Search

Accommodation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accommodation

I will be in Kyoto in May 2006 and would like to stay at a traditional Japanese inn.

My travel agent has tried but most are full due to local holidays etc but managed to secure a room at Station Ryokan Seiki.

Has anyone stayed there and able to comment on the facilities?

Thanks
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 06:44 PM

Well...it's not a real ryokan, but more like a minshuku/pension place that uses the word ryokan in their name. It will be a place to sleep on tatami and perhaps the owners are friendly and speak some English. It will not be a traditional ryokan experience. They have some photos here. http://www5.ocn.ne.jp/~seikis/introd...tml#room-photo

When in May...if it's in Golden Week (until May 7) you may have trouble. But, the trouble could also be your price range...a real ryokan will cost you considerably more than Seiki does, so if you've asked your travel agent for a budget range place, Seiki is typical of what you will find in the under 10,000 yen/night range.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 06:47 PM

Maybe this link will actually work.
http://www5.ocn.ne.jp/~seikis/
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 06:48 PM

OK...copy the whole link because it just doesn't seem to highlight the whole thing. You need the ~ mark and seiki for the link to lead anywhere.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 11:14 PM

Bonjour Lefteyeball,

I stayed at Seiki in March 2003. The rooms are small, but clean, there's free internet access in the lobby, washing and drying machines, the owners are friendly although they speak only little English, and the neighborhood very quiet at night.

The location is very, very convenient (3 min from the station, 5 min to Toji Temple), there's a number of ok restaurants nearby (good ones in the Avanti dept store, which also has a good bookstore on the last floor), a convenience store (Lawson's I think) across the street.

All in all, I found it a good value.