Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

BBC World TV 'Fast Track' report on SQ non-stop LAX-SIN

Feb 17th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

For anyone (I am targeting Asia really here ) who can get BBC World on their Cable/Satelite on their "Fast Track' program this week they have an on-board report of the new Singapore Airlines non-stop LAX-SIN flight and is well worth watching for anyone thinking about this route, it showed clearly that Economy/Coach seating is just 2x3x3 seating with extra legroom, interesting if you can access this station.
Feb 18th, 2004, 05:21 PM

Saw the program last night - thanks for telling us James.

Don't know about taking this flight from Bangkok, 1 & 1/2 hours BKK - SIN add another 1 & 1/2 hours transit then 18 - 19 hours outbound from SIN to LAX. That's 21 to 22 hours of travel time! The other airlines like Thai, Cathay, ANA etc will only take 16 - 18 hours including stop and transit. I guess it only make sense if you live in Singapore.

FYI - I was told by a friend at Thai Intl. that the 747 - 400s can make the journey from BKK - LAX but they need to stop in Japan to pick up or drop of passengers.
Feb 18th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

I don't think it could do it without a weight restriction, the absolute max without having to cut back on passenger loads is about 15 hrs, I think the world record is Seattle-Caope Town/Jo'burg for an SAA 744 but that was empty apart from crew. 777 just did Seattle to Islamabad non-stop. It's interesting that in the 50's Lockheed Constelations were doing West Coast USA to Europe non-stops and I think that was about 15 hours ( imagine that in a 4 engined Piston aircraft!! with the flames flashing from the exhaust..).
Feb 18th, 2004, 10:36 PM

Some of the longest scheduled 744 routes that were flown, or are flown.

HKG-JFK: 8,072miles (discontinued)
JFK-JNB: 7,969miles (S. bound only)
MEL-LAX: 7,921miles

BKK-LAX is 8,263miles. It may be possible in the winter, riding the jetstream on its E. bound flight, but definitely won't make it the other way.

In fact, CX's 744s are having problem making LAX-HKG W. bound in the winter, with frequent fuel stops at TPE, etc... And that's only 7,260miles.
Feb 19th, 2004, 01:18 AM
Original Poster

Not wishing to go too much 'off topic' but there's a neat website that updated news daily, not the boring stuff but news on new routes, airlines and aircraft, some good photos too www.justplanes.com