Taj Exotica-Bentota, Sri Lanka

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Expedia have this fine-looking hotel for US65 per twin room per night plus tax. It has mainly great reviews on tripadvisor and I'm wondering if others think we should book in advance for late August or just roll on in and take our chances. I think travellers are returning to Sri Lanka, judging by the difficulty in getting flights from Singapore on the day we wanted to depart.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 02:08 AM

Is a nice property but be aware is not beach front or even near a nice beach. Late Aug I would just take my chances as it is not high season for that part of the world.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

thank you for the advice, hobbes. We'll want somewhere to relax by a pool so beach is not that important. As long as he drinks are cold and the food is good. Any nice restaurants nearby?
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 06:07 PM

Is a bit isolated. We stayed at a hotel further on which was beach front which was devastated by the tsunami. Is a resort holiday type place i.e. spend most of your time on the property.
Old Jun 14th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Original Poster

Tks again, hobbes.

The Taj website shows the hotel as near a great looking beach but not actually beachfront. Looks are deceiving but it does not really matter as we will have 3 nights in Arugam Bay and a further 2 nts at Hikkaduwa for great beaches. All the best.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 12:15 AM

I think I know the beach which is near - we had gone to the Taj for tea and we wandered aorund the property. I saw a beach around a cliff or something - not sure re distance. It is a beautiful hotel wiht trademark Taj attention to detail and great service so sure you will enjoy your stay. Just wanted to make sure you are not expecting a sandy beach behind the porch or something. I think there are definitely other hotels in the vicinity you could try for meals including a heritage property by the famous architect whose name eludes me for the moment.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Thks hobbes.

What "stand-out" value properties did you stay at? We're finding lots of either backpacker or high-end "over the top" kind of prices. Any recommendations much appreciated!
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 09:30 PM

Some more info re budget and what u like would be useful coz Sri Lanka has cities, mountains, beaches, nature, history - but will reply anyway. In Colombo - Havelock Place - www.bungalow.lk or Apa Clombo House. Both boutique properties which I am partial to; stayed at havelock and enjoyed it, not yet at Apa Colombo. River House - www.taruvillas.com. Galle - www.galleforthotel.com. Giritale - Angsana Deer park - recently taken over by Angsana group. www.ecoclub.com has some eco resorts which I have not been to but like the sound of. Villa stays - www.villa-srilanka.com. www.galapita.com. www.bouldergarden.com. Last 2 are interesting looking hotels.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, hobbes for the info. I will check out the websites.

We want to see as much as Sri Lanka as possible in our 3 week trip, however, the mountains & ancient cities are probably where we'll spend most time. Budget of around $50-60 US per night, however some properties are much cheaper in certain areas like Negombo which looks interesting for a couple days, on the way in. It's only 20 mins from the airport instead of heading for Colombo, at 12.15 am. I think we'll catch trains & buses around as finding a driver who is reasonably priced, competent and has a good air cond car is not easy. Anyway, I'll look into your recommendations and I much appreciate the assistance. All the best.