Thailand alternative destination

May 16th, 2010, 09:48 PM
Original Poster

Thailand alternative destination

My family will be traveling to Thailand on May 27-30. If the situation won't get better by then in Bangkok what other destination in the country would you recommend? Or shall we just cancel our trip? Thanks!
May 16th, 2010, 10:28 PM

What are your interest? Have you been here before? The more popular destination are either the North of Thailand like Chiang Mai or the South of Thailand like Phuket for the sea and beaches. If you're coming from far, like the US or Europe, then for 3 - 4 days is not really enough time to do much.
May 17th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Original Poster

We're just from PI and this is our first time to visit your country. It's our 10th year anniversary and been planning this trip since january. We don't want to spend more money in booking domestic flights from Bkk since we are scared it will also go to waste if the situation intensifies and affect the whole country. We are thinking of just to going to Pattaya. Would that be a good alternative?

Hanuman, I've been following your other trend and before I think you mentioned that it is still safe to visit places in Bkk that are far from the protest area. If so, do you think we can still visit like Chatuchak, Siam Niramit or Ayuttaya? Thanks!
May 17th, 2010, 12:21 AM

Mabu hai Bella. If you want to visit Bangkok and stay clear of the protest area then you should be fine BUT transportation and other infrastructures will be disrupted. If the unrest situation intensify then you might be subject to martial law and/or curfew. Being stuck in a country under these circumstances will not be ideal.

Also, Pattaya IMO is not really that great, a bit like Subic Bay with lots of seedy night life. Nice hotels, restaurants but mixed in with that it is an area known for organize crime and prostitution.

If you want a beach destination and you don't want to fly then there are places like Hua Hin(2.5 hrs drive), Koh Chang(4 - 5 hrs drive plus feery), Koh Kud(same as K. Chang) and Koh Samui which can be reach by a combination of train and ferry.

Chatuchak(also known as "JJ" market) and Siam Niramit might be affected as well if the situation intensify. Many businesses are closing early or closed because of the unrest. Ayuthaya is about 1.5 hours drive North of Bangkok and is good for a day trip.

In all sincerity I would advise that you postpone your trip until you hear on the news that the unrest situation is resolved.
May 17th, 2010, 12:28 AM
Original Poster

Hanuman, thanks for all the information its such a big help! I hope that situation will all be over soon. Stay safe!
May 17th, 2010, 05:29 AM

go to bkk and stay at a hotel along the river... or go to hua hin...hyatt is nice there and so is sheraton....or go to pattaya---sheraton is nice there or marriott..
May 17th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

thanks hua hin resorts looks really nice... =)
May 17th, 2010, 06:50 PM

Yes, Hua Hin would be my choice as well.
May 17th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Is it still safe to stay at a hotel along the river area?
May 17th, 2010, 09:19 PM

>>>Is it still safe to stay at a hotel along the river area?<<<

Warm greetings bella, and, well, as of ~ two weeks back, the Krungthep Wing of the Shangri-La was rather peaceful and productive for a few days of work. Mind you, no family involved, the public transportation was working, the hotel's fine Health Centre masseuses were on-call 24-7, and yes, Singapore Airlines J was as sublime as ever, flying SIN-BKK, round trip. (And, should add, rather decent corporate rates, including a 'sweetener' for those guests unable to stay at the Four Seasons.)

The fine full-time Bangkok residents shall know best with your question. I'm scheduled to go back to beloved Bangkok in less than a fortnight for a few days of work, and currently plan to be 'down by the river', or perhaps the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit. Again, no family travelling with me, just a solo business traveller, so a bit different circumstance.

Hope it works out for you (and all potential Thailand travellers out there). If any consolation, a lovely cousin and her husband and two young children are debating whether to continue on with their early June Bangkok riverside visit. (I'm advising affirmative, being the perpetual optimist, and yes, some personal/professional reasons are 'slightly' involved.)

All the best to you and safe Thai times to all.

macintosh (robert)

... "Khun Robert! Welcome home!" ...
May 23rd, 2010, 06:58 PM

Come to Bangkok as, apart from an annoying 11-00pm to 5-00am curfew, everything is pretty well back to normal.Unforunately Central World has been destroyed but there are many alternatives.