Notices

Thailand Beaches--Need suggestions

Old Mar 21st, 2006, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand Beaches--Need suggestions

My husband and I are planning a trip to Thailand and Cambodia in November. We would like to end the trip with a wonderful resort on a beach in Thailand. Does anyone have any thoughts on the island(s) least likely to be rainy in mid to late November. Also any wonderful hotel recommendations? We are planning to splurge. Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 10:34 AM

Well, for a splurge and relaxation, you might look at Zeavola on Phi Phi (www.zeavola.com). It's new, so they have some great introductory rates right now. If you actually try to reserve a room, the special rates will come up. They are much better than the rates posted on the site. I'll be staying there for a few days next month, so I'll be reporting back!
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks LA. The web site looks great. I will be anxiously awaiting your report when you return. Have a great trip.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 01:08 PM

Krabi is really nice. We liked it better than Phuket in November. We stayed at the Sheraton Krabi and froliced with the baby elephant. Much fun. If your budget can handle it, the Rayavadee is super.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 02:09 PM

Speaking of Krabi, I'll be trying out the new Central Krabi Bay Resort (http://www.centralhotelsresorts.com/ckbr_default.asp) next month too. You might consider this place too if Krabi is appealing to you. I'll be reporting back on it as well.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

So many choices, so little time....! Thanks to all of you. I will be doing my homework and be busy checking out web sites this weekend. Never thought of Krabi before but will be looking at the resorts suggested, also Phi Phi and Phuket. In general, in your experience, are weather patterns similar in all 3?
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 08:18 AM

Weather would be almost identical as very close to eachother.
They are however very different indeed. Phi Phi is a small island, there was heavy buildings in the main area which mostly got washed away in the tsunami, it was becomming very crowded. But as a small island although sufficient different places to eat is ideal for those who are seeking a relaxing place that isn't "too" quiet.

Krabi is an area which includes different resort areas, Ao nang is the busiest , Railey is a nice beach but it needs a journey by boat to/from, it's a mainland area so getting to other places is easy and also boat trips around Phang Nga, plenty of restaurants and sufficient bars for those who seek just 'bars' and not heavy nightlife.

Phuket although techinicaly an island is linked to mainland by a short bridge so easy access to other locations, Varied number of beaches ranging from quiet to Patong wiich is crowded, lively, heady nightlife, clubs etc etc, so all 3 locations are quite different. Phuket also has shopping malls ( and traffic jams in some areas ! ) Billboards promoting latest Scandinavian and steak restaurants, in Patong McD, Disney Store, Starbucks, H'Daz etc etc, but beaches such as Surin, Nai Harn, Kamala and Kata are quieter and allow a more relaxing time yet you can easily get to nightlife and malls 'if you wish'. So hopefully you get the picture that these 3 are very different.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks JamesA. Much more helpful information than I have found in any of the guidebooks! We're definately not into nightlife--looking for beautiful beach, wonderful hotel, good food and scuba diving is a plus. Also, hope to avoid big crowds by the time we get to this part of our vacation (after Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Angkor Wat). Sounds like Phi Phi might best fit the bill.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 03:45 PM

You might also consider Khao Lak which is an hours drive north of Phuket. You fly into Phuket and catch taxi up to area. Some nice resorts Merlin, Le Meridien or Sarojin which all have good reviews recently. It is a nice quiet area, top class resorts with nice beaches. Good luck in your research.
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 05:34 PM

I agree that Khao Lak might be a good place to consider. The beaches up by the Sarojin and Le Meridien are very good, clean, lovely to look at and quiet. The Sarojin is much smaller than Le Meridien so is attractive to us...but was sell beyond our budget during peak season.

We stayed at the Merlin this past January, and it was fine...not a splurge kind of place imo, but fine. The beach was gorgeous there and to the south of the Merlin is about a kilometer of completely undeveloped jungle/coast that is serene.

Khao Lak also really, really could use your tourist money. Plenty of tourists have been going to Phuket and Phi Phi...but Khao Lak is still well behind in tourist numbers. Tour companies aren't using Khao Lak hotels currently, mostly because of ongoing construction. While we could clearly see tsunami damage and construction, it wasn't a problem in any way. I don't think you'd be bothered a bit at the Sarojin or Le Meridien...we weren't able to hear or notice the construction going on right next door (north side) to the Merlin....unless we chose to go have a look, which we did.

As far as rain, it's a risk at that time of year, maybe less so on the western side than the eastern side. I wouldn't let rain bother you too much...we had rain in Janauary, and it didn't bother us at all...spa time!
Old Mar 25th, 2006, 05:41 PM

One more thought...for scuba, note that Khao Lak is the closest to the Similan Islands...awesome diving there. The Sarojin does their own trip out to the Similans if I remember correctly...and there are a few dive operators in town that do courses and trips, including liveaboards.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Sarojin looks incredible on its website. Have any of you stayed there? TripAdvisor has some great reviews and makes me think this might be the way to go.............
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 01:53 PM

We didn't stay there..not because we wouldn't want to but because it was out of our budget and seems more adult - not so fun for an 8 year old.

What I might do is e-mail them directly with what you are looking for/expecting/hoping for in your stay and see what they come back with.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 03:28 PM

i booked 5 nights at Sarojin for end of April...so I'll let you know!
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Jim...I will await your report!