Where to start for Thailand?

Old Nov 10th, 2003, 12:17 PM
adeleh

Where to start for Thailand?

We are thinking of taking a vacation to Thailand this August. At this point it seems like it will be Sydney and Thailand for 3 weeks. This decision was made yesteday and I have no clue about things at the present. Would you please suggest some good websites to start and also can Thailand be done in 2 weeks? How is the weather in August. There will be four of us including two girls 20 and 16.
Would you recommend hotels or B&B? Where do I find some info on first class B&B?
Thank you

Old Nov 10th, 2003, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best website I've seen for detailed overview of Thailand: http://www.hasekamp.net/thaiindex.htm

There are lots of posts in this forum about length of time for various activities. I've not visisted there yet so I won't offer an opinion.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 12:40 PM

www.travelforum.org/thailand/main.html
is a great forum to start with. Are you spending any part of that relaxing on a beach? If you are, you will need to pick carefully(because of the high rainfall in some parts) - Koh Samui would be a good choice. The Thailand travel forum will give you lots of ideas for what to do in and around Bangkok.
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 06:51 PM

don't know about your budget, but generally B&B's is not a thailand things....guesthouses yes, but they are very basic....prices are very cheap in bkk..so if you decide what you want to pay then you could adapt your plans from there....a good hotel website is:
www.asiatravel.com...
as for your time...2 weeks would give you a good first look at thailand...you need to spend some time in bangkok and then could go to the shore and possibly even up to chiang mai....
i would prefer 2 stops....go to bkk for several days...go to another location for 4 days...go back to bkk for the final days...
remember it will be very hot and humid, as it is 365 days per year and this makes moving around difficult...

the kids will love it, especially the cheap and i mean cheap shopping....
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 08:05 PM

For August you needd to forget krabi and Phuket due to heavy monsoon rains. Stick to the Gulf area. Perhaps Bangkok plus some jungle adventure on the River Kwai, road to Hua hin and then Koh Samui for tropical beach fun.

http://www.huahin.4t.com/tips

http://www.freewebs.com/koh_samui_hotels/
Old Nov 10th, 2003, 09:25 PM

Hi

My wife and I have been on vacation to Thailand twice and I have posted trip reports and pictures on my homepage www.gardkarlsen.com On the first trip we did Bangkok, Phuket and Samui and on the second trip we did Bangkok, Krabi and Hua Hin. I hope that my trip reports can give you some idea of what to expect...Thailand is a great vacation destination and I'm sure you wil have a great time

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway