HELP! First trip to Thailand for 3 weeks in Feb. for couple in their 20s

Notices

Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Everyone!

I'll be in Thailand for 3 weeks in Feb. Never been, just got a great deal on airfare. I was looking to find out some suggestions of places to visit, stay, and party. I'm 25 and my wife is 21. We love arts, adtventures, and nightlife. However, keep in mind that we also are not rich. We looking for a fun, somewhat budget trip that will entertain and inform. Any places and means of travel you can suggest would be helpful. We are not afraid to rough it a bit, love adventures, and love to have a good time. Please advise! Thanks for your help in advance.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 02:21 PM

Hey there!

You're going to have a brilliant time! Thailand is wonderful.

Have a look at the Thailand section on my site which should help you out with a couple of good places to eat and shop.

www.mcdougalladventures.com/category/thailand

I think there is a thread floating around with lots more places to eat in Bangkok as well.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 02:27 PM

If you give us some more info on what you're looking for, we can be more helpful.

Do you want cities, beaches, rural areas, archaeological sites? Are you interested in museums, wats (Buddhist temples), treking, arts and crafts, spas? Do you want to shop (for what?)? And what kind of food are you looking for?

What is your price range for accommodations? Are you interetsed in economizing in some areas and splurging in others?

Flying within Thailand is pretty inexpensive.

Read some of the many trip reports here and you'll get lots of ideas.
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 05:39 PM

Well, many younger travelers on their first trip to Thailand follow a pretty standard route; Bangkok, Chiang Mai (in the north) and an island in the South (Ko Samui, Ko Phang nan, Phuket, etc). There's nothing wrong with that. it gives you a good overview of the country and in three weeks you can do it easily.

I assume you'll spend a at least a few days in Bangkok and if you do, I urge you to avoid staying in the backpacker ghetto of Khao San Road. There are tons of cheap but squalid guesthouses there and lots of restaurants, tailors, and travel agents catering to the tourist. However, it's really easy to get a warped (and negative) sense of Bangkok if you stay there. Hotels are cheap; stay some place else and visit Khao San Road if you must.

If you haven't already, check out the Thorntree message board for Thailand on the lonelyplanet.com website. It's geared toward budget travelers.

If you want to get some ideas, my husband and I have been to Thailand a number of times, starting with a RTW trip in 1998 when we were really on a budget. You can see all our trips on our website; http://www.wired2theworld.com

Have you bought a guidebook yet to get some sense of what you want to see? Give us some ideas and we'll give you some particulars.

Have a great trip!
Old Dec 23rd, 2005, 07:07 PM

for an idea about hotels look at this site....hotels are listed first by city and then by street or location

www.huahin.20m.com

where are you coming from??