Thailand; Honeymoon.

Search

Thailand; Honeymoon.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand; Honeymoon.

Hello, we are thinking about Thailand for our Honeyoon (May 4 - 20). I have just started to begin the research, so I would appreciate if you could offer some input, links, etc.<BR><BR>We are looking for a combination of adventure (sea kayak, hiking) and leisure (beach, swimming). <BR><BR>Any help is greatly appreciated!<BR><BR>Mark
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 10:02 AM

i posted to your first message, see above
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 10:59 AM

Krabi Koh Samui or Phuket are your best bets, hotel/resort depends on your budget, if you want a reasonable price hotel on the beach try 'Kata Beach resort', if you want something tropical and romantic try the Phuket Chedi.<BR>On Koh Samui 'Poppies' or 'Munchies', or for something more classy the Imperial Tongsai Bay or Le Meridien.<BR><BR>If you want sea kayaks and adventure stuff I would opt for Phuket as the most activities of the lot, you can day trip to Phi Phi, Krabi, and the amazing islands and rock formations around Phang-Nga bay.<BR><BR>http://www.patong-beach-hotels.8k.com<BR>also links to the other beaches/islands plus some specific hotel tips, links to lots of hotel photos.<BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 11:28 AM

I would do some research on a weather site like worldclimate.com, before deciding if Thailand is the spot. We went in April 2000 to Phuket and it was great. But, I believe the rainy season starts in May. I seem to recall that May and September are the two wettest months.<BR><BR>Weather aside, Phuket has much of what you are looking for. Plenty of outdoor activities and day trips, coupled with great beaches.<BR><BR>
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 08:23 AM

Hi, I am also looking at honeymooning in Phuket or Krabi in mid-May. however, when I saw the rainfall charts I got a little worried. Has anyone been there yet and was it just &quot;too&quot; rainy or the water too choppy for excusions, etc? (I may repost this on the main board. I was also thinking of the Chedi so I'm glad to hear its recommended.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 01:18 PM

Hello. we are also loving the idea of thailand for our honeymoon...1 week of leisure on beaches,islands and one week of adventure activities. Sadly we hear that OCTOBER is NOT the best month to travel in Thailand...RAIN?? anyone have any experience with this?
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 03:12 PM

The Chedi is a very good choice and has many plus points, overall very good. Just note that is it a long way from the busier resorts so if you like to wander around evenings, shopping, restaurants and perhaps some nightlife then you need a busier area, if you want tropical relaxation then the Chedi is fine. Some room quite a hike though!<BR><BR>May to October is when it rains in the far south and south west. May to October is the DRY season on the Gulf side, i.e Koh Samui up to Hua Hin/Cha Am, Pattaya, Koh Samet, Koh Chang etc. So in those areas expect little or NO rain.<BR><BR>May-October is rainy season around Phuket/Krabi/Phi Phi/Trang Province/ the south.<BR><BR>Now....low season as it is sometimes known in the south is when there are less tourists. That is because it is not the normal vacation time for Asians, and most people in Europe vacation/holiday close to home in Spain, France, Greece etc, same applies for North America where less people travel far for the 'sun', not necessary.<BR><BR>Yes it can rain, it might be heavy, it could last a few days, equally you might not see a single drop in you whole time! Tropical rain is often hard and fast, big storm, blows over, blue skies. <BR>If you let some rain borther you, then that is down to you personally, if you don't let it bother you, then it won't.<BR>It is 99% a 'mindset thing'. The only ways any rain can affect your enjoyment is that is very heavy rain causes a transport delay, or it means you cannot go on a planned tour, or you have to sit under the thatched shaed of your beach hotel relaxing with chat with fellow travellers (not about the rain please ), relax with a good book, catch up on those postcards, or best still put on a plastic sheet, grab your camerca and an umbrella and go 'out'.<BR><BR>Rates are lower May-Oct in general. Honestly I would just look forward to planning and enjoying your trip.<BR><BR>October is the beginning of the high season. October is really the tail-end of the rainy season. Having said that weather past few months has been upside-down-inside-out, with virtually no rain at all south on the coast from Bangkok where it is dry and dusty when it should be green and glowing.<BR><BR>If you plan 1 week beach and 1 week adventure many do Northern Thailand first and then head south for the beach.<BR><BR>
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 09:57 AM

Hi, I am also going to Thailand for my honeymoon, but not until June. www.sawadee.com has info on tons of hotels. Do your research on which islands to go to. While it is rainy an rough seas in Phuket it is nice on the Gulf side. Also, from talking to people, don't let the &quot;rainy season&quot; scare you. If if does rain, it is in short spurts. What a great excuse to head inside with your new spouse!! <BR>If you are interested in diving and snorkeling, Koh Tao comes highly recommended. I am still doing research on that island, but it seems like a nice place to visit....very relaxing. Good luck and have fun!
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 01:29 PM

If you want (comfortable) adventure, the best three days of travelling I have had in my life, and my wife agrees, was the Phang Nga Bay kayaking expedition with John Gray Sea Canoe. They operate out of Phuket but they picked us up on Railey Bay, near Krabi, which in itself may be the most beautiful spot in the world, and would be a great place for a honeymoon. The John Gray canoe trip took us to uninhabited islands with perfect beaches, into hidden jungled sea-caves, through narrow sea-canyons between high jungled cliffs. The food was great, the guides were great, I can't say enough about it. After KRabi and Phang Nga bay Phuket seemed cluttered, noisy, full of American fast food places and expensive. Have a great trip! <BR><BR>You can find John Gray Sea Canoe on the web at www.johngray-seacanoe.com<BR>
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 12:58 PM

all righ then here my present for all of ya... <BR>the thai touist authority has a honeymoon packege that gives a bunch of discounts and things like free 1 hour massage, photo discounts, and 25% discount on intamet spa....<BR>http://www.tat.or.th/campaign/bemyguest/honeymoon.htm<BR><BR>also for shopping trips and buiness trips
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 06:53 AM

May is wet in the South (around Phuket &amp; Samui), but is dry around the Gulf area. Pranburi is a new, rather undiscovered beach in Thailand, close to Hua Hin. I would recommend going there for a romantic getaway, far away from bars and noisy tourists...into a luxurious unbeaten path... I'm still raving about this great little place we found when we were there last time around Dec. Try www.aleenta.com. It's a wonderfully small (10 rooms) but oh-so luxury and hip hotel. Only opened in Jan.