Thailand and Cambodia Hotel Advice

May 11th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Thailand and Cambodia Hotel Advice

Planning our honeymoon in December in South East Asia and would appreciate any insight and recommendations for hotels. We are currently booked at the Four Seasons (formerly the Regent) in Bangkok, Sheraton in Chiang Mai, Shinta Mani in Angkor Wat and Raffles in Singapore. Would love to hear from people who've been to these properties recently and their experiences...

thanks
May 11th, 2004, 06:32 PM

just as alternatives for you to look at...in bkk, i would look at the peninsula....it is every bit as nice as the 4 seasons and is on the river which adds another dimension to your visit... i would save the 4 seasons for chiang mai, if you don't mind the steep price...the sheraton is nice and near to town, but somewhat sterile...the rooms are huge....it is 5-10 minutes from downtown....pool is not too nice...food is ok...4 seasons is fabulous in every way...but way out of town...
raffles is nice but i think you could do better...it largely lives on its reputation...the other lux hotels are nicer and there are lots of them in singapore.
in angkor, i'd prefer either the grand hotel or preferably the sofitel...it is very lovely and less cost than the grand...i do not know shinta mani, sorry....
May 11th, 2004, 09:38 PM

The Shinta Mani is new. It looks great and seems to have its heart in the right place. If you do stay there, nks267, please post a review when you return. I would be interested in it for our next trip.
May 18th, 2004, 09:45 AM

I absolutely LOVE the Four Seasons in Bangkok...it's my home away from home! It's wonderful and the food is absolutely delicious. There are several restaurants at the hotel and the Italian one is the best Italian restaurant in all of Bangkok. There's also a Thai restaurant, Japanese one, a steak house and I think a few other ones.Plus there's a Jim Thompson boutique and one of the best antique stores in Bangkok...name I've forgotten, has a store at the hotel,too. There's also a Shanghai Tang store at the hotel.Everything right at your fingertips. The hotel is beautiful and although it's very elegant, it's quite down to earth. Plus the size is good...not some huge monstrosity of a place like the Erawan next door. It's across the street from the sky train and in the heart of all the shopping. You can walk to shopping areas or just jump on the sky train and stop along the way to the malls and shops...along with great restaurants.You'll love it. Have a great time and I hope you post your experiences when you return!
May 18th, 2004, 03:19 PM

The Four Seasons in Chiang Mai is a great honeymoon place. Beyond beautiful and the service is wonderful. Do get at least one spa treatment. The Sheraton is ok but rather downscale. When we went the 4S was $500 including no food and the Sheraton was $90 including breakfast. You get what you pay for. Not for a honeymoon. We loved the Grand in Angkor. Lots of atmosphere kind of place. Felt as if you went back in time to colonial days. We really like the river hotels in Bangkok. Great to eat and rest in evening looking at the rive and very helpful to take boats for sightseeing. We really like to stay at Four Seasons when we travelbut to us the river is more important in Bangkok. We did not like Raffles in Singapore...they had taken lessons from Disneyland. We liked the Oriental and the Ritz. Thailand is fab or any travel and splendid for a honeymoon. Not planning any beach time?
May 18th, 2004, 04:52 PM

I forgot to add that I also think the Raffles is way overrated and is indeed living on its reputation. I would check into the Ritz Carlton - Singapore- if you don't mind being a bit away from things. Otherwise I would check into the Rendevous which I've recommended to friends and they have loved it. It's totally central and across from the Dhouby Gaut MRT(subway)station.So, it's close to subway and buses. It's actually walking distance from the Raffles..if you'd like to eat there. As for food, I highly recommend Indochine restaurant...the one on Club Street. There's also one a block or two from the Rendevous..which is nice and there's one at the Asian Civilization Museum...I think it's called. But Club street is a great area full of Home Interior design shops and its around the corner from the Hindu temple...Sri something or the other...can't remember the spelling. As for Bangkok...I still give thumbs up to the Four Seasons even though it's not on the river...but in an area where transportation is easier to use to get around Bangkok. Have fun!
May 18th, 2004, 06:42 PM

The Four Seasons in Bangkok is lovely, but I wouldn't stay there. I'm another person who always stays on the river. Staying at the Four Seasons will be just another luxury hotel in a big Asian city. Anyplace you stay on the river says Bangkok. Look at the post on the Oriental vs. the Pen for ideas. I have to say that I've been staying at the Royal Orchid Sheraton for twenty plus years. I always stay in the Towers (great amenities - breakfast plus cocktails and canapes in the evening are included in your room price as well as free laundry). I typically book a Towers Suite (has a jetted tub in the room) for the price of a regular room at the Pen. And you get personalized service that is wonderful.

There are many lovely hotels in SIngapore. Some people love Raffles, some are lukewarm about it. I've never stayed there, but I do always eat at Doc Cheng's in Raffles.
Sep 7th, 2004, 07:43 PM

nks267,
sorry this is unrelated to your question. But I came across your old thread re: Majestic Hotel in Venice. I was wondering, did you ever end up staying there? If so, could you please, please please send me some feedback? i'm still learning to use these boards so could you email me directly at [email protected]

thank you!!!!
Sep 13th, 2004, 04:42 AM

nks267 - and Marilyn - I stayed at Shinta Mani in Siem Reap in Feb this year and loved it. If you search by name of the hotel on this forum my earlier posts will come up. In a nutshell I loved it and the only place I think I would prefer is Amansara at 4 times the cost when i can ever afford it!
Sep 13th, 2004, 09:16 AM

Thank you, hobbes. It's very kind of you to post on this thread and good to know about the hotel.