Sumo Tournament

Feb 10th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Sumo Tournament

I am travelling to Osaka during late March when the March Grand Sumo Tournament is on. Does anyone know how I can book tickets to this. I do not speak or read Japanese (I have found a link to a Japanese language website which can apparently be used to book tickets).

Thanks
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:02 PM

http://www.sumo.or.jp/eng/ticket/index.html

Ive been to two tournaments in Tokyo - its a fantastic experience - dont miss it. Not worth going before 3.30 though as thats when all the ceremony and high ranked matches begin for the day.
Feb 10th, 2004, 07:31 PM

You can get tickets on the day(s) that you go. I did this at Fukuoka and Tokyo. I recommend going earlier and spending the time seeing some of the early matches, have a bento, stroll around and check out the souvenirs. The box seats mentioned at sumo.or.jp are boxes with four mats. The tickets you buy at the window would be for chairs around the top of the arena. They are not far from the action, but you could bring a pair of small binoculars. The chair in Fukuoka was just a plastic seat on metal legs. The chair in Tokyo was a nice comfy seat like in a theater. In both cases, I found plenty of room to stretch out.

My point is that it was better, for me at 6' 3" and spending several hours there, to get a chair on the day than to book closer-in box seats in advance.
Feb 18th, 2004, 10:21 PM

so wat is the price of the tickets to these matches?is the sumo wrestling matches held only in march?will there b any more matches aft march?
Feb 19th, 2004, 12:02 AM

To Holywitch this link will give you all your answers
http://www.sumo.or.jp/eng/ticket/index.html