Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Tentative Malaysia itinerary - your thoughts?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2008, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so FINALLY i have the UK - BKK flights on hold ready to pay tomorrow. (we are flying into BKK instead of KUL due to great EVA air Biz class flights, saving at least £2k!!!)
Holiday is to take place November last 2 weeks in November

So we will fly London to BKK landing at BKK at 15.35 my TA has then suggested a Malaysia flight at 17.10. I am worried this is too tight especially as he told me i WILL have to collect my luggage as i cannot check it thru?

We will get top KL lateish so have booked
4 nights mandarin Oriental - Petronas towers view (visit Malaysia package)
then plan to fly Air Asia to langkawi for 4 nights - can't decide between Meritus Pelangi as previously suggested by JamesA or Casa del mar?? anyone any info? (Datai is too expensive i really need to keep my budget down)
Ferry to Penang 4 nights at the E & O (as suggested by Kathie)
Flight from Penang to BKK 3 nights, stay at Pen or S-La (although prices in BKK have shot up so am still undecided, am also considering the millennium Hilton - great price or Bobs favourite the Marriott)

What do you think of the above itinerary? i am trying to limit flights and too much packing and unpacking. Anyone have any other suggestions for hotels?

thanks
Smeagol
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 01:13 PM

Smeagol,
I am in the initial stages of planning something similar at around the same time but "backwards". We are going to arrive in VN on Oct 28, get to BKK on Nov 8 or 9 and stay through Loy Kratong. Go from BKK to Langkawi either on Nov 12 or 13 and stay probably 4 nights. We'll stay at the MO in KUL from Nov 22-25, when we depart for home. Haven't quite figured out what to do between Langkawi and KUL - - I don't want too many cities so I was thinking about skipping Penang. Will we be in the same place on any date(s)?
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 02:25 PM

I think it looks good. I'd call EVA Air and see whether they will transfer luggage to Malaysian Air. Frankly, I've never run into a full-service airline that wouldn't. It's typically only the budget airlines that won't transfer. Also, check on the on-time record of the EVA Air flight into Bangkok. That should give you the data you need to decide whether to try for the 17.10 flight. I believe that may be the last flight of the day from BKK to KUL, but do check. If there is a later flight, and you book the earlier flight but miss it, Malaysian Air should get you on the next flight.

It sounds like a great trip!
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 09:23 PM
Original Poster

thanks Kathie i will do that. There is a 19.45 on MA so i could go with that if we miss it. I think though i would be super anxious on the way to BKK incase we miss the 17.10 flight. If Eva wont check the luggage thru then i may as well get the 18.10 or 18.45 Air Asia flight?? assuming they go from the same terminal?
DC have you decided where you are staying in langkawi yet?
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 11:28 PM

Air Asia in KUL is a different terminal - they are at LCC (Low cost carrier terminal)- see this:-
"The LCC terminal will also operate shuttle bus services for passengers, who are connecting to other flights at KLIA's main terminal. Getting to terminal can be via buses, taxis and the Express Rail Link (ERL).

The LCC terminal is about 15KM away from the main terminal building by road. Airport officials are still finalising discussions with bus and taxi operators to operate there. A future rail link is also being considered. "

We went to LCC to change Air Asia flights but didn't go to main terminal, but it seems straight forward if you do need to.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Sorry i meant is AA in the same terminal at BKK as thats were i will be catching the connection
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:45 AM

Yes, Air Asia is in the same terminal/airport as you'll arrive in Bangkok. You will definitely have to pick up your luggage and check it if you go with Air Asia. And remember the issues about their baggage limits/no assigned seats.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

You can pay upfront for baggage so was thinking if i pay for say 3 would i not get additional allowance? (if say its 15kg each that would be a total of 45kg???)Its really the take off times that are attracting me to AA but i am going to contact Eva as you suggested to see if they will check it thru.

I haven't really nailed my internal flights yet but YIPEEE i just paid for my flights to BKK so its DEFINATELY on, i am SOOOO excited.