Search

Thailan Help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailan Help

Hello!

My husband and I will be going to Bangkok, Phuket, Koh Samui and Koh Pangan (for the Full Moon Party) this Sep 2-13. Do you have any suggestions for a tailor that we can get some clothes made? He would like to get a suit and I would like a couple of dresses.

Also, we have plans for getting massages (of course), muy Thai boxing, elephant rides, temple visits and cooking classes - do you suggest anything else that is a must see or do?

What about clothing? What shoes do you suggest we should bring? I feel like we always bring too many shoes on vacation and I want to try and pack as light as possible.

Thank you so much in advance!

-pKat
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 10:01 AM

I never use tailors so can;'t help you there except that out of those places Phuket has more tailors per sq.m that you could handle! They are 'everywhere'. But if you have enough time in Bangkok then others will suggest tailors they can recommend.

For Thai boxing try Soi Bangla near the top end in Patong on Phuket, better in Phuket Town but that's only at weekends ( I think ), the places you are going to are all very tourist orientated, you will find Elephant rides on Phuket with trips also on Samui.
Fr temples statndard BKK tours and sightseeing, on Phuket and Samui you will find plenty of local temples, Wat Chalong on Phuket is one of Phuket's largest ones.

If you are in Phuket early September an Umbrella or clear platic rain-cover recommended, you could be lucky but the it 'is' the rainy season.

if yuo are going to Koh Phangan for the Full Moon then make sure you have your accommodation pre-booked, actualy same applies to others.
For footwear bring well worn in shoes you are comfortable in, good for walking around, something solid and sturdy.
Items such as t-shirts, shorts etc are very cheap and you can buy from markets or often cheaper in the malls from B 70/90/120 range easily.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

thanks James!

Actually, we had to stay in Koh Samui since most hotels in Koh Phangan require a 3 night stay during the FMP. HOw long is the ferry ride back to Koh Samui?

Thanks for all the info!
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 11:00 AM

You are there for a limited time, but are moving around a lot. You will lose most of a day each time you change locations. I think you would enjoy yourselves much more if you cut one location. I'd suggest you cut Phuket. As it's rainy season there, you'll have much better weather in Koh Samui.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

unfortunately, our tickets are non-refundable and we've already booked out hotel (treetops) in Phuket. we'll just have to make do I guess. perhaps drinking lots of fruity cocktails at our resort on the rainy days?
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 12:45 PM

Apart from upsets such as flooding or the power going out luckily I really love tropical rain, the moment it starts to rain I stop work, grab a novel and sit on the covered veranda and 'relax', the frshness in the air, the sound of the rain on the corrugated iron room of the kitchen and watching the water drip off the banana trees, I love it!
After 35 degree temperaturs nothing like it!

You've go exactly the right idea pumakat !, take that time to relax, good novel and an outside verandah with a good lounging chair, nice cocktail, if it rains more head to the spa for a great massage, no worries!
Do take sensible care going back to Samui after the FMP !! I insist on it !
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

James - what do you mean about the FMP? Is it dangerous? How long is the ferry ride back to Samui? Any other advice for the FMP?
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 04:21 PM

Lots of people at the full moon party get themselves so wasted on alcohol and other drugs that they really can't take appropriate care of themselves.
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 04:26 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
I limit myself to two pairs of shoes - one on my feet (comfortable walking shoes) and one in my suitcase (sandals that are comfortable but can be dressed up a little). I don't do much dressing up when I travel). I've never wished I had more shoes. And in Thailand, shoes are cheap and easy to buy (unless you wear a large size). I bought two pairs for $5 each on my last day in Bangkok (managed to squeeze them in the extra backpack I had to buy!).