Honeymoon Help

Old Sep 8th, 2003, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon Help

My fiance and I have finally decided on Thailand as our honeymoon spot. We are going to spend 4 days in Phuket at Le Royal Meridien Yacht Club on Nai Harn Beach.
3 days in Chaing Mai at the Westin and
3 days in Bangkok at the Royal Orchid Sheraton.

Has anyone stayed at any of these hotels?? What do you think of them??
Also, what activities can you recommend? We have an excursion to Phi Phi Island, an excursion to Doi Suthep Temple and a Meo Hill tribe village (in Chaing Mai) and in Bangkok viewing of. the Grand Palace and the Temple of the Emerald Buddha.

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help!
Dana
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 06:44 PM

You probably have enough excursions. You want time to just enjoy the places you've chosen.

I've stayed at the Phuket Yacht club. It's a lovely place - a long way from Phuket town, but I've never liked Phuket town. Spend as much time as you can just enjoying your stay. The excursions are ok, but they take time away from the lovely beach and hotel.

I always stay at the Sheraton Royal Orchid in Bangkok. I hope you've opted for a room in the Towers section. if not, it's worthwhile to upgrade. You get a full breakfast, drinks and hors d'ouvres every evening and free laundry allowance as well as personalized service. Being on the River is perfect - the river is the life blood of Bangkok.

I haven't staed at the Westin in Chaing Mai, though many others on this board have.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 06:56 PM

As far as Chiang Mai goes, the Westin is fine and is conveniently situated near to the Night Bazaar, where you will want to spend at least one evening. After your shopping, if you cross the river you can make your way to the Gallery, which serves excellent Thai food in an old Chinese/Thai house.

You should consider attending a Khantoke one evening; this consists on a northern Thai meal combined with classical Thai dancing. There are a number of places offering these dinners; one of the newest is the Khum Khantoke that features a release of hot air balloons. However, I prefer the show at the Old Cultural Centre, where you see some hill tribe dancing in addition to Thai dancing.

Consider driving out along the Sankmpaeng Road one day, to see handicrafts such as silverware, ceramics, lacquerware, silk and furnishings.

I suggest that when you arrive you try to get a copy of Guidelines and Citylife, both magazines are free and should be available at the hotel. Between them, they contain a mass of information about things to do, places to go and items for sale.
Old Sep 8th, 2003, 07:51 PM

The Westin in Chiang Mai is a good business hotel but not really a romantic hotel for a honeymoon.

Along the same price level, might even be cheaper, is the Tamarind Village Hotel in Chiang Mai. Lovely hotel with atmosphere and charm and I think you will enjoy your honeymoon there. The Regent is also nice but can be very expensive.

Check out the Tamarind's web site: http://www.tamarindvillage.com/
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 01:22 AM

Being a total 'romantic' I think a Honeymoon is about making memories.
I would go for more unique places where those photos and videos you shouw to your Grandkids will mean something.
In Chiang Mai I would spend 1 night at a decent 3-star such as the Empress and then a couple of days at the Sanctuary Hilltribe Resort, see the hilltribes, take the jungle tours, now that makes a memory! Spend a couple of days on a River Raft ( 3/4 star with a/con the works) on the River Kwai and get up to see the sun rise over the river and jungle.
In Bangkok stay at the Marriott Rresort or as you plan, the Sheraton, take a dinner cruise.
In Phuket I would go for the Chedi for tropical style, romantic, or oif you want to add nightlife/shopping to your stay try one of the Garden Cottages at the Club Andaman in Patong ( that is, if you want a busy resort area ), or the Marina Cottages at Karon for Thai style romantic still close to restaurants.

Old Sep 9th, 2003, 05:58 AM

I would have had no problem staying at the Westin on my honeymoon. Chiang Mai does not really have a great selection of lodging in town and the Westin is the best of the lot. How much time do you spend in the hotel anyway? I suggest hiring a driver rather than going on excursions (tours?). Have the driver take you to the elephant camp, Doi Su Thep, and shopping on Sankampaeng Road. The Hill Tribe village probably won't be a very authentic experience but would be worth doing if you aren't visiting any farther north. Chiang Mai is also a great place to dine--the Gallery recommended above has nice atmosphere and decent food. Also Once Upon a Time and the Riverside for river side dining. The Night Market is worth a visit but it is a 5 minute tuk-tuk ride from the Westin.
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 08:32 AM

I'd agree with Hanuman that the Westin is too...institutional whereas Tamarind Village is cozy and peaceful for a honeymoon- be sure to ask in advance for a 2nd floor deluxe room: (#1201 has its own balcony overlooking the Tamarind tree and the top of a nearby chedi- just the spot for a quiet evening.) As for the tours, I'd also go with just hiring a cab to take you up to Doi SuThep and back. He will generally wait for you and charge no more than 1000 bht. Whatever you do, don't take the cable car at the temple. It looks old and rusty and we understand from friends that last year it failed and killed or injured several people. Walk up, the view alone is worth it.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 12:07 PM

My wife and I stayed at both the Le Meridien and the Westin when we visited Thailand last month, and enjoyed both hotels. The Le Meridien rooms are gorgeous, and its facilities are such that we never felt any need to leave the hotel. I just wish it didn't rain as much as it did in Phuket while we were there. One excursion in Phuket which I would recommend is the sea canoe day trip. We used www.seacanoe.net, and had a wonderful time.

The Westin was very nice as well, and given that this was our first trip to Thailand, we were glad we stayed at a well-known hotel used to dealing with Americans. My favorite excursions in Chiang Mai were our trip to Doi Suthep, our trip to the elephant camp, and our favorite by far, our cooking class at the Regent Hotel. We spent an entire day at the Regent, between the cooking class and several treatments at the spa, which is ranked #2 in the world.

In Bangkok we stayed at the Peninsula, so I can't comment on the Sheraton. The Peninsula was amazing, though.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 02:05 PM

I'll add my "yes" to the Westin in Chiang Mai. I have stayed there on a number of trips. I always use the same driver. His name is "Jit" and he parks his car outside this hotel. There are a number of drivers outside this hotel, on the street, and anyone of them would be good. We pay Jit 1000 baht (plus tip) for the day (which usually starts around 10:00 or later, and ends after the night market). Doi Suthep is a great choice for a sight-seeing trip. The view from high on the mountain is awesome.

There is also a monkey school near Chiang Mai. Monkeys are trained to pick coconuts! You can interact w/monkeys and feed them. Interesting!

I also agree that you should see one of the Khantoke shows w/Thai dinner. We went to a "Khantoke Palace" for ours.

I think the trip to Phi Phi Island is a good idea for one day on Phuket. The rest of the time you should save for the beach and just taking your time visiting the different towns/beaches on the southwest side of the island. Kata, Karon, Patong.. all have their beaches and shops and restaurants.

I've stayed on Kata Beach at the Boathouse and Villa Royale 3 times. Excellent! The villas, although pricey, would be very romantic. Only problem is, they are on a lovely rock outcropping instead of a real beach. But the pool is lovely, and most of the time you have it to yourself. With only 6 villas on the grounds, the place can be fully booked and you'd never know it! The service is fabulous! The Boathouse Resort is on Kata Beach and is nice, but not as "unique" as the 6 villas are.

People come to the Boathouse for the food which is always excellent and the extensive wine list which can't be beat on Phuket!

Carol
Old Sep 17th, 2003, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for everyone's help and opinions. If you think of anything that is a MUST please let me know!
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 12:09 AM

Just got back from Thailand yesterday and had a great time. On our Phuket leg of the trip (last week) my wife and I stayed at the Yacht club and had a pretty good time. I spent weeks researching where to stay and had mixed results with the place. Heres the good and the bad:
It was WAY out. About 45 minutes from the airport. If you want to hit the bars or go out you need to take a car. The cabs and hotel cars are somewhat of a hassle and the price adds up. The hotel car will wait while you have dinner or go shopping buts its about $25 US for 1.5 hrs. Cabs arent much cheaper. If you like being secluded this is the place. If you get bored easily DONT STAY HERE.
The restaraunts on premise are VERY expensive. The food is average hotel food. If you dont include breakfast in your rate, breakfast is $30 US for the buffet for two. Dinner for two without drinks will cost you about $30-35 US as well. Lunch was also very overpriced. A burger and fries and a personal pizza was nearly $30 as well. They also post in their hotel welcome book that the two or three restaraunts next to the hotel have given many guests "severe food poisoning" and dont suggest you eat there. I thought this was their way to keep you eating $10 hamburgers at the hotel... Room service was also very pricey...
They only have one pool. Its small by resort standards and was pretty cloudy and not too clear...
The room was beautiful and well maintained. No complaints there. All rooms have a great view of the bay.
The front desk staff was great and very helpful, the restaraunt staff was pretty grumpy by Thailand standards. Once again, the food was pretty mediocre...
While they were nice, EVERYTHING had a price. I asked the conceierge to call and confirm and activity, and he said sure but the would have to charge me for the call! I have never had a concierge bill me for a 1 minute call before...
The beach was nice and the surroundings were beautiful. This was definetly the high point of the hotel.

All in all if I had to choose again, I might pick somewhere else. If your on a budget (we weren't) you should probably look elsewhere. PYC is nice, but VERY pricey. This is Thailand and should be affordable. We could have stayed at a beach resort in California for the same price (not knocking Thailand just comparing price)...
We met several people who raved about the Marriott in Phuket (FYI)
Also, I know you said you already picked this for your honeymoon, but have you considered Italy or if you have your heart set on a beach trip, how about Hawaii? I am not knocking Thailand (we loved it) but it is pretty intense at times (especially Bangkok). Good Luck!