rooms are probably still very nice? Also, is there one restaurant there that we shouldn't miss? We'll likely eat eslewhere most days but our first night we will probably not want to go anywhere after a 17 hour flight! Thanks again for all the help.
Kristen
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 05:00 AM

I stayed at the Penn in June and was offered an upgrade to grand deluxe upon check in for $10 so it may be worth waiting until you arrive. IMO there is little to choose between the regular and GDL although do try to get a room at the end of the corridor as some of the rooms can be directly overlooked from other rooms due to the shape of the building.
Have you considered one of the 1 bed suites? They are really nice and weren't al ot more expensive (at least that was the case a couple of years ago)than the GDL. Also, if you haven't already done so, email them to let them know it is your honeymoon & you might get a free upgrade (or at the very least a bottle of wine on arrival). Have a great honeymoon.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 06:03 AM

i don't understand this one room overlooking another...i have not found that in several stays...all the rooms have great views..

the upgrade is not worth extra money really...you will get a nicer room but it all depends on your priorities...

there are several nice restaurants...after the 17 hour flight you may just want something simple and opt for room service...

the chinese rest. in the lower level is very nice....jesters is fantastic but not when you are tired and the same thing holds true for thaliptha (sp)....the general restaurant whose name i do not know is good and you can get a simple meal there....it is where you have breakfast....that might be the best if you are tired...you might get a hamburger or something there...
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 06:13 AM

Regular rooms at the Pen are very very nice. Upgrades are not necessary. I have stayed in regular tooms and in a balcony room. Although we enjoyed the balcony, it is the location in the center of the building that causes the river view to be blocked just a little bit. The regular rooms have walls of windows with amazing views. I would opt for a regular room.

(I did a quiet "yippeee" when I read that you had picked the Pen)
Carol
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 01:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I would not upgrade to a balcony, it's too hot there to sit out and enjoy it. I would upgrade to a grand deluxe however. I've stayed in both and the grand deluxe rooms are on higher floors. Otherwise they are the same. In your case, I would probably not pay for an upgrade but as crellston said, email them and let them know that it is your honeymoon and you would like a very nice room. They probably will upgrade you, I've been upgraded for free for no reason at all.

I would also suggest Jesters, it is fabulous, but do not eat there the night you arrive. Bob is correct, you will sleep through your meal. Save it for the next night.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 02:07 PM
ccc

We really enjoyed Thiptara, which is the Thai restaurant at the Peninsula. We thought the atmosphere down by the river was great and the prices reasonable - especially considering it was at the Peninsula. Just don't order water. It was $9 for a medium sized bottle of Evian. If you are on a budget - or even if you're not - this will make you crazy. Am assuming this is the same at the other Peninsula restaurants.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 02:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, we never paid anything like that for bottled water at the Pen. But we usually order no name bottled water. Tastes the same to me but without the little bit of fizz.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 02:22 PM
ccc

No fizz in this. Just plain water. I realized after the fact why our waitress was so diligent in offering it to us. Wouldn't be surprised if she isn't Employee of the Month at the Peninsula this month.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 06:20 PM

the bkk hotels seem to have discovered the water scam...i noticed it last year and this year....in the sh-la i paid $7.50 for the pint sized Evian...i was bull s____ needless to say...it ruined my dinner and karen's listening to me...i objected and they smilled...you have to ask for regular bottled water in some of the top notch places...sometimes it is listed on the menu so i now look carefully...never had to do that before...the waiters are related to the taxi drivers???
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 12:15 PM

Another "yeah!" for the Pen, we loved it and found the location and necessary boat rides a lovely part of the experience. We had a basic room and it suited our purposes just fine. Not huge, but still had all the bells and whistles, the amazing bathroom, and a great view. [The issue with rooms overlooking each other is that most rooms are not rectangular but have a set of windows directly facing the river, and then another set on an angle cutting in from those. Because the side of the building is a V, those angled windows face each other, so you do see people in rooms across from yours. But this is not a real nuisance, just watch what you're wearing while the shades are open!]

Old Aug 19th, 2005, 02:55 PM

Here are some good Siem Reap hotels around $70 or just slightly over that you might consider. All have a pool and rates are based on 2005/6 high season and include taxes/service/breakfast. They have received mostly good reviews

Borann L'Auberge des Temples - In town $73 A/C Room

Borei Angkor - In town - $61 Del Room

City Angkor - Outside of town - $70 Std Room

Day Inn Angkor & Resort - In town - $71 Del Room

Goldiana Angkor - Outside of town -$65 Del Room

It should be noted that hotels are overpriced compared to Thailand and the rest of Cambodia. Even the 5 star ones while nice, don't really measure up.